First poor review

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Autocar have a review of the Leon 1.6 TDi SE 5 door on their website now. It is the first lukewarm review I have seen of the new Leon, although their criticism is aimed just at this model, especially the engine and suspension.

Link here.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I found that review a bit stupid as it didn't really justify why they don't like it. Im sure the new Golf 1.6 TDI reviews haven't criticised it the same way and they share the same suspension

phsroberts

They don't really like that engine in the golf either if you read their review. I've driven that exact spec of car and it's fine, it actually felt better than our Ibiza with the same engine.

I do have a problem with the gearbox, it's just not well suited to the engine; it's almost impossible to be in the right gear doing either 30 or 60mph.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i think the problem is... Autocar went to the same Media event that i went to last week (Think they went on they friday)

99% of us drove the 2.0TDI 150PS or 1.4TSI 140PS models first, i then took out the 2.0TDI 184PS

So when you come round to the other models they are going to feel a little poor

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
AndrewJB, did the mention anything about the delay of the 184 TDI?

Seems a bit silly all these review coming out saying "Oh the 184bhp TDI Leon is fantastic!" and nobody can get their hands on one!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i got my hands on one ;) and it was alot better than the 150PS

was put down to factory issues probably with components

WildWestHero

Mar 11, 2007
The Wild West
i got my hands on one ;) and it was alot better than the 150PS

AndrewJB, as there are a lack of media reviews for the FR150, what are your views as regards what makes the FR184 better. Is it purely performance (acceleration / mid-range)? Is it the suspension setup (torsion beam versus multi-link)? Are there any other differences?

For me personally, my company lease renewal is in May. Over the last couple of months the release date (as per the lease company / dealers) appeared to be slipping, to the point of vanishing. Therefore I took the decision to can my 'order' for an FR184 and go for the FR150 (fortunately there was one in the system). I've only gone for a 2 year contract, so I may get the chance of going for the FR184 in a couple of years time - assuming my experience of a MK3 is a positive one.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i found the FR150 handled very well, the roads we tested on where very dodgy surfaces and i thought it handled well but.... Compared to my previous PD170 it felt very underpowered (The smooth torque of a CR engine combined with the less BHP)

I did notice a slight difference between the handling of the 184 but as a daily driver i doubt you would notice it that much, The 184 engine drove more like a PD engine, it had a torque punch like a PD

Apart from that both are the same, if you get one get the Alcantara seat's

WildWestHero

Mar 11, 2007
The Wild West
Ta for that. My current vehicle is a CR170, and I had a PD170 before that. Personally I'm happy with the CR performance compared to the PD, although I appreciate that the FR150 has 20 less BHP. I find the CR slightly smoother, and the PD a bit more boisterous (from what I remember). Hopefully I'll get to drive an FR184 in a couple of years time - assuming Seat have released it in the UK by then!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I had a Stage2+ PD170 before my LCR, Once youve had a torque kick like that the CR will feel less

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Autoexpress have just posted a test of this model against the Golf 1.6 TDI SE and Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi 2. Guess what - the Leon won. Link here.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
When i spoke to a few of the journo's at the media event they all said the Leon was better than the Golf

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
When i spoke to a few of the journo's at the media event they all said the Leon was better than the Golf

Doesn't matter when the reality situation has 10 new Golfs on the road for every single new Leon. And that's just how it happens to be.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.