First impressions

Ian mc

Oct 24, 2020
20201215_084225.jpg

Had car for 24 hours, I will post better pics when it stops raining. Initial thoughts..
No way is this an SUV, it drives like a hatch and my wee friend JCBMally can reach the roof so its not SUV tall..?
Pros:
Looks, wow, its gorgeous, not an angle that doesn't make me stop and stare?
Build, solid, great weight in doors so you can tell its built to last.
Level of equipment, as an Edition it has all the driving aids and when I learn more I will feedback
Interior plastics/materials are of good quality in reaching distance when I'm in the driving seat, the scratchey plastics are hidden away
It feels as quick as my Cupra Ateca, which it should as its the same engine but difference is the handling, its more hatchback than SUV and the car sticks to the road, minimal roll which for a lowish car is what to be expected
Seats are awesome and comfortable.
More positives will come im sure when I drive it more Panoramic sunroof is great and let's in so much light into my predominantly black interior

Cons
The CUPRA infotainment always reverts to guest so this makes the app utterly useless, CUPRA will need this sorted pronto
Lane assist always switches back on each time you start the car, for me, its an awful aid, the car yanking control of the wheel.is so annoying but each to their own
Heating control touch pads are not illuminated so you fumble in the dark which is annoying
Finger prints everywhere!
The fake engine noise generator, my 9 year old likes it but its tacky and not needed imo
Im sure other things will bug me going forward but all in all I'm impressed with it .Cheers

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Will get some nicer pics and post them ASAP, I can happily donate some money to the site as I totally de sticker my cars!

No worries, we're not looking for money from members (and the merch is not for profit), appreciate not everyone wants stickers, just letting you know in case you'd missed them. :)

We only ask people to consider purchasing from our sponsors if they need anything as a way to support the community.

Cheers :)

Scott

Reactions: jcbmally

dancoll

Jan 2, 2021
You had any issues connecting phone on bluetooth? I've got downloading the app next on my list!

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
just over two weeks and around 400 miles covered, Cupra ID issues encountered but now, hopefully, corrected, so all going very well. First impressions are a remarkable car, Cupra mode unleashes a beast of a car, but in Comfort mode, it all goes civilised and sensible. I did an extended test drive in an S3 on my last change before opting for an A4 Allroad (272 bhp diesel) as the S3 was too 'tiring' to drive as it commended your attention all the time. Thankfully, the Cupra is a totally different kettle of fish, with Comfort being really relaxing, comparable to the A4 and the previous A7 that I had. This is key for me as I do some long journeys, besides the local runs. The build quality is top-notch and very Audi-like, without the ridiculous price-tags now associated with the four-rings, and my VZ Edition has everything I need from a car, and more.

Hopefully the Cupra ID issues stay sorted, but otherwise the car is great, and as I suspect this may be my last ICE-powered car with all the legislation changes, I'm very pleased with my choice. Average mpg is 29 so far (looking like a usable 400 miles per tank), plus the car is about 10% cheaper to insure than the A4 Allroad, just costs a bit more on Road Tax given the £40k+ premium for the first 5 years, but you can't have everything!

Ian mc

Oct 24, 2020
The Cupra Internet is so unreliable on my VZ Edition, not connecting or changing privacy settings in its own but still an awesome car

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Ian mc

Oct 24, 2020
For all the great to things about the car, something's that are not so great..

Cup holders in the front, beyond useless.
Infotainment system has some online connectivity glitches, well documented.
The lane assist reverts to ON everytime you start the car.
Keyless entry has started to play up, not recognising me and won't open.
No illumination on the heating controls, fumbling in the dark.
Squeaky front brakes.

Last edited:

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
For all the great to things about the car, something's that are not so great..

Cup holders in the front, beyond useless.
Infotainment system has some online connectivity glitches, well documented.
The lane assist reverts to ON everytime you start the car.
Keyless entry has started to play up, not recognising me and won't open.
No illumination on the heating controls, fumbling in the dark.
Squeaky front brakes.

