Gasoline particulate filter (GPF)

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
Having switched back to petrol in last few cars to avoid DPF issues with my now low annual mileage, not amused to see particulate filters are now coming to petrol, with Merc and VAG having already made announcements and PSA indicating it's a matter of "when not if".

My understanding is that current predictions are that this will add £100-200 to the cost of the vehicle, and can either be a separate item or incorporated in a 4-way cat. What I have seen so far suggests they may not be as problematic as DPF's, higher exhaust temperatures allowing reliance on passive regeneration.

Anyone seen more info?

Last edited:

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
VAG GPF implementation

Just found something on the VAG corporate site which states that ALL TSI and TFSI group engines will eventually be fitted with GPF commencing in 2017. First in line are the 1.4 in the new Tiguan and 2.0 in new A5, with other models being progressively added by 2022 as they are updated or replaced (but no details/timescale on specific models).

As the A3 has just been facelifted and not fitted with GPF, the Leon may be safe until the Mk4 comes out.

Last edited:

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I never realised petrol cars were worse than diesels for emission of fine particulates. It appears the advent of direct injection in petrol engines has brought on the high emmisions

andycupra

status subject to change
old news to those in the know..

but a little background:

particulates have largely been measured by weight/volume. Diesel particulates are larger and so diesels were the 'worse' culprits'.
however, there have been, or there are plans to include number of particulates as part of the measurement. - Petrol also has particulates, they are much smaller.
The new system to measure means some petrol cars will need particulate filters. With the particulates being smaller I would imagine the effectiveness of these filters will be limited and potentially have huge effects on performance.

Diesels are widely seen as the worse of the two regards particulates, but some are now querying petrol as smaller particulates may be more dangerous as they are not visible and go further deeper into the lungs.

Ste mako

May 1, 2020
Preston
Hi
I’m new to seat ownership and I am looking at a silencer delete centre section but it states it only fits a Leon mk3 with a ppf but I’m unsure wether mine has one or not it’s a 2016 1.4 tsi fr
Can anyone help ?? thanks in advance from a newbie

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hi
I’m new to seat ownership and I am looking at a silencer delete centre section but it states it only fits a Leon mk3 with a ppf but I’m unsure wether mine has one or not it’s a 2016 1.4 tsi fr
Can anyone help ?? thanks in advance from a newbie
Do not 100% quote me on this but as far as i am aware no 1.4 tsi’s in the leon have a gpf, came in with the 1.5 tsi kangaroo edition

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've had a 2.0TDI DPF and now a 1.5T (Volvo V40) with GPF. I have never had any issues with the GPF, nor does it do any regen or similar, not sure if it's supposed to or not. On the plus side, my split - dual 'real' exhaust is always clean and soot free. Same can't be said of Mk5 FL Ibiza with the 1.0TSI, it's always sooty on the real dual exhaust.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise