First time SEAT owner

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Hello,

This is actually my third post here as the first two related to wiring in a dash cam!

Just thought I'd say a proper hello as a first time SEAT owner. I have been an active(ish) member on a couple of other car forums and have just come from having a FIAT.

I am now, for the last week, the proud owner of a grey 2018 Leon 1.5 Evo DSG in Xcellence Technology trim. Still getting used to it and am yet to find my ideal seating position. Compared to the FIAT, the fuel economy is in another world. Am getting 45mpg+ on my commute now - up from 35/36mpg. The ride comfort is amazing, especially on the motorway. It's a pretty nippy car when it gets going. And there are no major rattles or creaks - something that plagued the FIAT. It also feels better bolted together which is in contrast to the FIAT where it always felt like something was about to break.

There are a couple of minor niggles that I need to work out and I am sure that I'll get there!:

• The one touch lowering/raising for the front windows seems to not work intermittently.
  • It feels a bit lethargic and there are some vibrations/jerkiness when setting off from standstill. Especially when you want to make progress at a roundabout or traffic lights.
  • It makes a 2 second whining noise when I start it (steering motor perhaps?) and sounds very 'tappety' when cold. And when warm I can sometimes feel the engine's vibrations. I am sure this is just normal for the car but coming from an exceptionally quiet and smooth idling multiair engine has probably raised my expectations!
  • The wipers seem to twitch occasionally which is odd.
  • And the Android Auto also sometimes randomly pauses the music playing through Deezer, and I have to hit the play button 2 or 3 times to get it to start again.

All in all, I a currently happy and yes, I am fussy :thumbup:

Anyway - look forward to messaging more on here in the coming days and weeks :moon:

Last edited:
Reactions: Boroboy and Cupra81

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
Hello,

This is actually my third post here as the first two related to wiring in a dash cam!

Just thought I'd say a proper hello as a first time SEAT owner. I have been an active(ish) member on a couple of other car forums and have just come from having a FIAT.

I am now, for the last week, the proud owner of a grey 2018 Leon 1.5 Evo DSG in Xcellence Technology trim. Still getting used to it and am yet to find my ideal seating position. Compared to the FIAT, the fuel economy is in another world. Am getting 45mpg+ on my commute now - up from 35/36mpg. The ride comfort is amazing, especially on the motorway. It's a pretty nippy car when it gets going. And there are no major rattles or creaks - something that plagued the FIAT. It also feels better bolted together which is in contrast to the FIAT where it always felt like something was about to break.

There are a couple of minor niggles that I need to work out and I am sure that I'll get there!:

• The one touch lowering/raising for the front windows seems to not work intermittently.
  • It feels a bit lethargic and there are some vibrations/jerkiness when setting off from standstill. Especially when you want to make progress at a roundabout or traffic lights.
  • It makes a 2 second whining noise when I start it (steering motor perhaps?) and sounds very 'tappety' when cold. And when warm I can sometimes feel the engine's vibrations. I am sure this is just normal for the car but coming from an exceptionally quiet and smooth idling multiair engine has probably raised my expectations!
  • And the Android Auto also sometimes randomly pauses the music playing through Deezer, and I have to hit the play button 2 or 3 times to get it to start again.

All in all, I a currently happy and yes, I am fussy :thumbup:

Anyway - look forward to messaging more on here in the coming days and weeks :moon:
Sorry to hear that you owned a Fiat before mate :whistle::) but welcome to the bright side!! I had similar problems in my old Leon about the windows, thought it was just my fat fingers :(

Reactions: Boroboy

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Sorry to hear that you owned a Fiat before mate :whistle::) but welcome to the bright side!! I had similar problems in my old Leon about the windows, thought it was just my fat fingers :(

Thank you :cheers: Glad I am not the only one who had window problems.

The FIAT had some strong points! The seats were extremely comfortable, the interior was a pleasant and spacious place to be, and the boot was bigger than the Leon.

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
Thank you :cheers: Glad I am not the only one who had window problems.

