Ferrari biting the hand that feeds it...surely not!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71786

:blink:

Though I do tend to think this pushing for a standardised engine is a step too far. F1 has always been about the manufacturers and their power plants. So to make everything standard kind of negates the point of manufacturers being involved, and surely that means the end of F1?

Someone hasn't really thought this through.

I see the point of reducing costs being important, but they could do it in so many other areas.

Last edited:

Mat

briefly heard a bit about this on the news this morning, not hard a great deal, and don't fully understand what the plan is. But if they (FIA) plan on having a standardised engine, then isn't that making F1 more like the A1 that started a few years ago (which I found boring).

As you said Z, F1 has always been about the manufacturers and their power plants.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Personally I think it's a bluff - the FIA have put a tender out for standard engines but no decision has been made as to whether they will actually go that route.

Think the FIA is trying to pressure the teams into cutting costs, and Ferrari (and other teams will follow possibly) are just letting them know that standard engines/gearboxes is a step to far.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Formula Ford for big boys - ye right - lmao

just think about it though

Although it has widely been talked about that manufacturers would withdraw from F1 if the standard engine idea went through, Ferrari's decision to go public with their quit threat is a major development - as the Italian manufacturer have previously shied away from such dramatic statements

goes a long way to dispell the rumours and distaste over supposed ferrari favouritism just recently and working it seems

see the news already shock horror ferrari are quitting etc etc in my opinion it's a publicity exercise

Last edited:

Cupra Iain

PSN : Jebus_1979
Feb 2, 2005
Cheltenham
If they want to cut costs why don't the FIA put out a tender to develop a standard KERS system as current;y each team much develop their own, and this is costing between $20M-$30M for each team. Their are real world benefits for the manufacturers, but unless Williams, Force India & Red Bull start making road cars, it's difficult to see where these teams will benefit from the development cost outside of F1...

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
If they want to cut costs why don't the FIA put out a tender to develop a standard KERS system as current;y each team much develop their own, and this is costing between $20M-$30M for each team.

Developing KERS for 2009 is probably not worth it for some of the teams (Force India perhaps) if this is true (not seen anything to back it up as yet, others may have confirmation one way or the other)

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44422
However, due to concerns about the costs involved, a standardised KERS system is likely to be introduced from 2010, negating the differences between rival teams’ designs.

Their are real world benefits for the manufacturers, but unless Williams, Force India & Red Bull start making road cars, it's difficult to see where these teams will benefit from the development cost outside of F1...

Perhaps Williams and the non-road manufacturer teams plan to sell/license their technologies or research to other manufacturers not involved in F1 - VAG, Ford etc.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members