Gearbox/Engine rattle from 150 fr

mattleon

My Mk1 Leon 150 fr has recently developed a rattle, I first noticed this when accelerating in first and second gear. At times it was sounding a little rough almost like a tappet or pinking noises that you would get on a petrol car. However the noise developed into an accute rumble / knocking type noise at Idle, this seemed to be worse when coasting with the clutch depressed.

I booked my car in at the dealer and they returned it to me today saying that the gearbox mounting bracket had been refitted. The rattle is better but is still there, I have noticed that it is still worse when Idleing with the clutch depressed and is noticeable between 1200 and 1500 rpm. I have taken it back to the dealer who said they will have another look at the car, he said it could possibly be the Mass Air Flow device and hinted that this could cost £1000 and may not be covered by warranty . The car has done 9700 miles, and is less than 2 years old with full service history.

1) Has anyone had any similar problems. or got any suggestions ?
2) If it is the Mass Air flow shouldn't this be a warranty repair ?

Thanks

cordoba lad

Back in the Midlands
May 24, 2005
Warwick
I'd want a solid gold MAF for that. A MAF is only about £70 or so and i can't believe that it be £900 to fit an item that is retained by two torx bolts. I also struggle to think of a reason as to why it isn't covered under warrenty unless they beleive it to be misuse in which case they need to prove it.

Just my thoughts

mattleon

Cordoba lad, I queried this with the dealer today. My mistake it wasn't the mass flow device, it was the dual mass flywheel that they mentioned. So Niall you were correct.

They are going to investigate further tomorrow. The car has done 9700 of relatively easy driving, after all I find little gain in ragging the 150 and prefer to change up instead.

Are these typical symptoms that I am experiencing ?

If they find it is the flywheel Should this be a warranty job on a car less than 2 years old ?

Does any one know why and what breaks on the flywheel ?

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
even if it is the flywheel i cant see how its not a warranty job! some stealers try very hard to avoid warranty work so be wary!

mattleon

Just picked up the car from the dealer. I am almost scared to say it, but it seems to have been fixed.

For anyone with similar problems they have replaced a clutch feed pipe as it was faulty in some way, and flushed and refilled the hydraulic system. They have removed and refilled the same gearbox mount as before. The annoying thing is that the car seems quieter & smoother than ever and I am know wondering if this has been faulty since I bought the car two years ago, all done under warranty. I just hope it all stays this way now.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.