Exhaust Systems for the Formentor V2 1.5TSI

• Thread starter Deleted member 135216
  • Start date

Deleted member 135216

Hi All,

First post here. Been dabbling with the idea of getting a custom exhaust done for my Cupra Formentor V2 1.5TSI, mainly for some extra noise and because I don't like the fake exhaust trim.

Has anyone done this before with any success? I've seen a couple photos on other forums where they've used the 310 diffuser, but I popped off my diffuser today to find a metal bar (Picture attached) Has anyone found a way around this or done an exhaust for the 1.5 themselves?

I have the Beats/Spare Wheel options if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6757.JPG
    IMG_6757.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 740

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Coincidentally I just received a full exhaust system for my Formentor yesterday, 1.4 engine, but close enough.
Not many companies make exhausts for our cars yet, and AFAIK the Golf VII and similar exhausts won't fit since the resonator part has Formentor unique bends. If you're only going for the rear muffler the selection broadens a lot. But be aware that we will always be limited in engine sound due to the particle filter :(

What I've got is the Supersprint cat/GPF back stainless system, they also make them for the 1.5 - but it's pricey due to the low demand!

To be honest I can't see the metal bar you're mentioning? There is only plastic in the way of my exhaust tips, but my spec is retractable towbar 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Cupra sees it as a powertrain modification so it will essentially void the warranty for that bit. But if you have a good talk with whatever shop you are going to for service, etc. they don't really care about reporting it (at least the one I talked to). As long as the exhaust is good quality and EC approved.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135216

Coincidentally I just received a full exhaust system for my Formentor yesterday, 1.4 engine, but close enough.
Not many companies make exhausts for our cars yet, and AFAIK the Golf VII and similar exhausts won't fit since the resonator part has Formentor unique bends. If you're only going for the rear muffler the selection broadens a lot. But be aware that we will always be limited in engine sound due to the particle filter :(

What I've got is the Supersprint cat/GPF back stainless system, they also make them for the 1.5 - but it's pricey due to the low demand!

To be honest I can't see the metal bar you're mentioning? There is only plastic in the way of my exhaust tips, but my spec is retractable towbar 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Cupra sees it as a powertrain modification so it will essentially void the warranty for that bit. But if you have a good talk with whatever shop you are going to for service, etc. they don't really care about reporting it (at least the one I talked to). As long as the exhaust is good quality and EC approved.
What a coincidence! How does it sound?

Thank you for your comment, apologies the metal bar I’m referring to is the plastic bar in the middle of the photo. Ideally don’t want to be cutting through that as it’s where the diffuser mounts too. I could probably get a pipe to go under it but fear it would look stupid!

Were you able to route the exhaust out of the back of the car to have visible exhaust tips or did you opt for the stealth exhaust? If you could take any photos of your new system, that would be greatly appreciated! 😊

Thank you once again for your help.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Oh I actually didn't have time to install it yet :flag: but I'm looking forward to having some spare time to do it.

I don't think there's a way around making a cutout in the plastic bar behind the diffuser, doesn't need to be that big though. What I've got is with visible dual exhaust tips, Cerakoted in a copper finish :love: can't wait to get it in there. Like you, I can't stand the fake plastic trims, so aesthetics was a major motivator for me.

Deleted member 135216

Oh I actually didn't have time to install it yet :flag: but I'm looking forward to having some spare time to do it.

I don't think there's a way around making a cutout in the plastic bar behind the diffuser, doesn't need to be that big though. What I've got is with visible dual exhaust tips, Cerakoted in a copper finish :love: can't wait to get it in there. Like you, I can't stand the fake plastic trims, so aesthetics was a major motivator for me.
That sounds amazing! Keep me posted with the results 😍

Are you going to cut out a part of that plastic to install them then? I’m hesitant, but definitely likely to be the only option! Have you also got a 310 diffuser to match or are you going to pop out the fake exhaust trims?

Sorry for all the questions! Want to have all the info I need prior to biting the bullet and ordering the bits! 🤣

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
That sounds amazing! Keep me posted with the results 😍

Are you going to cut out a part of that plastic to install them then? I’m hesitant, but definitely likely to be the only option! Have you also got a 310 diffuser to match or are you going to pop out the fake exhaust trims?

Sorry for all the questions! Want to have all the info I need prior to biting the bullet and ordering the bits! 🤣
You got it!
I'm just gonna cutout the plastic for sure. I've got the usual plain diffuser, so I'm gonna pop out the fake trim. The whole installation looks easy enough to pull off (says everyone before a 30 minute job turns to 30 hours :ROFLMAO: ).

Deleted member 135216

You got it!
I'm just gonna cutout the plastic for sure. I've got the usual plain diffuser, so I'm gonna pop out the fake trim. The whole installation looks easy enough to pull off (says everyone before a 30 minute job turns to 30 hours :ROFLMAO: ).
Good shout! The diffuser is surprisingly easy to get off, there’s a couple of tap ins that need to be removed with a flat head and the rest are torx I believe! (Does need a good yank from the corners to pop off) Haven’t tried to take out the fake trim but it looks like it’s just on clips from the inside.

Good luck with the install! Let me know how it goes, will look amazing! 😍

Reactions: Ninjakebab

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Okay, update time.

Surprisingly, there was a quality issue with my exhaust. A hole in the weld, that I noticed before installation. Contacted Supersprint and they sounded pretty surprised and horrified (y) they paid for express DHL pickup and fixed it in a couple of days and sent it back to me. Really good going on them.

I now have the exhaust itself installed, BUT I have to temporarily go for a stealth finish since the diffuser ended up being a bigger problem than expected: When popping off the fake trim you actually remove the entire underside of the diffuser in the exhaust "channel", exposing everything behind the diffuser to the elements including some cables, plugs and sensors - can't have that :cry:

So it seems a 310 diffuser is by far the easiest way to go, but I won't even guess the price of that. I'm brainstorming about some custom fixes, like molding a bitumen plate to cover up the hole. I'm thinking the 1.4 doesn't end up giving off enough heat to mess it up, especially with dual tips. So I'm currently in creative mode for a fix.

The sound: Oh boy, the sound :love: it's suddenly come alive and showing it exists. It's a very bass-y smooth sound, but with no rasp or rumble or roar to it, would like a bit more of that though. I'm thinking the GPF is what smoothens it all out. No need for the fake engine sounds anymore though, haha.
Cold start is really intense with a super deep tone to it. Slight drone a highway speeds but nothing obnoxious. I really like it so far.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Okay, update time.

Surprisingly, there was a quality issue with my exhaust. A hole in the weld, that I noticed before installation. Contacted Supersprint and they sounded pretty surprised and horrified (y) they paid for express DHL pickup and fixed it in a couple of days and sent it back to me. Really good going on them.

I now have the exhaust itself installed, BUT I have to temporarily go for a stealth finish since the diffuser ended up being a bigger problem than expected: When popping off the fake trim you actually remove the entire underside of the diffuser in the exhaust "channel", exposing everything behind the diffuser to the elements including some cables, plugs and sensors - can't have that :cry:

So it seems a 310 diffuser is by far the easiest way to go, but I won't even guess the price of that. I'm brainstorming about some custom fixes, like molding a bitumen plate to cover up the hole. I'm thinking the 1.4 doesn't end up giving off enough heat to mess it up, especially with dual tips. So I'm currently in creative mode for a fix.

The sound: Oh boy, the sound :love: it's suddenly come alive and showing it exists. It's a very bass-y smooth sound, but with no rasp or rumble or roar to it, would like a bit more of that though. I'm thinking the GPF is what smoothens it all out. No need for the fake engine sounds anymore though, haha.
Cold start is really intense with a super deep tone to it. Slight drone a highway speeds but nothing obnoxious. I really like it so far.
Photos Ninj! Photos! And maybe a vid for the growl.

Deleted member 135216

Okay, update time.

Thanks for the update! Great to hear that Supersprint were easy to deal with regarding the manufacturing issue. Shame to hear about the issues with the diffuser, but definitely agree that those cables and sensors are hidden for a reason - so best to keep them away from the road elements!

I've decided to just go with the stealth exit for the moment, done by a custom company, and will hopefully be booked in shortly for the work done. As much as I love the idea and look of the quad tips, it seems like a lot of effort and expense (and I really just want that noise you describe!)

Keep us updated on how the quad exit goes in the end! Would be super interested to see how it turns out, as it's definitely an option for the future for myself (unless I upgrade to a Golf R first, lol!)

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Thanks for the update! Great to hear that Supersprint were easy to deal with regarding the manufacturing issue. Shame to hear about the issues with the diffuser, but definitely agree that those cables and sensors are hidden for a reason - so best to keep them away from the road elements!

I've decided to just go with the stealth exit for the moment, done by a custom company, and will hopefully be booked in shortly for the work done. As much as I love the idea and look of the quad tips, it seems like a lot of effort and expense (and I really just want that noise you describe!)

Keep us updated on how the quad exit goes in the end! Would be super interested to see how it turns out, as it's definitely an option for the future for myself (unless I upgrade to a Golf R first, lol!)
If its just noise you want, drill a hole in the exhaust pipe underneath 😂

Nov 15, 2021
Hello!

I replaced the end muffler and now i have 4 muffler tips like VZ (mine is with 190hp engine). Has anyone remapped to get the Pop&Bang function?

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022

Finished it!

It needs cutting of the plastic wall that you also identified, if you want visible tips. But definitely possible.

Jan 28, 2023
I have 2 Simons reso. Also two straight bipe with exhaust throttle module controlled by vacuum open. View attachment 34433
Looks nice, did you just cut straight through the cover or also the bottom part underneath? Had a look at mine today trying to work out how to get it done.

EDIT, how did you get the diffuser off? had 6 or something screws out but still couldnt get it off...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021
Looks nice, did you just cut straight through the cover or also the bottom part underneath? Had a look at mine today trying to work out how to get it done.

EDIT, how did you get the diffuser off? had 6 or something screws out but still couldnt get it off...
Hi!
I did not cut the bottom part of underneath (you will fit there 3" bipe end (muffler tip) nicely). I took off the whole rear bumper, then it is much easier to get the lower part off/apart.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.