Fitting power adaptor into the car

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Right, so I carry a few bits around with me, BT headset, audio dongle, phones, PSP etc and also with that comes some cables for charging.

I figured since I am either at home or in the car I should invest in a power adaptor so I can charge / use said items but am now contemplating how to fit my adaptor into the car.

I bought one of these from maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=115314&doy=25m4#spec

a79gw.jpg

And going to use if for the 5V PSP output and USB output to allow phone / Bluetooth headset charging (I have the BT in the car but this is for my other phone - long story)

The unit is a single contained unit which require the output and input cables to be plugged in so give me some flexibility in how to mount it up.

I was considering a hard wire from behind the fag lighter for the power cable, but then hit a snag as to where to mount the adaptor itself so I can use it as appropriate.

Then there is the issue of the output plugs for all the items and how to manage them as well. Should I make up some ports on a side panel somewhere, get a USB hub and power it using the adaptor? (Actually I did not think of that until I was typing this)

It may be that I simply stick to 5V and run everything off that voltage so I can tuck it away, most things will do it, but looking for some advice on what people think would be a good solution.

I know this is not a performance or bling mod, however having one 12V point with a big car charger or twin adaptor seems a little too messy for me and I would like something a little more discreet and functional.

Thoughts and opinions would be very much welcomed, please keep them constructive however in the interest of making this useful.

Thanks

Pummy

Last edited:

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Right, so I carry a few bits around with me, BT headset, audio dongle, phones, PSP etc and also with that comes some cables for charging.

I figured since I am either at home or in the car I should invest in a power adaptor so I can charge / use said items but am now contemplating how to fit my adaptor into the car.

I bought one of these from maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=115314&doy=25m4#spec

a79gw.jpg

And going to use if for the 5V PSP output and USB output to allow phone / Bluetooth headset charging (I have the BT in the car but this is for my other phone - long story)

The unit is a single contained unit which require the output and input cables to be plugged in so give me some flexibility in how to mount it up.

I was considering a hard wire from behind the fag lighter for the power cable, but then hit a snag as to where to mount the adaptor itself so I can use it as appropriate.

Then there is the issue of the output plugs for all the items and how to manage them as well. Should I make up some ports on a side panel somewhere, get a USB hub and power it using the adaptor? (Actually I did not think of that until I was typing this)

It may be that I simply stick to 5V and run everything off that voltage so I can tuck it away, most things will do it, but looking for some advice on what people think would be a good solution.

I know this is not a performance or bling mod, however having one 12V point with a big car charger or twin adaptor seems a little too messy for me and I would like something a little more discreet and functional.

Thoughts and opinions would be very much welcomed, please keep them constructive however in the interest of making this useful.

Thanks

Pummy
I have a quad 12v port along the RH side of the centre console, main power is from THE BACK of the cigar lighter point. Then all my attachments are low and out of direct inline of sight etc.

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
I have a quad 12v port along the RH side of the centre console, main power is from THE BACK of the cigar lighter point. Then all my attachments are low and out of direct inline of sight etc.

Thanks OldOiler. Do you have any pictures of the mountings you have and what the port looks like?

That would take care of the output points for the device, however I am torn as to where to place the main unit. I was thinking about a frictioned hinge mounted under the driver side with the output cables mounted where you suggested or mounting it in the glovebox with the cables being routed in a covert manner.

The reason why I would like to have this on display is so that the battery voltage can be seen. The other benefit I can see is where this unit shuts off power to all non OE connected circuits when the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.