FR TDI ordered.....Very Excited!!!!

sp1derman78

Sep 12, 2007
Hi guys,

Had a FR TDI for a 2 day test drive last week as I'm due to order my first company car (been in the job 6 months). Before I got the job I used to drive a Civic Type -R (EP3 not the FN2) but sold the car once I got the job but have been driving hire cars since (Jetta, Passat and currently Citroen C4 Picasso:cry:).

Found it interesting reading peoples comments on the ride quality of the FRTDI on 18" alloys....very different comments from people. This was the key area for me as I'm up and down the country and from type-r ownership I wouldn't want to do my job in the ride quality of the honda.

My demo car turned up last Tuesday with 18" alloys on [B)] very nice! Colour was Luna Grey. I loved the driving position, the seats are :funk: and its so nice to have a great steering wheel (god you should see the Picasso wheel :doh: ). Out on to some B roads....OH YEAH ME LIKE THE POWER:drool:
Past six months on motorways in cars with no power to overtake when you need it[:@] so the Leon was like my old Civic days only better:redface: Did motorways miles too as thats where most of mine are done and found the ride quality perfectly fine.

By the end of the 1st day I was loving the car and looking through the site that night found a post by Mike Shaw about the dealer he used. Called Autoworld at Sheffield and told them what I was looking for and asked them to check if it was out there or would a factory order be required.....really really don't want to wait 12 weeks :cry:

What I want....
Luna Grey, 18" alloys, Winter & Conv Packs, Rear Side aibags, Alu door trim, Rear Parking Sensors, Armrest.

Simon at Autoworld came back to me and said no luck with current UK stock mainly due to wanting Winter and Rear Side airbags. So I said dump the airbags and keep the Winter and try again and I'll consider other colours. Simon returns later to say he has found a car currently going through production that should be finished around end of October...... in Luna Grey and with all the extras I want incl. the rear airbags.....What a result:funk: I couldn't believe it!!

So got the paperwork sorted and Simon confirmed Friday afternoon the car was offically ordered for me. :funk:

Big thank you to MikeShaw for his post that spurred me to contact Simon at Autoworld and another big thank you to Simon for the great find.

Just can't wait for it to arrive now...like a kid waiting for xmas morning and reading all of this forum till then!!

Cheers for reading!

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Hi guys,

Had a FR TDI for a 2 day test drive last week as I'm due to order my first company car (been in the job 6 months). Before I got the job I used to drive a Civic Type -R (EP3 not the FN2) but sold the car once I got the job but have been driving hire cars since (Jetta, Passat and currently Citroen C4 Picasso:cry:).

Found it interesting reading peoples comments on the ride quality of the FRTDI on 18" alloys....very different comments from people. This was the key area for me as I'm up and down the country and from type-r ownership I wouldn't want to do my job in the ride quality of the honda.

My demo car turned up last Tuesday with 18" alloys on [B)] very nice! Colour was Luna Grey. I loved the driving position, the seats are :funk: and its so nice to have a great steering wheel (god you should see the Picasso wheel :doh: ). Out on to some B roads....OH YEAH ME LIKE THE POWER:drool:
Past six months on motorways in cars with no power to overtake when you need it[:@] so the Leon was like my old Civic days only better:redface: Did motorways miles too as thats where most of mine are done and found the ride quality perfectly fine.

By the end of the 1st day I was loving the car and looking through the site that night found a post by Mike Shaw about the dealer he used. Called Autoworld at Sheffield and told them what I was looking for and asked them to check if it was out there or would a factory order be required.....really really don't want to wait 12 weeks :cry:

What I want....
Luna Grey, 18" alloys, Winter & Conv Packs, Rear Side aibags, Alu door trim, Rear Parking Sensors, Armrest.

Simon at Autoworld came back to me and said no luck with current UK stock mainly due to wanting Winter and Rear Side airbags. So I said dump the airbags and keep the Winter and try again and I'll consider other colours. Simon returns later to say he has found a car currently going through production that should be finished around end of October...... in Luna Grey and with all the extras I want incl. the rear airbags.....What a result:funk: I couldn't believe it!!

So got the paperwork sorted and Simon confirmed Friday afternoon the car was offically ordered for me. :funk:

Big thank you to MikeShaw for his post that spurred me to contact Simon at Autoworld and another big thank you to Simon for the great find.

Just can't wait for it to arrive now...like a kid waiting for xmas morning and reading all of this forum till then!!

Cheers for reading!

Does the car have bluetooth? That is a must really

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Sp1dey,

I ordered mine on Friday as well... :) From what I have read on here the Bluetooth is a must as it brings some additional functionality over and above BT - it brings with it the Highline display from the other VAG range... Which allows you to control a lot of the other functionality of the car like the coming / leaving home lights duration, auto door locks, how the doors are unlocked, etc.

I currently have a Golf MkV and with the MFD2 sat nav the highline display gives you the next nav instruction and the road you are turning into - I am assuming it is the same here.

fM

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
Cool, that's a nice specification you are after. You were lucky to get that so quick ;)

The ride is firm on the FR TDI but nothing terrible. It's not as soft or mellow as a Focus or Astra but I personally think it adds to the overall "urgency" and connection with the car. Feels like a drivers car to me ;)

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
You used to be a civic owner :) I've still got one, it's now the second car and only goes out two days a week. But it's a totally different driving experience isn't it! Going from 8.5k revs to 4.5k! Have to say though, that most of the time, the Leon feels quicker.

Everytime people say that BT is a must have I shed a little tear becuase I've not got it..... It's not that I use the phone much, I just want the big screen! LOL

sp1derman78

Sep 12, 2007
Cheers for the comments guys.

I didn't realise I don't get the screen because I won't have BT...:( Oh well....the car the dealer found is seemingly 50% through production and all the paperwork with work is done now. To be honest I don't think I had much budget left to have BT even if I wanted to. I will live with out it to have the car quicker than 12 weeks.

I'm really pleased with the spec I've been able to get. Like a kid in toy shop when the leasing company told me I still had money to play with after the price of the car!

Definitely different to the civic....having the power on tap in the FR is very nice rather than having to down gear to get in the VTEC range.

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Definitely different to the civic....having the power on tap in the FR is very nice rather than having to down gear to get in the VTEC range.

This is true. A couple of things to note though, beware of turbo lag - this has caught me out before. In some cases you'd have been able to change down and zoomed off in the civic in the time it takes for the turbo to spool up.

The second thing which takes getting used to is the short first gear. I've learned to change into second earlier than my gut feeling tells me to - I do this becuase else I'm on the limiter and any chance of a fast get away is gone!

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Happy days Spider - glad to be of assistance...

Loving it. Even the firm ride is a joy....!

Mike
FRTDI, Crono, 18"s, chrome, armrest, muddies and mats.......
(BT being fitted next week by my employer - freeeee)

sp1derman78

Sep 12, 2007
Getting closer now.....On Wednesday I received an email from dealer to say the car will be with him and ready by middle of next week :funk::clap::funk:

GavinT

is anyone actually doing big mileages in a FR TDi? I have been lumbered with a Signum which is huge and slow. Have a Mk1 20VT Cupra as the wifes car and like the Seat a lot. The FR will be on my list to change next year but I had heard the rids was harsh. as I don 45k a year i dont want my teeyth rattled!

DaveI

Oct 5, 2007
is anyone actually doing big mileages in a FR TDi? I have been lumbered with a Signum which is huge and slow. Have a Mk1 20VT Cupra as the wifes car and like the Seat a lot. The FR will be on my list to change next year but I had heard the rids was harsh. as I don 45k a year i dont want my teeyth rattled!

I do about 30k a year and have the same doubts about the FR ride, still ordered one though and it comes next week!

GavinT

you will have to post how you get on! I am tempted then drove from the scottish borders to Sheffield and back in a day and had a twinge in my lower back in the 20VT. I have had a sit in the new one as we considered it as a second car and the seats seemed more supportive.

Certainly would be a smarter ride than the Signum.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
FR seats are very supportive and comfortable with a good range of adjustment...

However, having returned from hospital on Friday sans appendix, I can confirm it is a very harsh ride... lol... SWMBO managed to hit every pot hole on the way home!!!!

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
The seats aren't bad... but if you already have an existing back problem, then its possible that your back isn't going to like you too much.

However, if your backs fine, and you set your seat positioning correctly, then you shouldn't have a problem with big miles. Unless of course they are all done over an old concrete motorway, or on the raised section of the M6 motorway through Birmingham (instead of using the toll).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise