Fr tdi slow start in cold weather

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
Morning,

I have a 2007 reg ibiza fr tdi. Recently when the weather has been extremely cold the car seems to take longer to turn over to start. Is this just teh case that in the minus temperatures the diesel is getting thicker or do i need to get this looked into.

When I say turn over I mean when you crank over the engine after just turning the key in the ignition .

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Morning,

I have a 2007 reg ibiza fr tdi. Recently when the weather has been extremely cold the car seems to take longer to turn over to start. Is this just teh case that in the minus temperatures the diesel is getting thicker or do i need to get this looked into.

When I say turn over I mean when you crank over the engine after just turning the key in the ignition .

Are you waiting for the glowplug light to go out first ?

Slower turn over is common in sub zero temps but it sounds like battery is showing its age.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Are you waiting for the glowplug light to go out first ?

Slower turn over is common in sub zero temps but it sounds like battery is showing its age.

Mine started doing this. It always started, but just seemed to struggle a bit.

Then one day, it just refused point blank to turn over and I needed a new battery.

I'm sure someone on here mentioned something about the battery light not showing when you turn the ignition on, if the battery is on its way out, but I couldn't be sure.

bundy1981

Oct 16, 2008
the glow plug light is def off when i start the engine. it only ever struggles in the sub zero temperatures it bursts into life when the temperatures are above zero

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Does sound like the battery, if they're going to go - it's nearly always in very cold weather.
The same is happening on the Passat, very slow turn over in the frost, but so far is still surviving - my hope is that if it survives beyond the end of winter it'll probably last most of the year until next winter...

To make life slightly easier for the starter and battery, put your clutch down when starting - that way you're not trying to turn the gearbox internals & clutch assembly as well as the engine. Every little helps :)
(By the way, next time you're sat in the car with the engine running, try this: blip the throttle a couple of times. Then put your foot right down on the clutch and blip the throttle again. Notice how much more quickly the engine responds when the gearbox & clutch are disconnected....)

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Mine did this a couple of times when it was -6c it turned over slower than normal but only for a second and burst into life. Normally it starts as soon as you turn the key.

If it starts doing it more and more then i would suggest that you change the battery asap as it will leave you stranded when it dies :cry: