FR v SE

Aug 13, 2020
Seeing a good mix of 1.4L TSI SE and 1.4L TSI FRs on the used car platforms. I'm going to have to keep my viewings down to a minimum due to family commitments.

The most obvious differences are the (half) leather upholstery in the FR and the 4 drive modes. Has anyone sat in both? Are the (half) leather FR seats significantly nicer up close that the cloth ones? I guess the "leather" should wear better over years. Anything else I'm getting with FRs over SEs? The 4 drive modes doesn't really excite me for some reason, I'll probably leave it in comfort :p Is there an engine noise accentuator on 1.4L FRs or only the 1.8L versions?

Obviously FRs are more valuable so I'm trying to get a sense for how much more of a car I'd be getting. I like (part) leather as much as the next man, but just making sure I haven't missed something else significant.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
IMG_20200912_141218.jpg

When I bought my 2018 the led headlights, tinted windows and full link were essential; the parking sensors and climate control have since proven themselves very useful. The FR was a bargain when new, compared to the SE for a lease - so it was a no brainer.

Mine stays in sport mode all the time, eco or normal makes the engine response really slow. The half 'leather' seats aren't the bits you sit on, just the sides, so no real point to them.

Reactions: redtee34

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
The half 'leather' seats aren't the bits you sit on, just the sides, so no real point to them.

I love the way that SEAT (and others) describe vinyl as leather :rolleyes:

Aug 13, 2020
When I bought my 2018 the led headlights, tinted windows and full link were essential; the parking sensors and climate control have since proven themselves very useful. The FR was a bargain when new, compared to the SE for a lease - so it was a no brainer.

Mine stays in sport mode all the time, eco or normal makes the engine response really slow. The half 'leather' seats aren't the bits you sit on, just the sides, so no real point to them.
Given you mention 2018, this spec sheet would be for post-facelift I guess (although presumably close to the spec difference for pre-facelift)

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
In pre facelift full link needs activating and you get red and white led colour option inside instead of multi colour. Pretty much only difference

Reactions: redtee34

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
Anyone any idea if you can change the aluminium door sill with the FR logo to illuminate? Mines a facelift 2017 but doesn’t illuminate.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
You could really do to try out FR and SE models, as they feel completely different, you may or may not for example, prefer the SE for its comfort ride, or the FR for its stiffer ride, would be a shame to spend all that money and not like it! Hope you get sorted.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone any idea if you can change the aluminium door sill with the FR logo to illuminate? Mines a facelift 2017 but doesn’t illuminate.
I had to replace one of the illuminating door sills on my Cupra after it was damaged.

The sill trim is plugged into the wiring loom under the carpet via a ribbon/plug that exit the sill at the mid-point. Might be worth having a look under the carpet to see if the loom plug is there? If so plug and play, or plug in and some coding.

I think that the illuminated trims were added on a model year change, MY18(?) so plugs might not be there.

From memory illuminated door sills were approx £50-60 each. In my opinion I would avoid 2nd hand as the aluminium is easily dented during removal.

There are also companies where you can buy the pre-fabricated looms:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They are a gimmick you never hold the door open long enough to look at them and go oooooh woooow thats so cool.... said nobody ever

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
I had to replace one of the illuminating door sills on my Cupra after it was damaged.

The sill trim is plugged into the wiring loom under the carpet via a ribbon/plug that exit the sill at the mid-point. Might be worth having a look under the carpet to see if the loom plug is there? If so plug and play, or plug in and some coding.

I think that the illuminated trims were added on a model year change, MY18(?) so plugs might not be there.

From memory illuminated door sills were approx £50-60 each. In my opinion I would avoid 2nd hand as the aluminium is easily dented during removal.

There are also companies where you can buy the pre-fabricated looms:

Brilliant, thank you. I’ll have a dig about for the connectors and report back. Do the aluminium pieces just pull off?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Brilliant, thank you. I’ll have a dig about for the connectors and report back. Do the aluminium pieces just pull off?
They are held on with double sided tape - use a heat gun to soften the adhesive, and then use a plastic trim removal tool or dental floss to prise them off in a similar fashion to de-badging. Remainder of glue residue can be removed with some panel wipe (IPA).

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
They are held on with double sided tape - use a heat gun to soften the adhesive, and then use a plastic trim removal tool or dental floss to prise them off in a similar fashion to de-badging. Remainder of glue residue can be removed with some panel wipe (IPA).
Thankyou. I’ll have a look for the connectors first. £90 on eBay though- it‘s an expensive “nice to have”

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Thankyou. I’ll have a look for the connectors first. £90 on eBay though- it‘s an expensive “nice to have”
It’s your car and money... and thus only ‘your’ opinion matters.

If you decide to go for it, there are quite a few Audi S and S-Line car owners that have posted videos of how to complete the mod online, and probably some info in the Mk3 Guides section at the top of the forum.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.