Front Parking Sensors and Optical Display

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Hi Lads

Im not involved in this but just want to mention that the optical display for rear parking sensors can be turned on via VCS.

I've done it for a friend who has a Experience with only rear parking sensors. simple change in VCS and he now has a optical display, all be it just for the rear, but im sure I read somewhere that it was another code change to show the full car.

it even just shows the rear. I know it doesnt help with the front problem but just thought I would share.

cant post links yet but its on a site called stemei . de
just navigate to coding, Seat Leon F5, and then get google to translate and look for "Activate Parking Aid Visual"

Marc

http://translate.googleusercontent....en.php&usg=ALkJrhjRGTlliUpbDWXp2-qvmEtX-9vYMA

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Hi Lads

Im not involved in this but just want to mention that the optical display for rear parking sensors can be turned on via VCS.

I've done it for a friend who has a Experience with only rear parking sensors. simple change in VCS and he now has a optical display, all be it just for the rear, but im sure I read somewhere that it was another code change to show the full car.

it even just shows the rear. I know it doesnt help with the front problem but just thought I would share.

cant post links yet but its on a site called stemei . de
just navigate to coding, Seat Leon F5, and then get google to translate and look for "Activate Parking Aid Visual"

Marc
Thanks very much Marc..Very useful..:happy:

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Hi all, as I'm the OP on this I thought I'd give you an update

Best I got offered was £350 compensation or front sensors without optics, Seat UK were totally unsympathetic and useless, they finally got back in touch after I cancelled and offered me £150 in Seat service vouchers. Supposedly for my next purchase, no chance

Although I knee jerked ordered a Golf instead to beat the end of March deadline for deals, I have now cancelled that as well, in a vain protest against VAG

As you may of read earlier owing to Seat not telling me about the minding sensors, I sold my existing car knowing that my Leon was in the UK, so the thought of being without a car for another 12 weeks was a nightmare.

So I've ordered a fully loaded Mazda CX-3 form a dealers stock for almost the same money.

So regretfully, bye bye

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi all, as I'm the OP on this I thought I'd give you an update

Best I got offered was £350 compensation or front sensors without optics, Seat UK were totally unsympathetic and useless, they finally got back in touch after I cancelled and offered me £150 in Seat service vouchers. Supposedly for my next purchase, no chance

Although I knee jerked ordered a Golf instead to beat the end of March deadline for deals, I have now cancelled that as well, in a vain protest against VAG

As you may of read earlier owing to Seat not telling me about the minding sensors, I sold my existing car knowing that my Leon was in the UK, so the thought of being without a car for another 12 weeks was a nightmare.

So I've ordered a fully loaded Mazda CX-3 form a dealers stock for almost the same money.

So regretfully, bye bye

See ya then!

In all seriousness though, it sounds like you had a shitty time. Enjoy your CX-3 I've been in one for an extended road-trip and they are nice places to be.

Last edited:

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
So the car turned up today with all the sweeteners that the dealer has kindly given in light of this issue.

But.......sensors fitted....audible only and no optical display for front or rear.

Here we go again......... I envisage a number of phone calls on Monday.
Will keep you updated.

Also.....I noticed that the button in the centre console 'P>>>' isn't present. I believe it just silences the sensors....is that right?

hyburnate

Feb 12, 2016
So the car turned up today with all the sweeteners that the dealer has kindly given in light of this issue.

But.......sensors fitted....audible only and no optical display for front or rear.

Will keep you updated.

Also.....I noticed that the button in the centre console 'P>>>' isn't present. I believe it just silences the sensors....is that right?

I believe the button turns off the sensors. Hope you get a decent end :(

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

Will keep you updated.

I don't mean to exsarcibate the situation, but why didn't you check the optics before you left the forecourt?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012

Will keep you updated.

I thought that button manually turns on the front sensors? You might want to confirm this.

tha_ben

Jan 7, 2016
I thought that button manually turns on the front sensors? You might want to confirm this.

Picked mine up today, as i already knew it didn't have the front sensors - dealer has been epic tho! thumbs up to all involved from that end.

I have already had a play with VCDS and the rears are optical if you change the option in VCDS (switched on when you place the car in reverse).

Ben.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015

Will keep you updated.

Sorry to hear about the bad news mate...
I also have been given bad news about the sensors..Seat Uk have said that the optical sensors cannot be retro fitted to a car with dsg?? That is their final word on the matter....
So we are forced really to accept their offer of free fitting of front sensors without optics and also £500 good will gesture....This will be the last Seat we will buy....:(
As for the front p button ..yes you are correct all it allows you to do is manually switch the front sensors off...
Good luck on Monday..:)
ps This is a copy of the reply I had from My local dealer:
Good afternoon

I have spoken with the Head of Seat Customer Care who had advised me that the optical sensors can only be fitted afterwards onto the manual models.

Seat have assured me that there are dealers that are able to fit the optical sensors but only on manual models and not DSG. I am sorry I am writing with bad news for you however I can only send the £ 500 goodwill once the retro sensors have been fitted to your car and you are happy with it.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed?

Kind Regards,

Nick Heathcote | General Manager, Lightcliffe SEAT

Last edited:

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Picked mine up today, as i already knew it didn't have the front sensors - dealer has been epic tho! thumbs up to all involved from that end.

I have already had a play with VCDS and the rears are optical if you change the option in VCDS (switched on when you place the car in reverse).

