Extended manufacturer warranty

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Hi all

My 3 year warranty is about to run out in 3 weeks (just as well an ESP fault happened now then! - got it booked in to get looked at). But I got a letter from seat offering a 12 month extension including breakdown cover.

There's no details of price and what's covered.

has anyone else taken this? any ideas on cost and what's covered?

cheers

cmc

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
*bump*

Did anyone ever get a letter from Seat offering a 12 month extension? if so how much was it and do you think an after market one would be better? It doesn't give the price in my letter.

Cheers

cmc

jbs

Mine ran out for my TDI Sport in December last year and the dealer suggested I ran the Seat helpline for their own scheme as I had not recieved any notification or invitation from Seat to extend. Nice lady answered and put me through to.... the AA. As I already had enrolled in AA relay etc when Seat recovery ran out I took up the option for breakdown repair cover. Works out quite a bit cheaper than other after- market schemes though there is a max limit of £500 per claim and 5 claims in any one year.
Hope this helps.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i wouldnt use any other aftermarket warranty scheme other than SEATS own warranty.
this is speaking from personal experience using an RAC after warranty.

Car failed its MOT on wheel bearing , 54 plate with 54 k miles on a peugeout.
garage said they would ring warranty company on my behalf cause wheel bearing will be covered , but the RAC said no cause it has not dissintergrated so its wear and tear.

i phoned the RAC to argue the toss , and told them if a wheel bearing has failed its failed there is no grey area , if the wheel bearing had broken up i would have been in a ditch , probably dead , the guy would not budge , even when i explained to him that being a mechanical engineer for the last 20 + years and the fact i deal with bearings didnt make any difference.

point is they wont shell out unless its a black and white case.
just my 2 p

DaveFR

I have to agree with the above, I'd stick with a SEAT warranty where possible, have heard lots stories about bad experience with 3rd parties.

jbs

I agree about sticking to Seat extended warranty, if possible, but why did Seat put me directly through to the AA? Am I correct in assuming Seats breakdown recovery scheme was through the AA? If so the extended warranty might also be through them also. If not, there are confused messages coming from Seat UK.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
BUMP!!!!!

Mine runs out in a couple of days and originally I wasn't going to go for it, but having had to top the coolant up twice in the last week, and doing hefty mileage to and from work these days, I'm now having second thoughts. Plus, it's £664 which is a huge chuck of money!

Any thoughts, opinions or advice? Cheers.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I'm in a similar boat at the minute - mine is due to run out very soon and I am thinking of asking about an extended one (although not been sent anything) however I was hoping it would be a couple of hundred quid, not the prices quoted on here! :(

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
Mine ran out for my TDI Sport in December last year and the dealer suggested I ran the Seat helpline for their own scheme as I had not recieved any notification or invitation from Seat to extend. Nice lady answered and put me through to.... the AA. As I already had enrolled in AA relay etc when Seat recovery ran out I took up the option for breakdown repair cover. Works out quite a bit cheaper than other after- market schemes though there is a max limit of £500 per claim and 5 claims in any one year.
Hope this helps.

I believe you can only claim after you've had to call the AA from the side of the road, i.e breakdown repair cover NOT repair cover.

I'd read the small print carefully.

Rael

TDi - Smokin'!
Jul 9, 2008
Gatwick
Yeah I was hoping it would be around the £300 to £400 mark, but sadly not. I have decided to bite the proverbial bullet, though, and purchase the SEAT warranty. I have found one cheaper elsewhere, but on good advice have steered clear. Now in a funny situation where I kind of want value for money but don't want something to go wrong with the car lol