Garrett or IHI

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
Scotty_b said:
I think if im sticking with 350 i will go garret as i have had them before and know there good.

Yeah 400 does worry me as JBS octy doesnt seem to reliable and thats 4x4 so should be able to handel it.

Think 350bhp will be best for me, but i would love to say "ow yeah its around 400bhp!"

I thought it was 2wd? I seem to remember them saying it stops wheelspinning after 3rd and i cant imagine this in 4wd?
And i thought it blew up 'cos they shoved a big nos shot through it to see what would break, its a development car after all.
I havent exactly been keeping tabs on it though, JBS may have converted to 4wd and pushed things further since last time i looked.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
Yeah 400 does worry me as JBS octy doesnt seem to reliable and thats 4x4 so should be able to handel it.

eh?

its fwd.
and other than when it was on nos on k03s when it spat out its rod onto a chasing scooby, a few turbo bolt to mani issues on early fastenings coming loose, and a couple of expired turbos ragging them rotten to oblivion in the name of testing.. (mad man james LOL 160mph+ chasing exotica-private roads obviously- hehehe) Its reliable.

Its not like several IHI cars have'nt had issues of varying descriptions, melting housings, cracked exhaust housings, bearing failures, cracking exhaust manifolds, downpipes, flexi's etc...

Comes with the territory especially when you *lean* on em to squeaze every last drop out of them in the name of "more power". Personally guilty as charged :D

Run em on sensible 1.2-1.3bar boost for 320bhp and you have a nice fast car, snooth power delivery and great fun for 1000's of trouble free miles.

Want more.. dig deeper pockets and think internal works & alternate turbo's, weighing up the pros and cons of what you are prepared to loose in search of more headline bhp. And ask yourself the question. Will I be able to use this performance and apply it to the ground, and be prepared for other things to wear out faster.

bill

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Personally i've come to the conclusion that past bolt-on kit's/parts a change of vehicle is required as dynamically it's not there.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Waiting to move house Bill.Will complete my plans with the s3 and will probably become the missus car and then i think it will be a porsche.

But back to the post,i don't think you guys can go wrong with a ihi at the levels bill is talking about,imo it's the best option and i think bill agrees with me that beyond that dynamically/fwd restrict the car.

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
I still don't know of a car over 300bhp with all round relibuilty.

The way I see it if you want a powerfull/fast allround car you pay for it.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yeah you right, all things come with problems. I woulndt like to lose any more reliability really. Ive been in a 350bhp fwd and that spun all the way and ive seen a few others deliver it spot on. Guess i need to collar a few people with big power and get a ride

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
Yeah you right, all things come with problems. I woulndt like to lose any more reliability really. Ive been in a 350bhp fwd and that spun all the way and ive seen a few others deliver it spot on. Guess i need to collar a few people with big power and get a ride

I did over 35K miles on mine (possibly more I cant remember) with no problems at all.... sensible boost is the key. My car was used a lot for track work and as anyone will know this really works the whole package hard.

When pushing for more and more power, the reliabilty of some parts gets exposed. exhaust housing being one of them. push too hard too much heat and the VF housing sags and melts. happened twice on my vf34's and once on my PE (but that was for other reasons) - its a weakness when pushing its hard. Bearing failure has been suffered on a few occasions, luckily not by myself.

JS have their S3 quattro as a demo car still I think... worth a spin in it. Aside from it will have traction :p its power delivery will be very similar.
JBS have their octy which runs a GT30/35 setup on 1900cc motor, and this again will give you a sample of what 400+bhp feels like with fwd.

Couple of samples worth testing.

good luck choosing

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Cheers, long way to go for a test drive as i was hoping to get BBT to do most of my work really. Still cant believe the octy is fwd, wonder where i got 4x4 from

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
Have to see if the IHI waiting list is still uber long. I take it IHI is jabbas really so id need a new remap?

IHI is just the make of turbo hardware, your REVO wont run it if thats what you mean software wise. IHI is'nt Jabba per-say. They started the BT kit in the UK with this and it is a good kit within sensible limits. The mapping is the other side and there, you have choice of who and where to go.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Scotty_b said:
Cheers, long way to go for a test drive as i was hoping to get BBT to do most of my work really. Still cant believe the octy is fwd, wonder where i got 4x4 from

prolly cos it needs it LOL

Eddy's is in there now @ JBS receiving a GT35 turbo install. - his is 4wd and should be dead fast with traction to boot.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.