Got a Test Drive

Chris Smith

Mar 19, 2019
My local Dealer in Norwich has had Demo arrive it is now registered and on the road, I have a test drive booked for Wednesday :thumbup: have car for the morning so i can give it a good try out, see what bits I like etc,:funk: if anyone wants to know anything I will have a look and report back.

Reactions: Syphon and jcbmally

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
That's great Chris. Enjoy.

Can you please check if the passenger side mirror dips reversing and the quality of audio system and the virtual pedal for tail gate

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
According to manual, mirror dips. I think it's standard in all VAGs now. Manual also says you can setup tilt position and store it. I hope virtual pedal works as well as in Audi or Skoda. I got used to this option and it's how I opened boot most of the time.

Chris Smith

Mar 19, 2019
Had test drive today, Car was a VZ2, Although dealer could not confirm ??. I am 6' 2" tall and "well built" to be honest i could not get comfortable had seat all the way back and steering wheel was then obviously all the way back i then could not exit car without taking legs off, same for getting in. move the seat to gain access it then was cramped for me as my arms and left leg were rubbing on the trim, This is just my opinion, my wife had a dead leg sitting in the passenger seat as seat squabs are short and did not support under the thigh fully, Salesman has said the same the car is smaller than they initially thought

I have personally cancelled my order as for me the car would not Fit, if bigger on the inside (Ateca Size) it would be a no brainer ( will have to cut 2 foot off my legs to make that work)

The car

Mirror Dipped on reverse
Foot waggle worked
New style key is cool
Phone paired ok wireless (apple Car play)
Car drove beautifully plenty of power (had a quick test drive in Ateca afterwards weirdly Felt quicker and for me more comfortable)
Managed 27mpg at end of test drive
Audio system was good for a basic unit had a bit of power to it had wife with me so could not wind right up
230v socket missing
plastic footrest as already mentioned
Rear reverse camera was clear but missed my top view (currently have Tarraco)
When you turn off ACC it still leaves a orange symbol on display whereas my Tarraco it disappears
Trying to turn of Auto stop start is now on the touchscreen
Also a bit confusing to set ACC (this is just down to me not fully reading before using) Tarraco works on Stalk not steering wheel

Hope this helps if i remember more i will post, at the moment i am looking at a Ateca Cupra just waiting for figures to come back

Chris Smith

Mar 19, 2019
Another thing i forgot My wife Owns a Cooper s Countryman and the Formentor looked small against it on the drive, not what i expected

JamesCLD

Dec 10, 2020
Hampshire
Interesting feedback. From my perspective, I'm 6ft 4 and after 9 months of working from home am definitely not small and svelte, and I fit in just fine.
Mine is currently parked next to my wife's Qashqai and its clearly lower and longer.

JamesCLD

Dec 10, 2020
Hampshire
I put some up on the New user's intro forum earlier, but not next to anything else...will see what I can park next to when it's daylight!

Reactions: Syphon

JamesCLD

Dec 10, 2020
Hampshire
Ok so it’s a bit dark and the angle is favourable but I’m parked next to an x3...it doesn’t look tiny in comparison

Attachments

• A46110C5-CE8D-40FA-8DFD-69F2C62125A9.jpeg
    A46110C5-CE8D-40FA-8DFD-69F2C62125A9.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: Nessy

Chris Smith

Mar 19, 2019
It might be that i am also 50 plus years old and my bones do not bend or flex as much as they did when i was younger, Another observation i made was the rear view mirror my Tarraco has a Frameless surround, Similar to VW etc whereas the the Formentor had the older style with a surround just seemed strange as it is sold as a the "latest" model and something so small was not added, Must of has some they wanted to use up or the Cupra bean counters have been busy again

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Formentor VZ2 metallic black with no extra options.

I will start with my cars history, to give proper background to review. Last few cars that I had, were brand new: 2014 Mercedes C63 w204, 2015 Audi S8, 2017 Audi A8 3.0 TDI Black Edition, 2019 Abarth 124 Spider. I also had 2x 2014 Mercedes SLK55 weekend cars, during S8 and A8 ownership. I parted with A8 in September and use Abarth as my daily. I didn't keep A8, because I was fed up with barge size and it was going out of warranty. It also had number of issues while in my ownership and I hated going to Audi service. Except that, it was great car to drive. I also went through hundreds of rental cars of different brands including sports cars and pickup trucks. I'm 5'7" tall and normal build, that's for seat and space comparison. I use cars for commute, at the moment mostly on M25 and I go on Eurotrips and to drive on mountain passes in the Alps.

I went to test drive the car in Crawley, where I know the roads and there's a choice of local ones with good and bad surface, and dual carriage with roundabouts, where you can test acceleration to 70mph.

20201212_105925.jpg

20201212_115226.jpg

Exterior and Interior.

Car was exactly the size I expected, a bit taller than Leon, but not real SUV. I don't need or want SUV, but a bit more clearance is welcomed for forest and fields roads I drive when on holiday.

Demo car was black with petrol blue seats. In general, everything looked good quality. Yes, at the rear plastic on the doors is harder than on front ones, but it was already raised in number of reviews I watched. And I'm not going to travel at the back anyway. There was a lot of space above my head and around me.

