future classic

YellowLcr.Gr

Sep 7, 2023
athens
hello guys.as an owner of a lcr 1.8 20vt i wonder about the future value of it. i know its a car that is now 20 years old and is giving me minor headaches every now and then . so sometimes it crosses my mind if its a good idea to keep it or not.. the news of seat brand shuting down give me mixed feelings of what is going to happen to the 1st gen of cupras ,the leons 1m, value. also an other taboo is .. will this model ever become a classic . it needs less than 10 years to so.. what is your opinion guys??

Reactions: JM09

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I think that the LCR has potential to hold some good value. You can already see that in the market prices, but the amount of money you have to plough into these cars to keep them mint means they’re unlikely to be an asset. The best cars have had thousands put in to them. Factor in car tax almost £400/year and the need for a garage to house the best examples. It’s an expensive hobby. Own one because you love it, not to see any future value.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
I was thinking this today. I have had 3 LC/Rs. My first two were still under warranty. The one I have now is mint internally and externally and I always hope it stays that way. Residually there is no money to be made, given I have spent1000s on it. Its a car that gives me the most please to drive, best ever! That's it though. Sadly I don't see it being a classic in the near future, but no one predict the next 10 years. Question is, does it have the classic credentials of its 1st cousin the MK1 Golf GTi ?

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I’ve always thought of the LCR as an understated underdog. Those that know it’s good know, but motoring press rarely features it when they do articles on classic hot hatches. It’s always Audis, vws, Renault Clio’s, hondas etc. it’s a real shame. One day the penny might drop and people will give the LCR its recognition. By that time they’ll all be sheds or modded too much but there will be a handful of garaged minters around that might fetch £10k+, but we would all have spent a fortune by then.
Could it be a classic?? Yes, maybe, but always very niche and not recognised by many.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Not sure if any of you are part of this WhatsApp group called LCR society . Loads of 25 year olds who absolutely love these cars.. That's gotta be saying something

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Not sure if any of you are part of this WhatsApp group called LCR society . Loads of 25 year olds who absolutely love these cars.. That's gotta be saying something
Is that a WhatsApp channel as I can't find it?

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay20VT

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Yeah, I'd say it's a future collectable but this requires owners to spend money to keep their cars in top condition. As I'm sure some owners will testify, that's not a cheap thing.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
There's a YouTuber called boqer123 who has an LCR, which might be where some of the love is coming from.

I think the LCR definitely has potential, but while we can get the platform sharing parts easily, anything more complicated than that and a real mission - door seals anyone?

But then, I have the diesel FR and nobody wants that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
There's a YouTuber called boqer123 who has an LCR, which might be where some of the love is coming from.

I think the LCR definitely has potential, but while we can get the platform sharing parts easily, anything more complicated than that and a real mission - door seals anyone?

But then, I have the diesel FR and nobody wants that.

Doubt that the Pd engine is the best Diesel that vw has done, so many mod there 130 or below to get Pd150 spec and its costly even then they cant it generic map power without spending even more and the miles the engines can do is daft if looked after, i see so many posts on it i didn't think much i knew the pd was a good engine but not that good..

I always liked the audi s3 with bam engine for Lcr that's the one id get back then when i was looking but they never come with the chrome mirror covers but they were stolen allot, they cost allot as an option back then

Last edited:
Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Doubt that the Pd engine is the best Diesel that vw has done, so many mod there 130 or below to get Pd150 spec and its costly even then they cant it generic map power without spending even more and the miles the engines can do is daft if looked after, i see so many posts on it i didn't think much i knew the pd was a good engine but not that good..

I'm starting to feel that way. OK, so I've had a few issues with things like boost leaks and other parts wearing out, like thermostats and sensors, as well as some issues because of how few miles I do, but the engine itself has been faultless. Every time I talk to a garage about replacing the car, they tell me to keep it as long as I can, based on the number of newer cars they have in and the kinds of problems they have.

It pulls hard too - the torque is exactly what I want from a car and it eats up the miles.

There was a time when I really wasn't looking after it too, and in spite of people saying the PD system is really delicate, I've never had any issues.

It's just a shame that the NOx is a problem. Being able to retrofit a better exhaust system would solve so many problems, but the government would prefer I bought a car that puts out just as much CO2 (or more) or that I buy an EV...

Reactions: YellowLcr.Gr

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Obviously our Mk1’s aren’t in the same league as this but, a friend of mine had a red Audi Quattro. It was mint.
He sold it for around 15 grand.
A year later and Ashes to Ashes appeared on tv and the Quattro was obviously Gene Hunts chosen ride.
Prices rocketed and my mate was devastated.
Had he sold it then he would have easily doubled his money if not more. Look at prices now.
So any tv producers amongst us that want to use a LCR in a high profile TV series that would be great. ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MoToJoJo

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Obviously our Mk1’s aren’t in the same league as this but, a friend of mine had a red Audi Quattro. It was mint.
A year later and Ashes to Ashes appeared on tv and the Quattro was obviously Gene Hunts chosen ride.
Had he sold it then he would have easily doubled his money if not more. Look at prices now.
So any tv producers amongst us that want to use a LCR in a high profile TV series that would be great. ;):ROFLMAO:

Wouldn't be able to hear any of the dialogue, unless it has a stock exhaust. When did you last see one of those?

Reactions: Nathan penney

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
A657E1C0-3695-4A03-92D8-C27B9C5EDEE3.jpeg

88F7B337-ACEB-4E7F-9BC9-6EF1DD4DF218.jpeg

I know of two stock exhausts. :cool:

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I'm starting to feel that way. OK, so I've had a few issues with things like boost leaks and other parts wearing out, like thermostats and sensors, as well as some issues because of how few miles I do, but the engine itself has been faultless. Every time I talk to a garage about replacing the car, they tell me to keep it as long as I can, based on the number of newer cars they have in and the kinds of problems they have.

It pulls hard too - the torque is exactly what I want from a car and it eats up the miles.

There was a time when I really wasn't looking after it too, and in spite of people saying the PD system is really delicate, I've never had any issues.

It's just a shame that the NOx is a problem. Being able to retrofit a better exhaust system would solve so many problems, but the government would prefer I bought a car that puts out just as much CO2 (or more) or that I buy an EV...

Faults like that you get on an vehicle newer cars are made dam complicated no wonder there not as reliable and cost to repair just to scan the vehicle

The people that say there delicate are probably the ones that didn’t look after them, I recently found out off a guy who worked in vw for over 30 years about the cam issues and it wasn’t the cam or oil for them failing it was a pump in the fuel tank on early versions as it starved the fuel on injection 3/4 and that heated everything up causing the cam too soften, vw revised the pump to solve the issue, he was in charge of service and did allot of warranty returns,

that caz is a complete cash cow and khan and that illegal ulez needs going , well done the bladrunners as the rest of people getting involved
Ev is a dead tech imop not even mature enough and I won’t mind most of the green tech comes from china anyway also the insurance is increasing on them and the depreciation is huge just in one year from new

Last edited:

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
And weren’t a bad price selling at that, Send him the ash’s to ash’s box set for Christmas lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathan penney

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Faults like that you get on an vehicle newer cars are made dam complicated no wonder there not as reliable and cost to repair just to scan the vehicle

The people that say there delicate are probably the ones that didn’t look after them, I recently found out off a guy who worked in vw for over 30 years about the cam issues and it wasn’t the cam or oil for them failing it was a pump in the fuel tank on early versions as it starved the fuel on injection 3/4 and that heated everything up causing the cam too soften, vw revised the pump to solve the issue, he was in charge of service and did allot of warranty returns,

that caz is a complete cash cow and khan and that illegal ulez needs going , well done the bladrunners as the rest of people getting involved
Ev is a dead tech imop not even mature enough and I won’t mind most of the green tech comes from china anyway also the insurance is increasing on them and the depreciation is huge just in one year from new

I'm an environmentalist who loves cars, and can't help but feel that we've gone badly wrong when we started making cars disposable. A car is a big purchase and you should only be buying a new one when it's not economical to keep it - not just because you feel like something different - but then, there's no money in that for the car companies.

It's possible to make the PD150 produce less NOx. It's also possible to make the timing more accurate on the LCR so it's more fuel efficient, along with better turbos - and that'll only make it more fun.

When it comes to legislation, the lobbying firms have made sure anything that's a threat to the bottom line of the car manufacturers and the fuel companies has been taken out - then the environmentalists get the blame for how rubbish the initiatives are.

In short, keep your car healthy and keep it on the road.

Reactions: MoToJoJo

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I'm an environmentalist who loves cars, and can't help but feel that we've gone badly wrong when we started making cars disposable. A car is a big purchase and you should only be buying a new one when it's not economical to keep it - not just because you feel like something different - but then, there's no money in that for the car companies.

It's possible to make the PD150 produce less NOx. It's also possible to make the timing more accurate on the LCR so it's more fuel efficient, along with better turbos - and that'll only make it more fun.

When it comes to legislation, the lobbying firms have made sure anything that's a threat to the bottom line of the car manufacturers and the fuel companies has been taken out - then the environmentalists get the blame for how rubbish the initiatives are.

In short, keep your car healthy and keep it on the road.

It’s daft theses days swapping cars for fun the cars scrapped on the government schemes is senseless,now you got euro 7 coming out cars are more cleaner than ever yet there’s a massive issue on food waist and fast fashion

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members