Folding mirrors on 2005 TDi FR

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
After having owned my '05 TDi FR for nearly four years while reversing into a parking space yesterday at work i tried to lower the driver's mirror so i could see the curb i was trying to park close to and ended up twiddling the mirror knob so it folded the mirror in. As i didn't know this was an option i was somewhat surprised and then spent a couple of minutes working out what the hell i'd done!
I now know you have to rotate the knob so it points forwards.
My question is this: Should the passenger side mirror fold in at the same time? Because it doesn't...TDi FR folding mirrors

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
After having owned my '05 TDi FR for nearly four years while reversing into a parking space yesterday at work i tried to lower the driver's mirror so i could see the curb i was trying to park close to and ended up twiddling the mirror knob so it folded the mirror in. As i didn't know this was an option i was somewhat surprised and then spent a couple of minutes working out what the hell i'd done!
I now know you have to rotate the knob so it points forwards.
My question is this: Should the passenger side mirror fold in at the same time? Because it doesn't...TDi FR folding mirrors
Yep, either it doesn't work or someone has replaced it with a non folding one after smashing it. Also possible the window motor has been swapped, as power fold is fed from the window motors and needs the specific motor for cars equiped with it.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Thanks Matty for confirming both should fold. At some point i need to replace the driver's door lock as the interior light only works when you unlock the car and not when you open the door. When i get around to replacing it i'll check the window motor wiring and compare it to the passenger side and have a look at the mirror wiring too.
Would it be a case of programming the ECU to get them(it) to fold upon locking the doors? Would they normally have done that?
I don't really care whether they fold or not. I'm just curious after accidentally discovering that the driver's side does.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
There was a module you could buy (aftermarket) that would allow them to fold with the lock, but it was only ever manually operated from the switch from the factory.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
There was a module you could buy (aftermarket) that would allow them to fold with the lock, but it was only ever manually operated from the switch from the factory.
As i only found out that one of them folds in after owning the car for so long, i don't think i'll bother :)

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Oddly, when I got mine the mirrors wouldn't fold no matter how you set them with the knob or in the car settings. It was only after I used Carista to set them to fold that they actually started folding.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
It's a program you run on your phone when it's connected to the car via a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor. It lets you change and reset various settings on your car.

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
Sounds like a Seat equivalent to the Lynx dongle i use for my Land Rover. Is Calista any good?
I was going to buy VCDS from the people in the pic but they didn't reply to my question about whether it would work with my mate's Fabia too. Clearly desperate for sales...

Attachments

• VCDS .jpg
    VCDS .jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 90

MW05

Oct 18, 2015
I like to get the kit that covers all possibilities if possible. I didn't think £80 sounded too expensive for something that is suppose to match the dealer's equipment. Technically i don't need to buy anything as my cousin has his own garage and another mate has his own garage and does MOTs and both have multi manufacturer test equipment but sometimes i just can't be bothered to drive the ten miles to go and see them...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.