Gloss Black Roof Wrap

Dec 3, 2023
Debating whether to get the roof wrapped gloss black on my Leon.... what are people's thoughts?

Better with or without? I thought it might blend nicely with the other gloss black elements around the windows.

Mocked it up in photoshop....
20240107_104515.jpg

black roof.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I prefer it without the black roof wrap.

Additionally, from a maintenance point of view, the black wrap will be prone to swirling in the same way that black paint and gloss black alloys are. Also, unless it’s just been washed, it will have either have a visible layer of dust on it in dry weather or if it’s rained on it will be covered in dusty spot marks when the rain dries up.

The above is just my opinion though, and it’s your car so if you want to do it you should just go for it, but before you do, a couple of other points to consider;
  • If you’re leasing or PCP’ing, it’d be worth checking your lease / PCP agreement to see if there’s anything in the small print regarding making modifications, although the wrap could be removed before returning the car at the end of the lease / PCP contract term (would removing it damage the paintwork though? - if so, you might be charged to rectify the damage).
  • Wrapping the roof will be a cosmetic modification from an insurance perspective, so could impact your premium.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I’d leave it. I thought about it on my Leon mk3, along with the front lip wrap to match, then decided against it. It looks good if you have a sunroof.

Dec 3, 2023
I prefer it without the black roof wrap.

Additionally, from a maintenance point of view, the black wrap will be prone to swirling in the same way that black paint and gloss black alloys are. Also, unless it’s just been washed, it will have either have a visible layer of dust on it in dry weather or if it’s rained on it will be covered in dusty spot marks when the rain dries up.

The above is just my opinion though, and it’s your car so if you want to do it you should just go for it, but before you do, a couple of other points to consider;
  • If you’re leasing or PCP’ing, it’d be worth checking your lease / PCP agreement to see if there’s anything in the small print regarding making modifications, although the wrap could be removed before returning the car at the end of the lease / PCP contract term (would removing it damage the paintwork though? - if so, you might be charged to rectify the damage).
  • Wrapping the roof will be a cosmetic modification from an insurance perspective, so could impact your premium.
I never even thought about the PCP or insurance side of things that's a really good point, it's on a 3 year PCP so I'd have to check..

It has crossed my mind about the maintenance aspect with swirls etc. and also the fact when it's fitted they'll likely be trimming the vinyl on the paintwork with a blade which is a bit of a worry.

Dec 3, 2023
I’d leave it. I thought about it on my Leon mk3, along with the front lip wrap to match, then decided against it. It looks good if you have a sunroof.
I think you're right, I'm going to just leave it as it is. I've been asking a few people's opinion today showing them the photo's and the consensus seems to be keep it grey.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a wrap then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
I’ve never had issues with graphics or wraps impacting insurance. Always declared & never made a difference (as long as reflective conforms to eu spec, red at back, white at front etc) & not chrome as causes issues with oncoming vehicles at night
I’ve done roof black on caddy & Ibiza. Swirls can be removed with heat gun or similar way to paint (just slower so not abrasive heat). Matte will show scratches less, gloss & matte can be ceramic coated. Hardest part will be removing & wrapping the shark fin aerial but if you don’t like it, at least you can peel it back off again & in the mean time, the vinyl has protected the paint underneath from tree sap & bird poop etc

Reactions: tracktoy
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise