Engine undertray and rear heat shield

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Horrendous noise driving home last night. Checked underside of car this morning and noticed rear heat shield that's located above exhaust box was loose. Thought that was the culprit. Phoned AA. Engineer came out and advised the actual culprit was the engine undertray, see attached. Clips had failed causing it to drag on road. I didn't see it hanging down so assume it must have been only when driving i.e. air/wind force pushing it on to road when moving then it was springing back up when stationery?

Anyways, AA said up to me but don't really need to replace the undertray. He advised similar for the rear heat shield. He couldn't do anything with it as such but advised it won't go anywhere due to its shape, although I might hear some rattling due to it sitting on the exhaust. Car's in for mot next month so will get it looked at then.

So when it comes to both the undertray and heat shield, am I as well not getting them replaced? I always thought it was preferable to have the undertray there to take the brunt of anything thrown up under the car? As for the rear heat shield, I'm not sure if it's absolutely required or not?

Advice please :)

Attachments

• undertray.jpg
    undertray.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 151
Aug 26, 2021
Had something similar happening with my rear heat shield, only rattled when I reversed. Couldn't hear it otherwise, last time it was on a ramp I had a look and it wasn't attached anymore, a good few tugs and it was out. Not had any issues since (probably about 4 months now).

Not sure about the engine undertray, initial thought would be its a good thing to have, just incase a random stone gets on amongst anything important.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You can glue the rear heatshield back in place, stove or flue silicone is upto the job. If it's rotted out then it's a good time to have a look at your backbox and see how much rot that's suffered.

You can buy a 3rd party replacement for the front undertray, should come with all the fixings and stuff.

Reactions: red line fun

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
You can glue the rear heatshield back in place, stove or flue silicone is upto the job. If it's rotted out then it's a good time to have a look at your backbox and see how much rot that's suffered.

You can buy a 3rd party replacement for the front undertray, should come with all the fixings and stuff.
Cheers. Yeah I think I'm happier with the undertray being replaced.

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
If the heat shield has rusted around the screw holes which have give in use big washers as plates and screw back in. Did this on my old car, worked a treat.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise