Garrett or IHI

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
I may eventually annoy you guys with the amount of questions i ask on this subject but i am a learner, ok so Jabbasport do the IHI kit and Revo recomend the Garrett what is better and why and woud getting one or the other mean changing rods and pistons.

Jabba quote 340 - 350bhp

Revo quote 440bhp i am guessing that this def means new rods and pistons with this setup

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
This is bearing in mind that i get a full system blueflame exhaust and with my current mods from the list what would i need to complement the Turbos

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
all down to the flavour of turbo and spec as to how much bhp is made and how its delivered.

VF34 will produce a real 320bhp on comfortable boost as an example

push harder then consider some rods.

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
so VF34 is IHI and not Garrett then yeah also with Revo software already on my car would this matter if Jabba then mapped it or not. Also how easy is this mod to do would i need everything jabba say i need for the VF34 or not i am just thinking that if i spend say 5k to get 320bhp then i may aswell spend a couple k more and get 400 if you see my point

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
there are more people about than just JS for BT conversions.

Garrett are favoured by some, IHI VF34 by others due to JS work on developing a kit, inc exhaust mani etc. Done this conversion on customer mk4 golf myself. It is nice. 300-320bhp honest car.

REVO code is not custom.
BT is a big step without getting it setup to suit the components.

higher power will bring requirement of internal mods. (if sensible)

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
so you could do this conversion on my car then and i am guessing the cost will roughly be the same, the reason i mentioned JS is cos they tell you everything you need to go BT and include that in the price. I knew you had done conversions before but didnt know you had done a MK4 platform one so would you be able to recomend what things to get and so on to complement the Turbo if i decided to get it done through you

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
drop me an email to [email protected] and we can discuss the specs' and what you are after etc.

The kit can range from bolt on bits you need to full on if req'd.
Some pre-requesits from me being brakes should already be up to it, LCR so yes is the answer, suspension, intercooling.... twins should work ok on modest boost levels 1.2-1.3bar max, exhaust (DP will be new)

let me know
regards
bill

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
For up to the 350bhp range on standard internals you can't go far wrong with IHI.
After this look for full engine rebuild and massive turbo for 450+bhp.
For me thats the 2 options you have.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Is it touch and go on the internals or will they hold up to this power? As i would like around 350 but the price of internals etc is holding me back. Also whats the lag like on these? Anyway to see what spools up quicker etc without getting it done and finding out? I would much prefer quicker spool up for better accel than top end. Or is that something you can specify when chosing your package?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Hi scotty, a vf34 with p18 housing will spool fairly quickly,probably full boost by 3300rpm,330 solid bhp and standard internals will be fine.
Only problem is you want more power!

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I know which is why i was thinking more of a d-tuned 400bhp turbo until i get more money to do the internals and map it up to more power.

So theres no real way of measuring how laggy as it were these turbos are in comparison as its hard to decide "big power, less quick" or "less power more quickly"

I would sacrafice top end for accel any day as when do you really get to go over 100 ish

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
I know which is why i was thinking more of a d-tuned 400bhp turbo until i get more money to do the internals and map it up to more power.

So theres no real way of measuring how laggy as it were these turbos are in comparison as its hard to decide "big power, less quick" or "less power more quickly"

I would sacrafice top end for accel any day as when do you really get to go over 100 ish

you say detuned but then I would guess you would be unhappy with spool.
cake and eat it?

;)

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
And how much would we be looking at for the vf34 with the p18 housing??

I feel the same, internal upgrades are a lil costly but the last thing you want to do is blow the thing to pieces. :lol:

TBH iv never seen a BT LCR go, but I think a lil too much power for a FWD (only my opinion tho)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Like bill said 400bhp detuned would mean monster turbo at low boost which would mean lag.Go with the vf34 p18 then a turbo swap with better internals is all you'll need.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
22,000 miles of ihi by jabbasport IHI vf34 .18 engine currently on 62,000. A complete mixture of town driving and a couple of trackdays and multiple 160mph+ runs still on a completely stnd engine. Stnd Lcr/Ibiza engines break chipped ones do as well Bt ones break also. I have heard of engines with forged rods, pistons etc breaking also. Its the luck of the draw. Look at how many cars have been IHI'd by Jabba and how many cars have required engine rebuilds because of blown engines. I think your safe at 1.35bar on a IHi vf 34.18.

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
so what you guys are saying is spend 5 to 6k on all the mods needed to go get 400bhp + bar the big big turbo and internals but instead hold back on them and then see how we like say 340bhp on the standard internals and IHI turbo, then if we want to upgrade all we need to replace would be the internals and the Turbo

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I think if im sticking with 350 i will go garret as i have had them before and know there good.

Yeah 400 does worry me as JBS octy doesnt seem to reliable and thats 4x4 so should be able to handel it.

Think 350bhp will be best for me, but i would love to say "ow yeah its around 400bhp!"

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
sounds good to me scotty but i am gonna shop around i have spoke to Jabba Sport and Revo and am waiting to see what Bill has to say, would you go with a LSD with that or not cos i am thinking i may aswell go for one even if i go with 320bhp just in case i want more later

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Erm no the diff cost is about 1k so i will do that when i need to do the clutch etc. as i will prob need an uprated one anyway. As to be honest i wont be caining it round bends too much

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.