Getting to normal operating temperature??

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
On my leon fr tdi i find that it takes along time for the engine to get to normal running temp, if i leave it idling, like to defrost it, it doesn't ever seem to get even get warm. Also i do a 10 mile drive to work in the mornings and if its cold and i get stuck behind something and am doing about 50 the temp drops to about 60!
Does anybody have this issue? if so what can be done?

Thanks
Jamie

1mmey

Hi bud - any mods?
Have you checked the obvious such as coolant? Is it a recent problem or have you had it for some time? Is it EVERY time or just now and then?

JMP

May 27, 2004
Most likely its your thermostat thats opening too soon or remains partly open the whole time recycling water to your cooler when there is no need to and cooling the engine too much.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
On my leon fr tdi i find that it takes along time for the engine to get to normal running temp, if i leave it idling, like to defrost it, it doesn't ever seem to get even get warm. Also i do a 10 mile drive to work in the mornings and if its cold and i get stuck behind something and am doing about 50 the temp drops to about 60!
Does anybody have this issue? if so what can be done? Thanks
Jamie
Has it always been like it? if not it could be a sticking thermostat [ diesels are more thermaly efficent than petrol] in normal weather 15c mine takes about 4 - 5 miles to get to a indicated 90c

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Its just a feature, not a fault... The manual even states not to turn on and idle the car but to just start driving it and let it warm up that way. A diesel will always take longer than a petol.

irmscher2007

Aug 15, 2007
Cheshire
As the previous post, an idling diesel will take forever to get upto oprating temps as they are much more efficient that petrol.

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
I have only noticed it over winter, if its a warm day it gets up to temp fine its just when its cold.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Diesels traditionally take longer to warm up - if it cools at 50mph then it's likely the engine hasn't warmed up properly yet and as it's at less load, it is being cooled by the cooling system. If you let run it on the motorway for say 20 mins in the morning it should get up to temperature fine. Bear in mind it's a big lump of metal in there to warm up! Yes, so the temperature is measured in a local region but the cold engine will act as a big heat-sink!
Don't worry about it! :)

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
Well none if my other cars have ever done this in the winter they all seemed to get up to temp in the same sort of time!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.