Flip key cutting issues

Quick question:

I bought a VW flip key off ebay (new with battery/transponder etc etc). Anyway went to the local key cutting/cobbler place today with my original key to get the blade on the flip one cut to match...

...to cut a long story short the guy put both my original key, and then the flip key into some sort of device on his work bench. He then refused to cut the key and said you'll have to get that done at a dealer :wtf:

Any ideas why that may be? Is he just being a lazy tw@t or is there a genuine issue? I haven't coded the key to the car yet for either the locking or the immobiliser......

Any help appreciated cheers!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
No take it to another key place. It doesn't have to be done by the dealer just a place that has a laser cutter. I got one done about a month ago for £12.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
did you give him just the blade ? or the whole key ?

personally i take mine as a blade cos the whole thing wont fit in if its complete

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
interesting that....took the whole key.....

so could be that he couldn't be arsed to dismantle it.......

maybe I'll take the blade and try again!

The guy who done mine did the whole key complete as it was :)

shaun.b

Shaun
Oct 26, 2006
wouldnt recommend Timpsons to anyone, they are utter :censored: !!!

Took my flip key, with blank blade and my current key to them, said no probs, they can do it, £8:00.

Came back 15 minutes later, finished, went to the car, wouldnt fit any locks, got stuck in half way and had to really pull it out, took it back, where she said she might not have cut it right, put it back on the machine, went back to the car, didnt work.

I took it back again, the man came over and looked at it, got his little measuring guage out, measured it and said they were different widths!!! :shrug:

I asked him to show me, he put the original key in, then when he put the other in to show it was wider, he had the cheek to try and con me and put it in at an angle to make it wider!!!![:@]

At this point i was raging, i said why would you con me for the sake of £8?

Told him to measure it again and miraculously, they measured the same widths!!

He was still adament they were different widths so he sanded the sides down, said it should work, tried it, never worked.

I took it back a total of 8 times!!!!![:@] [:@] [:@]

Where they just kept sanding it down syaing it was to wide, the cuts on the keys were completely different and as he was sanding it down and not putting the cut back in, in the end you could just about feel the cut with your nail, could see the outline of it.

He said it should work and im not getting my money back absolute arse:censored:

Shown him the original and said they blatently dont match, after another 10minutes of arguing he gave me my £8 refund, asked what he is going to do about ruining a blank key, said he cant do anything as i gave him the wrong one, i just walked out and laughed, made some comments about him being a key cutter on the way! :whistle:

So, DONT GO TO TIMPSONS!!! lol

Just my experience anyway!

Shaun

Ste

Dec 1, 2006
Not all Timpsons are bad. Had mine cut there in about 2 mins and he did it for free as well! The cut was spot on

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Must admit that on two occasions I've had house keys cut at Timpsons in Cardiff and both times they've not worked and I've had to take them back for adjustment - sounds like perhaps they need to work on their training!?!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Mofo's getting it all done cheaply [:@]

Admittedly the couple of places I tried didn't have a laser cutter so couldn't do that key type. I was happy just to get one sorted in the end. I think the whole spare flip key process cost about £50. Better than paying the £150 the dealer wanted :happy:

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
What's all this about lazer cutting ?

I've got both my original SEAT keys here with me and you can see the swirls from the cutting bit down the middle

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
What's all this about lazer cutting ?

I've got both my original SEAT keys here with me and you can see the swirls from the cutting bit down the middle

The laser is not used to cut the key it is used as guide for the bit to cut the key from the machine.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members