Forge Intake Hose? Opinions...

HarveyGTI

Have spoken to a few people about this, and have had a variation of opinions to say the least

Forge claim, and i quote the following:

"The results show a 5.82 whp increase using the stock programming and a 12.26 whp increase using the APR 93 Octane programming with an SAE correction factor"

is the £134 worth it?

FMGOLFIND.jpg

HarveyGTI

i'd pay 134 quid for 13 break when map'd.

BUT do you?

hell yeah, but seen results of 240bhp on the k03s "without" this pipe

so if I fitted this I would get 253bhp...

we all know thats not true and it simply wont happen, as that is beyond the turbos physical limitations

but still it could count for better peak power/torque?

HarveyGTI

You wouldn't see 240 with a stock intake pipe ... no way. 'Fantasy' dyno if you did.

sorry i presume everyone else makes the same presumptions as me

i was talking about a K03s, with Forge FMIC, DP, CAT etc, which would see 240bhp or there abouts

so would the intake pipe increase this even more, I cant see it happening?

Forges quote is based on the below setup:

Testing was performed on a 2003 Jetta 1.8T with an AWP engine code.
The vehicle modifcations include:
- EVO Cold Air Intake.
- TT 2.5" Turbo-Back Exhaust.
- Forge 004 Blow-off Valve.
- N75J Valve.
- APR 93 Octane Chip.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Would be interesting to see if it really does make a difference :)

I have a Forge FMIC, Forge turbo hose, boost hoses and TIP - still running the standard map (or should I say, standard 'equivalent').

It does seem to breathe more easily, a little more responsive mid range.

Been considering getting another remap at some point, would like to have a "before & after" run on the rollers, just to see if the Forge stuff has made a difference.

HarveyGTI

it really does help - especially at spool up

this will certianly be on one of my next purchases then......will prob get it fitted when getting the FMIC fitted as well

when you say it helps on "spool" up, what is the difference between standard spool and then spool up with the Forge intake pipe fitted?

any data?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've fitted the LCR version of it to mine, and it really does help things! Spool up is better and there is a definite increase in power. Not a massive amount, but noticeable for sure.

And your way of working out bhp is straight from the Max Power book of modifying! You can't just add up all the 'advertised' power gains from each engine mod and assume that's what you'll end up with. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid :)

HarveyGTI

I've fitted the LCR version of it to mine, and it really does help things! Spool up is better and there is a definite increase in power. Not a massive amount, but noticeable for sure.

And your way of working out bhp is straight from the Max Power book of modifying! You can't just add up all the 'advertised' power gains from each engine mod and assume that's what you'll end up with. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid :)

lol yes I know it doesn't, I was taking the figures quite literally as they were being quoted from other sources - just for hyperthetical sake

I wished it did work like that, but know far too well that it doesn't from previous heavily modified cars lol

well from peoples opinions it seems a worth while mod, so will ask Forge to fit it when i get the FMIC done

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Fitting on the LC is a nightmare according to those who have done it, so getting Forge to do it is a damn good idea!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've not done it myself on an LC, but every single comment on this forum in the past relating to DIY fitment of the TIP to an LC claims it's a pissing nightmare. Access to the turbo is a damn nightmare and is only really do-able if you can get to the car from underneath.

I'm sure it's possible, given the right access, tools, time and patience, but it's far from an easy job.

Just in case you give a toss... it's a piece of cake on the LCR! :lol: Took me about 45 mins.

HarveyGTI

I've not done it myself on an LC, but every single comment on this forum in the past relating to DIY fitment of the TIP to an LC claims it's a pissing nightmare. Access to the turbo is a damn nightmare and is only really do-able if you can get to the car from underneath.

I'm sure it's possible, given the right access, tools, time and patience, but it's far from an easy job.

Just in case you give a toss... it's a piece of cake on the LCR! :lol: Took me about 45 mins.

Peter at Forge did mention they might/might not be able to fit it due to some kind of issues with the ramps at the moment, which I did not understand at the time because I thought it was all done from the top under the bonnet, but as you now say its easier to fit it being underneath the car, I can see now why he needs the ramps:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise