For all those that have lowered on springs only...

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
Due to my shocks having low mileage i am looking to just buy springs for now and then possibly look to buy a kit at a later date.

The only car i have had with just springs was a primera that had them fitted prior to me buying the car. It was decked and so bouncy i ended up going back to standard with it.

I was wondering if people could post up what they've used and their thoughts on this in terms of handelling and comfort. I'm looking at eibachs, kw, h&r etc really.

JamJay

California Bound
Are you installing for looks or handling?

Springs alone won't do much for your handling but if you add a rear ARB into the mix then it should be quite a well balanced setup although not as good as a full package and ARB. Eibach springs are supposed to be quite good and not too bouncy from what i've read. How come you're going for springs only now...budget? If that's the case, when money permits, you can always buy uprgraded shocks with no springs and use your lowering springs with those, may save some £££.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
To get the optimal performance from your suspension you want to be running a matched spring / damper combo. The spring compression rate wants to be matched to the damper compression and rebound characteristics. Years ago I put some H&R springs on OEM dampers with a 40mm drop and the car handled like a pudding.

Speak to one of the forum sponsors, there are various kit deals at the moment.

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
I've spent £1000's on suspension in the past but this is my daily car. I was looking at kits but its whether i feel the money is well spent for a car that is only for road use.

I have looked into ARB's, also S3 upper and lower braces etc. My main reasoning is to drop the height a bit for asthetics but importantly reduce roll (i know ARB's) and just make the ride more 'sporty' without grinding my teeth at any hole in the road.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
If your really on the budget mates of mine in the past have gone eibach and they are impressive as they seem to work quite well with most stock dampers being quite a forgiving spring although they are pricey

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I'm running eibach pro springs with koni fsd shocks on my LC. The ride is great, very close to oem but much improved handling.

The springs have only dropped it 5-10mm max though. It sits at the same height as a standard LCR so suits 18" rims and looks oem.

Justin R

Sep 21, 2009
I have a 20VT toledo. I've asked on here because there are likely more people that have done just springs etc...

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I'm on just springs -30mm eibachs, transformed the car no more rolling in the corners, bumps/speedhumps are not crashy either.
Same comfort as standard really just "tightened" up.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.