Agree that the back cupholder clashes with the armrest, but front one fine for me.
Infotainment issues look like they are starting to get sorted
Lane assist does switch 'On' each time - a little frustrating
No issues with keyless since Cupra ID started to behave
I use the touchscreen, so no issue with the controls not being lit
Front brakes do bed in - amazing stopping power though with the Brembo's!

Hope your infotainment settles soon and mine stays sorted?!?!

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
just over two weeks and around 400 miles covered, Cupra ID issues encountered but now, hopefully, corrected, so all going very well. First impressions are a remarkable car, Cupra mode unleashes a beast of a car, but in Comfort mode, it all goes civilised and sensible. I did an extended test drive in an S3 on my last change before opting for an A4 Allroad (272 bhp diesel) as the S3 was too 'tiring' to drive as it commended your attention all the time. Thankfully, the Cupra is a totally different kettle of fish, with Comfort being really relaxing, comparable to the A4 and the previous A7 that I had. This is key for me as I do some long journeys, besides the local runs. The build quality is top-notch and very Audi-like, without the ridiculous price-tags now associated with the four-rings, and my VZ Edition has everything I need from a car, and more.

Hopefully the Cupra ID issues stay sorted, but otherwise the car is great, and as I suspect this may be my last ICE-powered car with all the legislation changes, I'm very pleased with my choice. Average mpg is 29 so far (looking like a usable 400 miles per tank), plus the car is about 10% cheaper to insure than the A4 Allroad, just costs a bit more on Road Tax given the £40k+ premium for the first 5 years, but you can't have everything!
Impressive mpg, especially with this colder weather.

JamesCLD

Dec 10, 2020
Hampshire
Agree on the impressive mileag... I had to do a 250 mile dash up the M1 before Xmas, and only managed 28mpg with the engine and air on set in eco mode

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
As reference, car indirectly replaces 2017 Audi A8 and will live along Abarth 124 Spider. I ordered it, because I liked the way it looks and it had decent spec as standard. Before I read about it, I didn't see any brand new car I could want.

I collected my car from local London dealership on Saturday morning. Could go back home 12 miles through city traffic or go around on M25, which was my preffered way.

Before leaving dealer premises, I authorised myself as main user. And before driving away, switched off 4 smart assistants: start/stop, lane assist, front assist and emergency assist. From what I've seen, it's possible to switch off some of the systems from stalk button and lane assist from steering wheel. I filmed it later for a friend, and it takes 20 seconds to start the car, get to the menu and switch off all these gadgets. And that was with Infotainment already initialised, because I was driving earlier. I suspect it will take a minute if you have to wait for everything to start.

I immediately setup Individual driving mode, because comfort was like a boat for me. I put everything to hardest/highest setting, except engine. So I created myself standard driving setup that won't cause me sea sickness, but is still normal engine mode. I plan to rip up noise generating device, to get rid off the fake noise in Cupra mode. Saw a video somewhere, how to do it. Don't have any coding device to deal with it.

I never used ACC before, only had standard cruise on previous cars. Had a chance to test it before I got to M25 and was nicely surprised how well it worked in city. I set it up with shortest distance and it was ok. However on motorway and some A roads it wasn't that great any more. It slowed down ok, but sometimes it didn't accelerate back or accelerate like crazy, not in a manner human would do this, with moderation. Also, on A road it was slowing down due to cars on left lane. I had to press pedal for it to accelerate which it readily did and went back to set up speed.

After coming home, I spent some time in the car, going through all menus and options and setting up everything. After going through Infotainment, I came to conlusion it has limited options. Going though tiles is tiresome. I would prefer just standard list of options, so I can find things easily. For some car settings, you have 4 screens to scroll, to find something. In DAB, I don't see option to search for stations, instead you have to scroll through all of them. When I want to listen to music from my own media, after switching to media, I have to click back arrow 4 or 5 times, to go the main catalog to see actual device. Otherwise music is displayed by Albums, Artists, etc. I don't have proper tags on my mp3 and play them by folders from USB stick. It took me a while to discover, that you have another screen to show you what's playing. I couldn't find it initially. It's a shame that SD card reader is not available. It's a small device, why couldn't they put in the glove compartment, like I saw it installed in Ateca?

