Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I'm sure tyres have been covered over and over but can't seem to find any info on here about the above.

I currently have the standard Conti Sport Contact 5's on my fr 184. I'm looking for a quieter tyre and have found the above as being only 67dB. Has anyone had these and can advise whether they're worth the extra £10 per corner over the conti's?

My front tyres will require changing soon. If I was to change to Assy's, is it ok to just change the front 2 or would I have to change all 4?

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Reading about the Goodyears they get a good write up. However I highly rate the Conti's and even the newer Conti sc6.

Tyres are a personal choice and if your not happy with what's on the car why try something different.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Funnily enough, i'm highly likely to fit some assy3's to the rear of my 184 this week. Have used the 2 for a while, but seems that they are either not all that widely available now / same or more expensive than 3's - and I need a pair of rears!

pj106

Jan 10, 2015
Longridge
I'll be putting these on mine in the next couple of months. I had the assy 2's on my last car which was a Civic 2.2 Diesel (so front end heavy) and still got over 20K miles out of them. Good grip in wet and dry and fairly quiet. I would expect the assy 3's to be better again.

OU0Cupra

Jul 16, 2010
Chesterfield
Have 2 assy3's on the front of my 280. Far far better than the OEM bridgestones they replaced (no wheel hop under acceleration any more!) and would definitely recommend them.

Initial observations were that road noise was a little quieter but that might just have been from the bridgestones being on the limit when they were changed.

No experience with anything continental to make comparisons though I'm afraid.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Don't know about the 3's, but I have four 2's on my Cupra.

Hope the 3's are better to be honest. The 2's aren't that quiet and they certainly give way and spin up under acceleration, even when it's dry.

The Conti 5's are supposed to be really good. I'd stick with them.

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Mine had Conti 5s from new which I swapped for Assym 2s when I wore the Contis out. Assyms were better gripping and less noisy. I'm now on Assym 3s and they are better for grip and noise over the 2s. Wet grip is very good.

It's always difficult comparing when you change tyres because, in general, you're swapping a worn out pile of poo for a new shiny piece of rubber. I try to base my opinion on what the previous tyre was like when new.

All my humble opinion/s.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

Last edited:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I've been running them (on my MK2, if am allowed to say that) and I've had F1s since the GSD3s and these are the best yet.

However, massive annoyance is that on the 225/40/18s they have out atm there is no rim protector at all. You have been warned...

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Pair of rears on the 184 this morning. So far so good. Seem pretty quiet, but then my previous rears were getting incredibly noisy, I suspect they were worn out of shape, although it had never been raised at services.