Engine Temp Sensor

markandcath

The temp needle on my dash board is intermittent and when it goes of the engine idles at over 1k so I am guessing the ECU thinks it is cold.

It should be easy enough to swap it or fix the bad connection but where is it on the TDi PD engine?

Sorry to be a noob but never owned a Seat/VW before.

markandcath

OK I did it and boy what a difference to the smoothness and power of the engine.

It is actually easy if you are prepared to strip a few bits of and move others out the way. For the benefit of others trying to do their own I did it this way:

1) Remove the air hose from the top right of the engine. If is about 12" long and 3" diameter, it is held on but 2 giant hose clips and there is only one sensor to disconnect from the middle.
2) Disconnect the small hose from the header tank and the main front hose, this can then be moved out the way.
3) Remove the fuel filter from its usual place and place it on top of the engine. I used a loose cable tie.
4) You will then see a black connector on the side of the block with 2 hoses coming from it. Remove this (2 10mm bolts) and push it away.

The water temp sensor if then sitting there in plain view and takes 10 secs to change (you pull a clip out and the sensor simply pulls out). You could spend hours trying to do it without taking the bits off the engine but in my opinion it is easier just to do it this way and you know you will be done in less than an hour.

Best of luck guys and thanks for all the help so far, I hope this helps others.

Cheers........

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise