EPC - Limp mode

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Hi all, just got back from a journey out, noticed halfway back that the EPC light was on, accompanied with a 'Error: Start-Stop System: on MFD.

Foot on floor, had no acceleration but could go faster than 40mph, eventually! Almost like I had no turbo.

Stuck my OBD reader on and that has come back with a P003a fault code.

Anyone seen this before?

Engine off/on again clears it but it comes back after driving afew metres down the road.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So, you have discovered the limitations of a generic OBD2 scan tool, it is telling you the area that is causing this fault, but that is as far as it goes.

I think that either you get someone with a VW Group specific scan tool or a scan tool that includes all codes including VW Group extended fault codes to read your stored codes, and all stored codes that are important should still be held in memory, but, as your profile indicates that your car is a 2016 model, it should still be under warranty, so get your dealer to sort it out ASAP before it causes any other issues.

I would not expect that there are many 2016 1.0TSI owners out there that have had this issue - yet.

Edit:- if used google it would tell that this this could be a boost control issue.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
I've got it booked in for Wednesday at the dealers. Turns out I don't have any roadside assurance as it's over to years old so I'll have to drive it there. Good job I don't need to use it until then.

Just from a bit of googling, does the 1.0 tsi even have an n75 valve? All I can see is reference to the 1.4 Tsi and the 2.0 Tsi.

Yes I think the 1.0 Tsi in the late MK5's was a rare beast. It was mostly still the 1.2 Tsi. So the newer Mk6's will still be quite young, even though I've only got 13k on the clock!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
If you had it dealer serviced, roadside assistance is included for 12 months after the service.
I do, and I did mention that but they said you only get the assistance for another year if you book online, which I didn't.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes that is a nuisance and the main reason I got SEAT to service my daughter’s Ibiza while it was “younger” - that and the possibility that she was going to trade it in against another new Ibiza, but it is too old to get that treatment now and she has AA cover, I think, so I service it, only £30 for a year 9 minor service!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Just an update for anyone interested.
Dealer called today and said the turbo actuator will be replaced and it'll also be getting an ECU update.
They'll have it today and the part will be in tomorrow and I'll be able to pick up tomorrow evening.

Time will tell!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Latest update.
EPC light now gone and stop-start error also gone.

The only reference I could see on the form about the 'ECU update' was that it said 'Recall 23Z5'on the paperwork. Anyone know what this could be?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glove

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Oh well, I went through this rubbish with a 1.2TSI 3 years ago and today, after the first drive for 2 months, the 1.0 has just given us EPC and ENGINE warnings ( P003A ). Better drop it off at the stealer ASAP before it gets worse

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Turbo actuator change under guarantee (phew! £483)

Didn't fix it :(

Turbo change under guarantee. (£££)

Car runs, no warning lights. Hooray. Although it may have a new oil leak?

Many VAG forums think a duff battery is the root cause of this EPC etc fault.

In which case why don't the dealer's try a fresh battery first before racking up £1000s of work?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You would have to expect that in your case they knew better - or are VW Group in complete denial about the battery and charging system on these stop/start cars.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise