flashing a/c symbol

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
when i turn on the car, the silhoutte of a car flashes a few times then when i press a/c button the a/c symbol flashes and doesnt work??

it worked fine a week or so ago

any ideas??

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
i think it is mate, i dont have anything to compare it to but earlier it was reading 12 degrees which id of thought would be about right?

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Im sure ive read on here that if the Temp sensor is up the shoot the A/C doesnt work correctly.

On the other hand, a stab in the dark here could possilbly need re-gassing?

sparkie1984

sparky
Aug 17, 2008
mine was regassed in 07, should it be due already?? my mums got a 10 year old car with a/c that still works albeit not that cold!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Hmmm probably not, I got mine done in 07 and its still fine and freezing cold as well. (Had it on yesterday and couldn't belive how warm it was outside compared to inside the car)

Maybe theres a leak in the system?

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
If it was regassed they probably put dye in it to help find leaks at a later date. It should fluoresce under uv light.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Any vehicle A/C centre or VAG dealer or KwikFit or anyone else that shouts "we do A/C" will add in the dye, in fact some will be using R134 that has dye already in it, that's a point, Halfords might still small re-charge tins of R134 that come with dye in them - or the good old ebay if that is cheaper. Personally, I think that the dye just works once, after that the whole car gets traces of dye over it as the fixer will not bother to clean off any residual oil/dye! A proper fix is - recovery any remaining R134, pressure test using OFN, that should reveal any leaks as there will still be a small ammount of R134 and R134 contaminated oil left in the pipework and the OFN should force that out any leak sites, fix leak, repeat pressure test, release OFN, vac out down to ??milli bars and hold for ?? minutes, reload with the correct weight of R134, run system to check performance - ie pressures and resulting air temperature. So, will they do this - maybe, I'd think a quick bash in of some more R134 will be all that you will get, then if/when you need to return with same problem they will try to sort it properly.

One leak site could be the condenser as it gets a lot of road debris thrown at it - look for traces of oil leaking out (wet), next one that I've seen on my daughter's Ibiza 6K is on the filter/drier thing - its the aluminium can that sits vertically at the RHS front next to the radiator - there are two pipes going to it an"in" and an "out", the O-ring seals do fail at times - again look for "wet" deposits there.

Last edited:

chumsofmanutd

Jun 23, 2008
Staffordshire
Right just an update for you. Had my air con re gassed today and all seems good! The air con immediately blew out freezing cold air and neither the AC symbol or car outline on the centre console flash anymore. Hoping that there are no leeks and the AC stays working, I'll find out over the next week or so. I would totally recommend having yours regassed too :)

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Right just an update for you. Had my air con re gassed today and all seems good! The air con immediately blew out freezing cold air and neither the AC symbol or car outline on the centre console flash anymore. Hoping that there are no leeks and the AC stays working, I'll find out over the next week or so. I would totally recommend having yours regassed too :)

They must of checked it for leaks though? Cause its illegal to fill a faulty ac system gets the tree huggers mad lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members