Ben.
I what way has your dealer been epic??
Have you had the front sensors fitted?
Good to hear you have activated the rear optics I have considered getting VCDS myself but it's quite expensive for just activating optics etc...I know it's a very useful tool for someone who is into changing their factory settings though....;)

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
I don't mean to exsarcibate the situation, but why didn't you check the optics before you left the forecourt?

The car was delivered to my house and it was the first thing I checked.

In short I've been without a car for 3 weeks whilst they were 'resolving it'.

Spoke to Seat Uk direct whilst the delivery driver was still here. They have accepted liability weeks ago and I've taken legal advice in the interim.

As I have lodged the issue within 30 days of delivery they are aware that the vehicle is not as I have ordered and as such I can still reject the vehicle if it is not sorted in a 'reasonable time' and that is down to me to decide what is reasonable.

I could t speak with my dealer on Friday but as I say spoke to Seat Uk.

The situation I will strongly be suggesting on Monday is one that Seat Uk suggested in that the dealership de-register this car and register it as their demonstrator, I keep this car till a new one is built for me then swap over.

We'll see.

tha_ben

Jan 7, 2016
I what way has your dealer been epic??
Have you had the front sensors fitted?
Good to hear you have activated the rear optics I have considered getting VCDS myself but it's quite expensive for just activating optics etc...I know it's a very useful tool for someone who is into changing their factory settings though....;)

Worked with me to get a resolution that i was happy with, open and honest with me. - In terms of customer service I cannot fault them.

Yes i don't have a car with front sensors, however as I've said before, i don't believe the issues are with the dealerships here, they just put an order in and SEAT UK/the factory have not kept them up to date with manufacturing changes.

When i spoke to Seat UK they didn't really have a clue what was going on either, it took them 3 days to contact the dealer.

Tripod

Mar 5, 2016
Discovered today that the front sensors they have fitted as not Seat. It is a Laseline aftermarket kit that I can buy myself for about £80. (EPS4006D)

Cheap and nasty springs to mind.

No wonder the dealer wasn't keen to give m the Seat part numbers he apparently was given by Seat Uk.

It's going to be fun on Monday.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Sorry to hear about the bad news mate...
I also have been given bad news about the sensors..Seat Uk have said that the optical sensors cannot be retro fitted to a car with dsg?? That is their final word on the matter....
So we are forced really to accept their offer of free fitting of front sensors without optics and also £500 good will gesture....This will be the last Seat we will buy....:(
As for the front p button ..yes you are correct all it allows you to do is manually switch the front sensors off...
Good luck on Monday..:)
ps This is a copy of the reply I had from My local dealer:
Good afternoon

I have spoken with the Head of Seat Customer Care who had advised me that the optical sensors can only be fitted afterwards onto the manual models.

Seat have assured me that there are dealers that are able to fit the optical sensors but only on manual models and not DSG. I am sorry I am writing with bad news for you however I can only send the £ 500 goodwill once the retro sensors have been fitted to your car and you are happy with it.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed?

Kind Regards,

Nick Heathcote | General Manager, Lightcliffe SEAT

Rubbish, what difference does the gearbox type make, none, it can be fitted to both, I have the correct genuine VAG front sensor kit here, the wiring loom is very simple, power, earth, switched live, wiring loom to dash swith and two wires to the cam bus, what's hard about that, all leons have the required points of connection whether manual or dsg.
Maybe Nick read somewhere the dsg gearbox is behind the front bumper so the the front sensors can't be fitted to those cars, I guess he's right, it is behind the front bumper --- along with the rest of the fu*king car :rofl:

Nick Heathcote is clearly misinformed, hardly suprised though, this is seat were talking about, they probably go on a special give duff info to customers training day :D

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Ok, sorry to hear all these woes. I have factory fitted front and rear sensors as it's an SE they were an option. The gearbox is a dsg
I think we can assume therefore that they can actually be fitted
When the vehicle arrived at the dealers, there was a bulge in the front bumper from inside out. Don't worry sir it'll settle down etc etc said the dealer.
Of course it never did and.it went back. Eventually the bumper had to come off to reveal that there are extra packing pieces behind the front bumper when sensors are installed and special clips which hold the sensors in place ie the whole front end is different. The packing had slipped in the factory and when the bumper was whacked into place, the clips were broken.

As far as I could see the dsg gearbox is irrelevant.

Could it be that they are not going to replace the front bumper upwards of£800? And then respray etc etc.

This they did on mine because the monkey that took mine off couldn't get it back on without breaking it.

Last edited:

page3

Dec 25, 2015
My DSG FR, delivered March 14th 2016 has both front and rear sensors.

Not good to hear about such shoddy treatment from Seat. Front sensors might seem like a small thing (to Seat) but my Leon only fits in my space at Work with mere inches to spare so front sensors was rather important to me.

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
SEAT Factory reserves the right to change vehicles specification and features at any point, and these updates are available for
all our SEAT Dealerships to access. This is of course depends on Sales Advisors within the Dealerships ensuring their customers
are kept up to date with these changes.

To confirm, should you reconsider SEAT again in the future, I am happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill to spend within the
Dealer Network. Please accept this email as acknowledgement of our gesture of goodwill. I am pleased to offer 150.00 GBP to be
spent in our Dealer Network in recognition of the experience you have had.

Just a couple of quotes from Seat UK Customer Service, where you see they blame the dealer

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Seems like no one wants to take responsibility for it, really poor organisation, coordination, communication etc. For such a large company

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.