Fault Code advice and what to do next

Jamierez

Hi all,

I have an intermittent problem where when I drive up a hill and if I don't change down gear, I get a sudden power loss and the car goes into limp mode. I've used the shareware version of Vag-Com to get the fault codes and used the sticky post to get more info. Here are the codes.

17664 P1256 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Open/Short to B+
17552 P1144 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Open/Short to Ground
17964 P1556 Charge Pressure Contr. Negative Deviation

My immediate problem looks like it could be from 17552 or 17964. I would appreciate any advice on what to do next! Is it a case of taking it down to the dealer or are they problems an amateur enthusiast can deal with? The car is a Seat Leon 1.9 TDi SE and I've only had it for just over a week, so I'm only just starting to get acquainted with the engine! Advice on code 17644 woulod be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hi all,

I have an intermittent problem where when I drive up a hill and if I don't change down gear, I get a sudden power loss and the car goes into limp mode. I've used the shareware version of Vag-Com to get the fault codes and used the sticky post to get more info. Here are the codes.

17664 P1256 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Open/Short to B+
17552 P1144 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Open/Short to Ground
17964 P1556 Charge Pressure Contr. Negative Deviation

My immediate problem looks like it could be from 17552 or 17964. I would appreciate any advice on what to do next! Is it a case of taking it down to the dealer or are they problems an amateur enthusiast can deal with? The car is a Seat Leon 1.9 TDi SE and I've only had it for just over a week, so I'm only just starting to get acquainted with the engine! Advice on code 17644 woulod be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mate

17964:

17964/P1556 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation

Possible Causes Boost Pressure too Low
Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
Charger Pressure Control defective
VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck
Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

Possible Solutions
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17964/P1556/005462"

17644:

Coolant temperature sensor. This is fairly common on 1.8Ts also. This is a simple one to change and, assuming its the same for your engine, will be a cheap one too.

17552:

This looks like a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor. This is also common on VAG cars. I had to change one on my 1.8T lately and it was about £70 for a recon one. I appreciate that yours is a diesel but I am sure that the principals are the same.

The hardest one to find will be the 17964 error. N75 valve would be my first try. Failing that, its not too easy finding a hidden boost leak but its worth checking all your pipe work.

Jamierez

Thanks for the response.

I've only had the car a week. It comes with an AA Warranty, so will go back to the garage (Nissan Dealership, not Seat) and see what they have to say about it. I've done a bit of research and the some of the things mentioned don't look that difficult to fix (I'm reasonably competent around a car :) ).

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
No problem Jamie.

If you have the warranty, you may as well go back to them and get it sorted. They are easy fixes and common too, as you have obviously seen from all the info from the search.

Good luck then mate!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.