Forge FMIC piping

Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Right, i know theres quite a few people on here that are using Forge Intercoolers. Now this is not an attack on Forge as there service and products are top quality neither is it an attempt at a group buy.

Basicly, after reading a few comments lately about the flow capabilities of the forge fmic i'm just curious to see if anyone has changed their current pipework to thier intercooler or if they would be interested in getting forge to maybe re-design the pipework on the current set-up.

I know B3NNY has recently gone for a Hybrid k03, something which i am looking at doing in the future and the intercooler pipework has raised some concerns.

I dont personally like the forge ibiza FMIC pipework or diameters... too many cut cut & shut tight corners in small bore pipework
For me its not 300bhp flow setup unless there is some evidence of pressure drop across the core against flow data to say otherwise.

JB's Pro-Alloy fmic is way bigger and better flowing design than the ibiza one on yours.

Changing the intercooler is not an option to be honest as i'm happy with the fitment and the look but would just like to improve its flow.

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Im with Im_gauci here. Would be nice if Forge wouldnt mind taking a look at the pipework and having a rethink on how to make it flow better. Im really happy with my forge fmic, cant knock it at all. To be honest i dont think ko3/s setups suffer as much as say a hybrid setup would, the route im looking to go down shortly.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Davem

Aug 7, 2008
Birmingham
I agree with bill (if its him who wrote that think its his user name).
The pro alloy set up is far better. Goes down into wing etc. Pretty sure uses the inlet off golf is it? facing other way.
I got set up of Kris, custom set up. Noticed a big difference over laguna set up on my ko3s. Got pipework going around engine like on the tt's etc.. but instead of down wing mine goes striaght down behind headlight. Very tight fit but does straight down n bend onto fmic. Then out other side it bends earlier than standard pipework and straight up into the inlet.

CatB1

Nov 19, 2003
Manchester
www.freeserve.com
Right, i know theres quite a few people on here that are using Forge Intercoolers. Now this is not an attack on Forge as there service and products are top quality neither is it an attempt at a group buy.

Basicly, after reading a few comments lately about the flow capabilities of the forge fmic i'm just curious to see if anyone has changed their current pipework to thier intercooler or if they would be interested in getting forge to maybe re-design the pipework on the current set-up.

I know B3NNY has recently gone for a Hybrid k03, something which i am looking at doing in the future and the intercooler pipework has raised some concerns.

Changing the intercooler is not an option to be honest as i'm happy with the fitment and the look but would just like to improve its flow.

Have any tests been done with the Forge fmic to see what its flow rates are. I know when I bought mine, weeks after it first introduced, the A&M motorsport one was already out of production sadly. As many of us are aware Badger Bill first ran with his BT with the factory smic, not ideal as heat soak would occur. Looking at going hybrid or BT myself in the future & had completely overlooked the pipework of the fmic. You may have hit on a very good upgrade for us all if Forge design an upgraded pipework system:clap: (if flow rates can be proven over the old system).
Does anybody know whether this thread can be linked directly to the Forge site on SCN to make them aware of our thoughts.

Pete

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Bear in mind that you're still going to be limited by the diameter of the inlet/outlet to the core and the fact that it enters from the back at a 90 degree angle.

The pipework could be improved but these are still limiting factors imo

Here's how's mine is mocked up on the turbo side at the moment, made up as a replica of the old A&M kit:

P1000709.jpg

With narrower cores it may be possible to go down between the headlight as opposed to down the wing but this will also make for some very tight angles entering the core.

Careful attention needs to be paid to keeping the distance as short as possible, with the least amount of restrictive bends.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2006
Ashford, Middx
Surely the inlet/outlets can be moved/enlarged etc so it could infact have the same entry point as Robbie C's above.
I understand this would mean removing it and getting it sent away to be modified but surely that is a btter option than buying a new set up.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I`d proberly be up for this is somthing was sorted out, my main concerns was the intake temp of 51C, im going to relog once the WMI is finished off, if intake temps are reduced by a good amount ill proberly stick with what i`ve got otherwise im just starting to chase numbers.

Davem

Aug 7, 2008
Birmingham
But i thought forge cooler was designed so no modifications would need to be made to fit it unlike the universal ones etc..
So may be tough for them to play around with the pipes that much. Unless they went down other side of the engine bay like on the tt's etc.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
The benefit of the Forge is an easy fitment but that comes with many restrictions. If you wanted to change the diameter of the inlets/outlets you'd need deeper end tanks for them to connect to and then you start having to chop the bumper etc etc and you'd probably just be better off buying a new cooler for the labour involved in modifying an existing one.

My FMIC has been a PITA to fit but should offer a very free-flowing and efficient setup which is what I bought it for at the end of the day.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ive been thinkin of doing exactly that robbie, having forge change my cooler for a thicker one with larger inlet/outlet as i have no air con and theres loads of room behind the bumper then run new larger diameter pipework in the same route.

RichStew

I agree with bill (if its him who wrote that think its his user name).
The pro alloy set up is far better. Goes down into wing etc. Pretty sure uses the inlet off golf is it? facing other way.
I got set up of Kris, custom set up. Noticed a big difference over laguna set up on my ko3s. Got pipework going around engine like on the tt's etc.. but instead of down wing mine goes striaght down behind headlight. Very tight fit but does straight down n bend onto fmic. Then out other side it bends earlier than standard pipework and straight up into the inlet.

Davem,

I have a laguna fmic on my KO3s setup what difference did you notice when you changed and what did you change to??

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.