Extended warranty. Faulty dash board etc. Should I go for it?

denispearl

Jan 28, 2010
Hello. Recent health check showed that my beloved ibiza is falling apart. The engine is fine, but dashboard is faulty, something called ....wheel is due to be off soon and more small things on the top of that.
The total cost is around £1000 which is too much if ill pay myself, but!!!!!
There are insurance companies which are offering extended warranty for the car, such as warrantydyrect and it cost only around £400 per year for me.
Hence the question - shell I buy one????
Whould they pay for replaycing dashboard (£500) and other part ...wheel (cost £400) plus other small details which are wear and tear????
If yes, how should I sort it out (when apply, what to say???)
Which company would u reccomend???
Thanks

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hello. Recent health check showed that my beloved ibiza is falling apart. The engine is fine, but dashboard is faulty, something called ....wheel is due to be off soon and more small things on the top of that.
The total cost is around £1000 which is too much if ill pay myself, but!!!!!
There are insurance companies which are offering extended warranty for the car, such as warrantydyrect and it cost only around £400 per year for me.
Hence the question - shell I buy one????
Whould they pay for replaycing dashboard (£500) and other part ...wheel (cost £400) plus other small details which are wear and tear????
If yes, how should I sort it out (when apply, what to say???)
Which company would u reccomend???
Thanks

Many of these warranties are like health cover - you can't claim for existing issues or within a couple of months of taking out the cover.
You would need to make sure you can demonstrate that these issues appeared AFTER the warranty was taken out and the excluded period are over.
Some of them also demand to see a fully stamped service book as proof of regular maintenance.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
need to be carefull as these warranties dont always cover everything, so you might pay for it to find they will not cover the repair

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
The only extended warranty I'd take is one from the dealer (or Seat UK) direct.

sydoggkdy

Jan 23, 2008
Kirkcaldy!!
some warranties will pay a percentage of the cost of parts depending on your mileage, so if you have 100k miles they'll pay 50%, 50% off 1000 + £400 is pretty much the same depending on what your car has done. BUT.....

wouldn't it just be easier to torch your car and claim of the insurance? jokes, but i dont think anyone will let you take warranty to fix existing problems! otherwise well, we would all do it ?

si

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Read the small print regarding the period of cover. I recently looked into it and read the small print which said the minimum term was 2 years and they don't cover 'wear and tear' parts after 60,000 miles. So anything on my car that fails now (as it's done 70k) could be classed as wear and tear which is the reason why I haven't gone through with it. My quote was something like £24/month

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
you are entering into an insurance contract. With insurance contracts its the responsibility of the nsured to tell the insurer anything that may affect his decision to insure. Therefore by not telling the insurer that the dashboard is faulty you commiting insurance fraud.

if this were to get found out and theres a high chance it might due to fault codes or even you publicly stating it on a forum then you would then have your insurance cancelled.

Then ( oh yeah it does have implications) you would have to tell your car insurance people every time you phone up that you have had insurance cancelled due to not disclosing material facts, then you wil find it impossible to get any type of insurance due to a crappy intrument gauge.

So in short,

no its not worth telling fibs to insurance companies

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members