Gearbox change?

seatibizagti

Went to get my car (cupra 16v) rolling roaded and when i picked it up found it was running at 155 BHP. the first thing he said to me was to change the gearbox as 3rd gear espically was too long and taking way the power. Was wondering if anybody has ever came acroos this. Been told that the diesel box works well but not sure what code or model to get one out of. Clutch has starting slipping so wanting to change at same time as fitting the clutch. thx dave

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
as 3rd gear espically was too long and taking way the power.

It won't 'take away' power, a gearbox just changes the speed/acceleration balance in each gear. Change it for a shorter ratio box if you like, but make sure it's a reasonable match for the 16v torque curve and be aware that top speed will be reduced and it'll be revving higher at any given speed/gear.

seatibizagti

will be definatly be putting the diesel box in. does the mk3 golf 1.9 diesel box fit? thinking of mounting points. also what clutch do you use. are the splines the same on the diesel box? thx dave

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Yes diesel boxes fit, Flappers car runs a diesel box, but if you drive it hard you'll be going through gear boxes often. But as Anthony has said you'll trade off top end speed and economy for acceleration with a diesel box. However with a different gearbox you'll still have 155bhp, it'll just use it differently.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
back with a 16v CDA gearbox in mine but previously had the ASD mk3 golf Tdi gearbox in

if you think a standard box is too long geared then dont go for a tdi box, ratios seem ok on paper but it's the diff that kills it - incredibly long geared, so much so i only ever used up to 3rd unless i was on motorway, in fact i think one day i made it to work using 1st and 2nd and was relaxed doing so :lol:

ratios wise i worked out 7k in 5th would be 210mph but to be honest you wont get past 4k in 4th on a good day - lol

motorway was great for mpg - 1500rpm at 80mph, cant remember what it was in 2nd gear now as I rarely tested it but was 70/80 odd mph or something stupid like that but if you like to select 1 gear and cruise about lazy boy style it was ok but as said above if you don't like the 16v standard long geared you will hate the tdi box. I did chop out 5th gear back to a CDA 16v one in the end but after about 6 months and the diff was getting noisy anyway so I went back for another standard one

Last edited:

seatibizagti

Really after improving the 0 - 60 time. Never really use the motorway and travel to work down country lanes so constantly accelerating and braking. Did fitting the diesel box improve acceleration? if so was just thinking the price of a second hand box isnt to bad to just experiment with.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
made acceleration slower and raised actual higher speed in each gear, once i was used to it i found it relaxing and quite enjoyable to drive but then it suited my way of driving i guess but it just felt 'right'

back on standard box and i feel 1st just buzzes too quick and seems so urgent and on edge at top end

diesel box i could 3k in 1st slip to 3rd lazy and drive all the way to 100+ so did have some uses but was horrid in 4th to go flat out and 5th ya went backwards :)

a bit of both or a diff ratio between the two and i would be over the moon but a stupid powered gassed or blown 16v/VR6 would probably make some silly speed out of one

seatibizagti

oh right. so confussed now. think will just put a new clutch in her and put the money for the box towards something else. Got a superchip on her as it was on when i bought the car so think may get a remap. Thx dave

R French

Hi - I've been playing around with this for ages and it's a no-win one I'm afraid. You have to bung either a shorter final drive in either a 4.2:, 4.6:1 or 4.9:1 as you are running a 3.9:1 as std.

The problem you then get is you still find the length of the ratios is still the same - so 3rd is still long, which means you still loose some acceleration waiting for it to get back up to pace.
Your next option is then start to look for a gear kit from somewhere like SQS or Quaife.

Best compromise without showing up the gearing too badly is to go for the 4:2.1 FD sourced from Passats and early Leons with an 02A box. I think new they are £230+vat then if you don't fancy the spannering you'll have fitting time on top.

Hope this helps.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Hi - I've been playing around with this for ages and it's a no-win one I'm afraid. You have to bung either a shorter final drive in either a 4.2:, 4.6:1 or 4.9:1 as you are running a 3.9:1 as std.

The problem you then get is you still find the length of the ratios is still the same - so 3rd is still long, which means you still loose some acceleration waiting for it to get back up to pace.
Your next option is then start to look for a gear kit from somewhere like SQS or Quaife.

Best compromise without showing up the gearing too badly is to go for the 4:2.1 FD sourced from Passats and early Leons with an 02A box. I think new they are £230+vat then if you don't fancy the spannering you'll have fitting time on top.

Hope this helps.

Standard 02A CDA box is 3.64. I've got a 3.94 wiv a peloquin diff, the FD is taken from the older Passats, Golfs, Corrado's etc..... seach for 3.94 final drive and you find my thread on it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.