Fuel pump relay help

Daza

all new 2 me
Oct 12, 2010
n.ireland
Does any-1 know the location of the fuel pump relay, is it below where the vag com cable plugs in?and what position is it?

scanned a friends car that wouldnt start and got fault code P1501 and P3338

Fuel pump relay J17 and control circuit electrical malfunction

Daza

all new 2 me
Oct 12, 2010
n.ireland
fuel pump relay was replaced but the car still wouldnt start, run vag com again and the fault still came up:shrug:

Daza

all new 2 me
Oct 12, 2010
n.ireland
the only fault was the fuel relay and it was replaced with a genuine vag part. Car is turning over but no attempt to start.

Daza

all new 2 me
Oct 12, 2010
n.ireland
What engine does it have in it ? Could be a faulty spark plug.

its a derv

the guy told me last night he put the relay in the wrong place and may have blew it again. will take the cap off the relay and manually operate it and see if the fuel pump primes. if the pump doesnt start then its a faulty fuel pump

Silver_Bullet

Daza, while you're in there it might not be a bad idea to examine the relay closely associated with the engine management system (Marked '109') as well, as those type '109' relays are notorious for causing strange/intermittent running/starting problems across the whole VW group Tdi range. If you're already groping around under the dash anyway, it will only take a few extra minutes to check.

The solder around one or more of the PCB connections in the '109' relay gradually fails - typically, you get a neat circular crack around the soldered pin or part. It's possible to resolder the broken joint but best to replace the relay anyway as the relay's switch contacts will most likely be blackened/pitted with age.

I've just discovered this exact problem on my '01 Arosa Tdi after several months of intermittent - what appeared to be - fuel starvation problems (and on one occasion a sudden oil pressure warning light / engine stoppage for no reason).

No problems since changing the '109' relay.

I replaced the tank fuel pump control relay as well (marked '167') but the original was in perfect condition, as it turned out.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.