Sign reading function is not great. I'm pretty sure it's showing me km speed limits from time to time, like 45, 80 and 110. It also reads signs from who knows where. No sign on the road, but it suddenly changes from 60 to 40 and back to 60.

I still didn't work out how to use certain functions, there's no mention of them in manual, except that they exist and can't find anything in English on internet. Was considering checking Polish websites, but these functions are not available in Poland. I guess German websites will be next step.

Fiat/Mazda navigation gets bad reviews and people say it's poor, but it's great comparing to Cupra. It shows me all things I need, I don't have to guess where to find anything.

On Sunday, I got up at 7.00am to go for a ride to Eastbourne. Country roads all the way until some dual carriageways close to Eastbourne. Could test ACC again, driving modes, etc. I switched on Lane Assist by accident and that was scary. I was on country lane and had to fight with the car, that wanted me to go to the left. I'm pretty sure, I don't want to use it in any circumstances. Computer was showing 34mpg until I hit dual carriageway and it went down to 32mpg. I put full tank of petrol, so will have real mpg readings at next top up. Cupra App shows 32-24mpg from my runs.

I did not encounter any interior rattle, infotainment froze once on me, everything else worked ok. Interior is fine, leather looks ok for now. Steering wheel heating and seats work ok.

I setup tailgate to open to certain level, but tested full opening first and it stops just below my garage door hanging on the ceiling. It's possible to open and close boot with button on the door, with virtual pedal or just from key. On previous cars, I never closed boot with virtual pedal, somehow never thought about it, just used button, but salesman showed it to me.

It's nice to get back glove compartment and door pockets, which I don't have in Abarth. Cup holder worked ok for my tall mug. Wireless charging is convenient. All mod cons present :)

In total, I drove around 150 miles yesterday on country roads. Went through some serious bends, which I know quite well, to test how the car handles. Formentor will do well as daily, but it's not a sport car. I was considering resonator delete, but I'm not sure there's any point in it. Car will never be loud and I have Abarth for making noise.

Have to go to the office later today, so will do some motorway driving.

Country lane on Surrey Hills. Normaly, I would obscure reg plate, but I'm changing it anyway.
20210320_110930.jpg

20210320_110915.jpg

20210320_111123.jpg

Last edited:

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Picked up my v2 DSG in dark cammo today, loved the drive home from Stockport to Tyne and wear.

Will pop pics up later. I have got the electric tail gate and the upto date information system software so a big win.

One question for you guys. This is the first car I have had with a reversing camera. It looks really blurred to me is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_163354.jpg
    IMG_20210322_163354.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: IanH72

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Picked up my v2 DSG in dark cammo today, loved the drive home from Stockport to Tyne and wear.

Will pop pics up later. I have got the electric tail gate and the upto date information system software so a big win.

One question for you guys. This is the first car I have had with a reversing camera. It looks really blurred to me is this normal?
Try giving the lens a wipe (just above rear number plate) it may still have wax on from transit? Should be clearer than the picture you shared. Hope you enjoy your new motor, Welcome to The Tribe!

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
I forgot to mention camera in my review, it's not very sharp. Cheap Chinese one I added to Abarth is better.

@Duane Lightley that picture of the camera view looks pretty bad. If there's no film protection on it, something must be wrong with it. Shouldn't it be discovered during PDI?

@Peyton car will do. I don't hate it, so it's ok.

But I think infotainment and managing options is unnecessary complicated. I switched off all assistants, but car still braked for me, when there was no need. It "thought", I will drive into parked cars.

Reactions: ozzrahog and Peyton