The FIAT had some strong points! The seats were extremely comfortable, the interior was a pleasant and spacious place to be, and the boot was bigger than the Leon.
Id imagine you could probably see out the back window slightly better than the Leon too!

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Id imagine you could probably see out the back window slightly better than the Leon too!

Much of a muchness really. The mirror in the Leon's much smaller so if you move position in the seat, the mirror needs adjusting, which is a bit annoying. Just quarter of an inch taller and it'd be perfect!

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Hello & welcome to the forum. I'm new to seat too, own a 2016 Leon se (tec pack) with dsg. Moved over from owning vauxhalls for over 30 years. Due to vauxhalls recent drop with their build quality too.
Regarding my 7 speed dsg box. It's very smooth, no jerkiness, swift to take off from a standing start too. If only I had android auto function on my head unit....lol. I did so on my previous Astra K, although I now have a cd player, bonus. Don't like the start and stop system on the dsg mind, fact you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal, otherwise it'll fire back up again (obviously for safety reasons). So that's something I keep switched off. My 1.2tsi engine is very quiet from cold., as it has a cambelt. Does your engine have a camchain or belt? In my experience camchains tend to be a bit noisy from a cold start, I've owned a good few.

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Hello & welcome to the forum. I'm new to seat too, own a 2016 Leon se (tec pack) with dsg. Moved over from owning vauxhalls for over 30 years. Due to vauxhalls recent drop with their build quality too.
Regarding my 7 speed dsg box. It's very smooth, no jerkiness, swift to take off from a standing start too. If only I had android auto function on my head unit....lol. I did so on my previous Astra K, although I now have a cd player, bonus. Don't like the start and stop system on the dsg mind, fact you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal, otherwise it'll fire back up again (obviously for safety reasons). So that's something I keep switched off. My 1.2tsi engine is very quiet from cold., as it has a cambelt. Does your engine have a camchain or belt? In my experience camchains tend to be a bit noisy from a cold start, I've owned a good few.

Welcome to Seat as well then!

I'm still getting used to Android Auto and its quirks come irritations.

The start stop system works like it does in any other automatic I've driven. It's less intrusive on some cars, more on others. The best I came across was on a Jaguar XJ-L. Very smooth but you paid for it! It's annoying that start stop won't stay switched off after you restart the car though.

I don't know whether the 1.5 is a chain or belt. I am a previous Vauxhall owner myself, and owner of an Astra with the infamous 2.2 engine. That was really smooth. In fact, it's probably my favourite engine of the 10+ cars I've owned. 3 of which were Vauxhall!

GaryPL

Apr 27, 2019
Been doing more research on my new car. I think I have made an error on the engine I listed above. It's the 1.4 EcoTSI not the Evo variant. Thought they were one and the same but clearly they aren't!

I am only mentioning this, as I have noticed an issue which may be linked to the hesitation bullet above. When I rev the car in neutral or park (7 speed DSG) the rate at which the revs climb is not consistent. Its rev increase rate slows at (from memory) between about 2 and 3k revs, during which it takes longer for the needle to climb. Once it's over this slower point, the needle climbs quickly again. Kinda hard to explain so I will try and get a video of it along with the start up noise. Is the revving thing normal for this engine?

It's booked into the dealer next week in any case, but I always like to go in armed with knowledge! I have also got limited confidence in the dealership anyway as they blagged a lot of stuff and I don't think they did the pre-sale checks all that thoroughly. Had to replace the wiper blades 3 days after I bought it, they said the service book was digital but I found it in there anyway. There were also oddities with changing the service schedule which they just did apparently without an oil change, so who knows.

I hope I am just being overly picky. Am only this way as I have never spent so much on a car!

The twitching wipers is normal for VAG vehicles apparently. Something to do with limiting wear or stopping them sticking or something. I believe the 'tappety' noise is on them is normal too - something to do with the high pressure injection.

Hope we all enjoy the long weekend anyway :beer: