Gearbox failure: Lost 1st,2nd and R gear

Kogi

May 3, 2006
Hi ALL,

I have found some thread talks about pretty much the same issue, but I would like to hear whether its a common failure and there is still something that could be done in order to avoid it in the future.

I lost my 1st, 2nd and R gear yesterday (after 3500 miles), means I can not select these gears anymore, for instance when I am trying to switch to the second, it feels like Im running on 6th ... So, starting from 3rd looks good. I can drive only forward and only lunching from 3rd, which is fine thanks god to the engine ...

I dropped by car at my local SEAT garage and they told me that the 1-2 selector lever has been broken and disconnected from the 1-2 gears. He can not explain me why it happened and what might cause :cry:this failure.

Is it my damn luck or common issue ? Why ? How to overcome it in the future ?

SEAT Leon Cupra '08

thanks, Kogi

Cupra r 225bhp

GREY LCR 225
Dec 16, 2008
DERBY
Hi ALL,

I have found some thread talks about pretty much the same issue, but I would like to hear whether its a common failure and there is still something that could be done in order to avoid it in the future.

I lost my 1st, 2nd and R gear yesterday (after 3500 miles), means I can not select these gears anymore, for instance when I am trying to switch to the second, it feels like Im running on 6th ... So, starting from 3rd looks good. I can drive only forward and only lunching from 3rd, which is fine thanks god to the engine ...

I dropped by car at my local SEAT garage and they told me that the 1-2 selector lever has been broken and disconnected from the 1-2 gears. He can not explain me why it happened and what might cause :cry:this failure.

Is it my damn luck or common issue ? Why ? How to overcome it in the future ?

SEAT Leon Cupra '08

thanks, Kogi

hi there i had same problem on my mk4 golf about a year ago
apperently the gear linkage are plastic and them snap quiet often
i cnt be sure if thats ur problem but its worth checking out the linkages

Marsden1002

Jun 22, 2007
Hi.

My 1.9tdi Stylance had a gearbox fault.

Was reversing one day and heard a loud bang. Couldnt select 2nd over 2500RPM, reverse made a loud clicking noise and wouldnt reverse controlled (kept jumping about).

Stockport told me it was the linkage, but in the end the full box was replaced.

I want to know who else has had serious faults on the Leons which were first built??

Thanks!

Kogi

May 3, 2006
Just called my garage, the part is not available and ordered from Spain, estimate delivery ~ 3-4 days ... meantime I got a replacement car which is Daihatsu Sirion .. how ppl drive such crap ...

Planning to call SEAT HQ and get some explanations also extended guarantee

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise