FR Black Edition. But which colour??

Sep 3, 2019
Hi Everyone!

I’m about to put an order in for a Leon FR Black Edition 1.5 TSI DSG.

My dealer rang me today to let me know two new black editions had just came in for me to have a look at. There wasn’t one on the lot when I went for a test drive.

I was dead set on ordering the car in Nevada white however there was one in Desire red which was really nice.

I have until Friday to make up my mind but I’m leaning more towards the Desire Red now.

Any advice to help me make up my mind?

Sep 3, 2019
Here’s the Desire Red

0DE34241-B682-4FBB-917A-BEEECAD81FE5.jpeg
B5859F17-B26F-4CF2-B676-5A0BFFCEC720.jpeg

Reactions: Eduard
Sep 3, 2019
I went metallic white and not the FR Black, mainly because I don't like the digital dash but also they had a white FR DSG in stock.
I reckon white shows the car off to it's best but them again I'm also biased.
Yea I do think the white shows the car off really nicely. I’ve always had white, black or grey cars so the red would be something different for me.

Reactions: MXP2090

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@LJx3; it’s always risky asking for opinions on colour preferences to help you make your decision as forum member preferences for one colour or another may confuse you even more :(.

From a practical, maintenance perspective, of the two colours you’re considering;
  • Nevada White (metallic) will be the easier of the two to maintain - it won’t show swirl marks and stone chips will be less obvious as Seat use a very light coloured primer. White should also be a relatively easy colour to match if you ever need any bodywork / paintwork repairs. It will show tar spots though, although these are easily removed with any proprietary tar removal product, or if you don’t have any, WD40 is also good at removing tar spots.
  • Desire Red will have a deeper lustre and shine than Nevada White. However, being a darker colour, swirl marks will be more noticeable than on a white car, so important to use a safe wash method, and avoid the £5 hand wash outfits and dealer free complementary washes unless you’re happy with swirly paintwork. The inevitable stone chips will also be more noticeable than on a white car because of the light coloured primer coat. If you’re ever unfortunate enough to need any paintwork repairs, modern spectrophotometer paint matching technology should mean it’s possible to get a good colour shade match of any new paintwork to the existing paint.
I’ve always told myself my next car will be white, but given the choice between Nevada White or Desire Red, I think Desire Red would get my vote as i think it’s a really great colour, and goes really well with the contrasting black wheels and door mirror caps of the Black Edition.

Reactions: SteveFR and Maypack

Deleted member 103408

None of this will help but will share anyway

I have two sets of wheels for mine (red and black) when i first put the black on I did not like them but have to say over time they have grown on me and I actually like them both now.

Some pics from our last meet where you can see both the red and white and a few other colors as well.

index.php

index.php

I love my white car but i have said to @Maypack that I may go Red and White in the end and will use the desire red.

But i also love the green (you cant get it)

Reactions: Maypack

andycupra

status subject to change
it is a pretty poor choice of colours in my opinion, I should I say boring choice.
of the options i'd go red, but I am no fan of white and black while it can look great when clean and waxed up, is a pig to keep looking like that and black tends to loose the details in the car and it makes the car look boring imo.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Alor blue :bleh:

Oops you can’t

Get desire red.

Don’t get black unless you’re prepared to machine polish it every month. Black looks awful when not meticulously cared for.

Reactions: KXL

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
im going to see a black edition in the flesh at the weekend

not because I want to buy one but because I want to make my 68 plate fr look like one

I have the same alloys so in theory just need them painted black along with grille and wingmirrors
Just want to see them in the flesh to make sure it's worth it

Reactions: C_ED_99

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
What ever colour you do choose you will regret it within the week anyways. That's just a fact of life
I chose my FR in Mystery Blue, now I prefer every single colour to it, because I look at it every day.

Of all the other colours I believe black ones look the nicest, closely followed by white. If I could choose again I would pick black

[url=https://postimages.org/] [/URL]

Syerate

Sep 6, 2019
Mine isn't out the factory as a black edition but I made it black edition myself. I think the dark red is nice but personally if I could respray it I would go white.

fXT5uaI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MXP2090

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Mine isn't out the factory as a black edition but I made it black edition myself. I think the dark red is nice but personally if I could respray it I would go white.

fXT5uaI.jpg
I’m going to do the same

I have the new style 18” alloys so will look exactly like a black ed soon got mirror caps on way

Reactions: Syerate

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I’m going to do the same

I have the new style 18” alloys so will look exactly like a black ed soon got mirror caps on way
Yours also has the benefit of being a MK3.5 like the black edition.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yours also has the benefit of being a MK3.5 like the black edition.
I have managed to pick up some genuine seat black mirror caps for £30, hoping i can get a grill for around the £100 mark and then its alloy re-spray. I haven’t kerbed a wheel so just a change of colour.

Hoping to do it all for <£500

Reactions: Kirky
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.