FR alloy wheel choice

scarletian

Jul 3, 2015
I am looking to get a ST 1.4 TSI in FR trim as my next company car but I am disappointed in the wheel choice...

I don't want to upgrade to 18s since I need to think about the kids.

Seat do other 17 wheel designs but there is only 1 for the FR that you can select. The SE version has more choice and in my opinion better designs. Is there a way round this or a good reason why the stock FR wheel is better?

Ideally I would like a new diamond cut one since they look smart and hide the brake dust better too...

advice?

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
Have you tried the ride in an FR with 18's ? I much preferred it over the 17's in the demo I had. Its not trashy at all and IMHO the 18's make the car look much nicer. If you went for the Titanium pack, you'd get diamond cut wheels as well I think.

I've got kids and the ride on 18's is absolutely fine for them.

MannyMike

Jun 17, 2015
Honestly, the ride quality with the 18 inch alloys is pretty smooth anyway, although I can only imagine it would be even better with the 17's. I've got the Titanium Pack 18 inch alloys, which took some time to get used to but I love the look of them now.

If I'm honest you should get the high-performance 18's diamond cut and with the gloss black paint. Looks amazing.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
+1 on the ride quality on 18's. I expected it to be much choppier than it is, it's actually rather good. I've got the titanium pack and the wheels are great. Look good when clean and seem to hide dirt quite well. That said I don't fancy scuffing them as the repair bill will probably be quite high.

scarletian

Jul 3, 2015
you are tempting me... I am basing my thoughts on a new Passat I test drove. It was a GT spec with 18s and I wasn't impressed. I could feel the wheels moving around a lot more as well as a bit of camber tracking. The ride on my current previous gen Passat with 17s is noticeably better. So don't believe everything you read in reviews about the new Passat.

Maybe the heavier the car, the worse the ride becomes on larger wheels. The Leon ST is so much more fun to drive. The controls was much more natural feeling and responsive. I don't want to lose that feel with larger wheels, unless on the Leon the impact is much less.

now be honest guys... apart from the looks, what are the genuine benefits of larger wheels?

Cheers...

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
One thing people do tend to forget when speccing their wheels is that putting larger wheels on the car slows it down. It has the effect of gearing it up. You can expect to add approx 1 second to your 0-60 for each two inches you add on the axle.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
One thing people do tend to forget when speccing their wheels is that putting larger wheels on the car slows it down. It has the effect of gearing it up. You can expect to add approx 1 second to your 0-60 for each two inches you add on the axle.

That depends on the profile of the tyre.

An 18" wheel with a low profile tyre can be the same diameter as a 17" with a higher profile tyre.

If the outside diameter is the same the gearing will not change.

However - the emissions are now different with the OPTION wheels and tyres and in some cases that can put the car up to the next duty band.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
That depends on the profile of the tyre.

An 18" wheel with a low profile tyre can be the same diameter as a 17" with a higher profile tyre.

If the outside diameter is the same the gearing will not change.

However - the emissions are now different with the OPTION wheels and tyres and in some cases that can put the car up to the next duty band.

All also very true. Does anyone know what tyres Seat provide with each choice?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All also very true. Does anyone know what tyres Seat provide with each choice?

225/40 R 18 on the option alloys on my FR

The options are :

205/55 R16 ( 632mm outside diameter )

225/45 R 17 ( 634mm outside diameter )

225/40 R 18 ( 637mm outside diameter )

235/35 R 19 ( 647mm outside diameter )

Last edited:

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
If you are looking at a new FR ST 1.4 manual, then with the 17' wheels the road tax is £20 per year, with the optional 18' wheels it increases to £30 a year, so not a deal breaker.
I've got one on order and spec'd the 18' wheels.

Hammo72

May 31, 2015
so what happens if you add 18s or 19s aftermarket are you supposed to inform DVLA so they can hike your tax?

Hammo72

May 31, 2015
That is what I am saying who would say anything seems a bit pointless to me

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
I got the 17"s on mine and I wish I would've upgraded to the factory 18s. I've just decided to go and get aftermarkets now but every comment I get is that it would've been nice with 18s

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammo72
so what happens if you add 18s or 19s aftermarket are you supposed to inform DVLA so they can hike your tax?

How would they know if you didn't, why bother.

But you do need to inform your insurer, as this would be classed as a modification.

playerjs

Jun 28, 2015
If I'm honest you should get the high-performance 18's diamond cut and with the gloss black paint. Looks amazing.

Can you post a picture of 18" wheels diamond cut with gloss black, how would you go about getting this if you were ordering a new car as it's not an option.

I think the "Titanium Pack" has been discontinued as it's not available on Seat.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
More than happy with the Standard 17" v easy keep clean & ive got a full second set ready for snow tyres one day.... Just need the Spacesaver Spare & jack next

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammo72

But you do need to inform your insurer, as this would be classed as a modification.

Yeh, that's true, you need to inform insurer.

Last edited: