Folding wing mirrors

May 27, 2022
Recently bought a 2018 Seat Leon Dynamic Technology 1.6 TDI second hand. Wing mirrors weren’t folding in at all, but the in-car computer had option under “Rear view mirrors and windscreen wipers” for “Fold in when locking the vehicle” and it had in the user manual that wing mirrors would fold in when holding lock button on key fob. I also have a Mk2 Leon which has the electric folding mirrors in good working order, so everything pointed to the newer one having these. Tried reseting the window switch method (as explained in various threads on here), that didn’t seem to work with numerous attempts, but noticed drivers side window switch was very loose, as if someone had tried many times before. Eventually got it taken to the garage it came from, they ordered a new window switch and replaced it, advising this usually resolves the issue.
After replacing the window switch, they called to say they found out that the car never had electric folding mirrors and came from the factory without. Got the car back and on the in-car computer, the option to fold mirrors when locking is gone, along with the option for lower while reversing. The garage say that when they replaced the switch, these options disappeared.
I can’t believe the car never had this feature, but had the option for fold the mirrors when locking on the in-car computer and reference in the user manual. I think the garage don’t want to pay to figure out the issue.
Has anyone ever heard of these options being there when the car didn’t have the feature? Can anyone point out where I can check whether the car had these from new? Any advice would be great

Attachments

• DE8F98DB-F3F6-4D65-81D6-64D057561C54.jpeg
    DE8F98DB-F3F6-4D65-81D6-64D057561C54.jpeg
    649.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 8A0F7215-2D97-4BED-8E62-993D14AA6F04.jpeg
    8A0F7215-2D97-4BED-8E62-993D14AA6F04.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 207

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
According to the Jan 2018 brochure at the link below;
  • the SE Dynamic and Dynamic Technology models had electric heated door mirrors as standard (pages 20/21) but not electrically folding or kerbside dipping (to aid parking) functions.
  • You you needed to move up to the FR Dynamic Technology and Titanium Technology models to get electrically folding door mirrors and the kerbside dipping function as standard (pages 22/23 in the linked brochure).
Link to brochure; https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Seat-Leon-2018-UK.pdf

Screenshot of the relevant pages;
3E36CD16-89C0-4BDD-995B-E81C4DAE6616.jpeg

I couldn’t find an ‘options’ brochure for the 2018 Leon but did find one from May 2019. It looks as if there were changes to the Leon model line up in 2019 (was the mk3.5 facelift introduced in 2019?) as there’s not a Leon SE Dynamic Technology in this 2019 brochure, but there is an SE Dynamic model. On page 23 it shows that folding mirrors are not available for the SE nor the SE Dynamic models but they’re standard on all other models.

So irrespective of the model (name) change, it looks as if folding mirrors weren’t a feature on the Leon below the FR. Maybe a previous owner of your car had tried to activate the folding / dipping functions via coding, hence why the options appeared in the vehicle settings. However, if it is possible to retro-activate these functions then I’d assume it may be necessary for additional hardware to be fitted In addition to making coding changes.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
If it had electric folding mirrors it would have a position to manually fold them on the mirror adjustment switch which has 5 positions, L, Off, R, Fold and Heat.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If it had electric folding mirrors it would have a position to manually fold them on the mirror adjustment switch which has 5 positions, L, Off, R, Fold and Heat.
Yes, of course; that’s the obvious visual clue 👍 - why didn’t I think of that when I posted my reply above to the OP? After all, I use the manual ‘fold’ setting every time on my VW when I put it away in my garage to give a bit more clearance. 🤣

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Yes, of course; that’s the obvious visual clue 👍 - why didn’t I think of that when I posted my reply above to the OP? After all, I use the manual ‘fold’ setting every time on my VW when I put it away in my garage to give a bit more clearance. 🤣
On another day you probably would have thought of it, these things happen :)

Reactions: SRGTD
Nov 2, 2022
Yes, of course; that’s the obvious visual clue 👍 - why didn’t I think of that when I posted my reply above to the OP? After all, I use the manual ‘fold’ setting every time on my VW when I put it away in my garage to give a bit more c

Hi there, my Seat Leon FR only appears to have 4 options- L, Off, R, Fold, so does that mean I do not have Heated Wing Mirrors but can this be upgraded ?

Nov 2, 2022
Hi there, my Seat Leon FR only appears to have 4 options- L, Off, R, Fold, so does that mean I do not have Heated Wing Mirrors but can this be upgraded ?
Also, despite it having "Fold mirrors when parked" ticked in Car Settings on the Media Unit, it appears I can only fold them manually- or can this also be rectified ?

Nov 2, 2022
Twat I am, just noticed it has a Heat option after all- didn't see it hidden to the right-hand side of the joystock !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Walone
Nov 2, 2022
Also, despite it having "Fold mirrors when parked" ticked in Car Settings on the Media Unit, it appears I can only fold them manually- or can this also be rectified ?
Twat, again- didn't realise I had to hold the lock button on the key fob a bit longer, to activate the folding option when locking the car- every day a school day, apparently :)

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
Twat, again- didn't realise I had to hold the lock button on the key fob a bit longer, to activate the folding option when locking the car- every day a school day, apparently :)
You can also get them to auto fold with a short press of the lock button (no need to hold it) every time you lock the car if you have VCDS. Other dongles may also work....

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ruhel™
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.