Golf Gtd to ST

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
I'm thinking of changing my September 13 Gtd to either the Fr ST or going the whole 9 yards and making it the Cupra ST. I've got nav pro, park assist, rear camera and dcc on the golf but the only option I can see the same from seat is DCC. Thinking of changing mainly for the extra boot space and I really like the size of the ST being slightly smaller than a full blown estate ie Octavia vrs estate or golf all track. Any advice welcome.

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Best thing I would say is take them all for a good test drive (extended one if you can). Kick the tyres, knock on all the panels to check if you are happy with the materials used etc. Think the upgraded satnav is like £900 option on the leon's, not sure if thats the same as the golfs or not. Not sure about park assist or rear camera... think you can get a rear camera on the ibiza but not sure on leon.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
you'll find satnav updates are chargeable with Seat. Lots of gripes on here about that.
Drive at night as some people don't like the LED lights.
personally I think my ST is great. Like the shape - not that big estate rear-end like golf/octavia shape, looks like a long hatch IMO.
don't think a camera is a current option, but parking sensors are.
give it a spin. Mines a TDI184 FR. faster than a GTD?

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
the ST appears to be a negligible 0.3 secs slower, but thats to be expected given the size difference for the same engine etc.

Make sure you compare standard equipment specs too MC, I dont know whats included on the ST but there are a few things that the Leon doesnt have that the Golf will that arent on the options list.

mcmaddy

Aug 28, 2005
Cheers for the replies. It's the shape and the fact it's a small estate that is drawing me to it. I love the gtd but the boot just isn't big enough for our current circumstances. Are the led lights the same as what's on the gtd? Certainly given me food for thought. Maybe a trip to local dealer to have a mooch is in order.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
ST is a lovely looking car. The biggest difference I think is the interior ambiance, and quality, in my eyes the golf is better in that respect. As others have said check the spec closely, eg you don't get the puddle lights on the Seat that are standard on the GTD. The Seat has full LED lights assuming you get the Tech Pack the golf gets LED DRLs but Xenon headlights. GTD standard (gorgeous) 18s, Seat standard 17s unless you go Cupra. A few driving `aids`are also standard on the GTD but optional on the Seat, like City Brake Assist and lane guidance. Biggest difference is of course the price!

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
options can be confusing - many pre-reg cars have the performance 18s, convenience etc ordered by dealer to make the car more attractive in the showroom - it worked for me:).
you need to have a really good look at the standard trim, add on those extras you want - tech pack is generally free - and then compare prices. drive one with LEDs in the dark, rather than trust anybody else.
good luck...