First impressions - New Exeo ST owner.

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Just a quick update - managed 49mpg average door-to-door from Bude back to Swindon (around 180 miles) so more like it, I was hovering nearer 70 than 80 and with Sat Nav off I could see the instant MPG which always helps ease off the right foot a little! Not a completely smooth trip as there was quite a large section of the M5 with stop-start traffic so I'm happy with 49mpg!

Getting used to most things now and overall all is going very nicely with the car, still not 100% on a perfect driving position but in the ballpark. Space is the only thing that seemingly lets the car down, there's loads of cabin storage which is great but looking at seat positions vs rear leg-room I could see it getting a bit cramped, I tried the passenger seat in a fairly comfortable position (not loads of leg/knee room) and remembering I'm 5'7" it was a little awkward for me to get in the back without scuffing the back of the seat up a little and having to squeeze my feet in. The newer seat backs provide plenty of knee room once inside. It's definitely not a modern car in that respect though, far more small/medium hatch sized internally than medium/large, my Scirocco had better leg room in all four seats! :)

The whole trip was flawless overall and I filled up with regular diesel at the weekend, 500 miles (bang on) done since I filled it up originally and the fuel light wasn't on, £69.50 or so to top up, forgot to check the litres for accurate MPG though! I think it was around 55 @ £1.27.5 per litre and that puts It somewhere around 41-42mpg from what I can figure, not bad.

Today is the first day back to my regular 13 mile or so commute so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Scirocco - that would average around 30-32mpg door to door and in fairness the 8 mile A-road dual-carriageway section of the trip was usually covered at 80-90mph, not because I was in a desperate rush, but more because it's a straight, quiet-ish road and that's the speed the car seemed happy to sit at when I wasn't focusing on the speedo! :)

Once the new year kicks in and the bank balance has recovered from the car purchase I think I'm going to start taking a look at fixing up a few things:

1. New wipers all round, Bosch I expect as they were great when I replaced my Scirocco ones.

2. A friend kindly noticed one of the "S" logos was missing from one wheel (can be seen in the pic at the top!), d'oh! I'm sure there will be some on Ebay...

3. Fitted mats - I've got the standard dealer throw-in-slip-all-over-the-place types.

4. Then I'm going to have a look at a remap as a few companies in Swindon seem to offer them, maybe even the Bluefin Superchips thing, I like the look of the maps that seem to sit in the middle ground rather than at the extreme performance end.

5. Finally new tyres all round, my tread depths are ok by the look of it but a bit of a mishmash of brands on there!

I think I'll be keeping the Exeo for a while, I have a habit of changing cars every 12-24 months but this one ticks most boxes and I know it'll be worth bugger all when I come to sell so it may well last a good while yet! :)

Last edited:

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention - I know the facelift models were supposed to have the revised final-drive ratio for economy, mine does almost exactly 70mph (speedo) @ 2000rpm so 35mph/1000rpm. I think I read that the older models were 30mph/1000rpm but I also recall reading that the revision was 37.5mph/1000rpm so no idea what's right. I think they could definitely have managed a little more like 75-80mph @ 2000rpm but it's not bad.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well,

I got mine a year ago on 12,000 miles, the fuel economy was awful when we got it, high 30s, low 40s.

After having it serviced at 19,000 miles the fuel economy went right up (was on long life servicing), as the miles added up, we're now on 30,000 miles and the other half can manage 60mpg driving nicely on mixed A and B roads.

The only downside to the car for me really is it eats tyres, quickly.

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Well,

I got mine a year ago on 12,000 miles, the fuel economy was awful when we got it, high 30s, low 40s.

After having it serviced at 19,000 miles the fuel economy went right up (was on long life servicing), as the miles added up, we're now on 30,000 miles and the other half can manage 60mpg driving nicely on mixed A and B roads.

The only downside to the car for me really is it eats tyres, quickly.
What made the Improvement in mpg? I struggle to get above 35-40.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Its amazing the effect a good service can have, I spotted an old fifth gear video where they dyno'd a Corrado VR6 and tried to restore lost power, they started with a bottle of redex, then got on to a service, and finally spark plugs and leads, each time they carried out work they dyno'd the car again to see any improvements.

I have an 11 plate 143 sport tech and was slightly dissapointed by the mpg figure if im honest, high 40's - low 50's on a gentle motorway cruise, compared to an easy mid 50's low 60's when I had my old 2.0tdi Octavia estate.......

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.