Rear has individual climate zone and 2 x USB C ports. There's enough space at the back for adults to travel comfortably. I don't expect to have passengers in my car, maybe a few times a year max.

20201212_114145.jpg

I was able to open the door using keyless by touching the handle, but I was not able to lock the car the same way. It's either software fault or it's supposed to work this way? Virtual kick under the boot worked. I also used button on the driver's door to open and close the boot. You have to hold it, while boot is closing. Had the same boot functionality in Audi.

IN VZ2 there's a spare wheel in the boot. In Edition there's no spare wheel and you can move the floor to lower level. There was road assistance kit. But there are NO SOCKETS in the boot at all, not even 12V, which I think is strange and rather inconvenient if you plan to take portable fridge on a day out or a trip. The only 12V socket is under the armrest at the front.

I only drove for 20 minutes, but I thought that seats are hard. And I'm coming from Abarth which is not very comfortable, but apparently has softer seats. Maybe you can get used to hard seats and setup them in optimal position, 20 minutes test drive is not enough for that. Also, when getting off the car, the bolster was touching my tights. That might be standard with taller cars, but I'm not used to it. It's not as bad, as metal seat belt holder in Camaro that was bruising my leg every time I was getting off and discouraged me from buying one.

Drive.

Before driving off, I switched off Start/Stop, Lane Assist, Front Assist. I didn't use ACC either, as it seemed a bit complicated with all the options. It's also worth switch off Eco tips which are hidden in settings. Otherwise, you will get advice to change from S to D or other tips and it will take over main part of the dash and cover speedo.

20201212_113855.jpg

20201212_113901.jpg

I tested all driving modes, starting with Comfort. It felt like a boat, but you have to consider, that I'm driving daily sporty car with hard suspension, so most cars can feel that way to me. I also thought the same about Audi S8 in Comfort mode, when I changed from Mercedes C63. I got used to it after some time and it was fine. Sport mode was a bit better. Cupra mode is supposed to make more noise, but it wasn't that loud. And I definitely didn't hear any engine sound from speakers. People complained about it in some reviews. I didn't feel a lot of difference between D and S mode of the gearbox, like I felt in previous Audis. I don't think Cupra mode is too much, inconvenient or noisy. I think it would be the mode, I would drive as standard, until I would get used to more comfortable ones.

310bhp, well I must say, that I didn't feel that at all. Maybe my test drive was too short. I thought that A8 diesel had better pull with 262bhp and felt quicker when flored. It supposedly was 5.9s to 62mph, Cupra is 4.9s to 62mph. Even Abarth feels faster with measly 167bhp and 6.8s to 62mph, because it makes more noise and you think, you're driving faster.

Standard brakes were ok. Fuel efficiency wasn't great but it was a short drive. I usually get decent mpg in my cars.

20201212_114052.jpg

Infotainment.

It wasn't as bad, as I thought, but I read Formentor manual and watched instructional video in German on YT. So I knew a bit about it. Accessing Car menu to switch all assistance annoyances was easy, but you have to do it, every time you start the car.

I paired my phone easily, contacts were imported, audio function connected. I tested the sound and well, it wasn't that great, but not tragic. I didn't have car with standard audio since 2009, so difficult to compare it.

Wireless charging worked ok. I forgot to bring USB cable to test other functions like mirroring and Android Drive. Salesman had Iphone and I could see he used it with mirroring.

I lowered volume to zero, but when I was going through different audio options and media, volume was turned up again couple of times. You can change in Setting startup volume, so you could just take it to zero and keep it this way. Much better than in Audi, where there's no option to switch off the infotainment and when you start the car, audio will come up. I usually switched to Jukebox, which was empty, to make sure, I don't have any music playing at startup.

There's also switch off "button" on the screen. You will get black screen with clock and few basic functions like start/stop, parking aid, etc.

I reversed into parking bay and camera was very clear. However mirror didn't dip, not setup in options of the car.

When I put my post code into navigation, it gave me two choices and none of them had street name, but grid references. I clicked on one of them and it was post code with one digit different than mine, the other one was my street. Never had something like this in any car. How am I suppose to know grid referenced for post codes? I didn't do any searches for POI. I saw on Ateca forum, that people said the same thing about their last destinations shown as grid reference, not actual address.

After playing with Infotainment for 20 minutes, my left shoulder started to ache from the movement. Infotainment screen was a bit too far and I had to reach to touch it. Also, sometimes it was difficult to press the icon precisely, especially while driving. Or I pressed on icon and nothing happened.

I played with interior lighting but wasn't aware that you have to have exterior lights switched on, for it to come on. Salesman showed me this after the test drive. Orange side assist light was working during the test drive.

Summary.
I wasn't thrilled but I wasn't disappointed either. For a daily it would do, but it's not as fast as I expected and seats felt hard.

The thing is, I find it difficult to find exciting new car for daily driver function. I either don't like exterior, or interior, it's wrong brand, wrong engine, or something else. I don't treat cars like white goods, there must be something that makes me want them. Formentor is the only car that caught my eye in recent months. I liked the way it looked, equipment list is good and brand is a bit niche.

Ordering and delivery.

Good news is, you don't have to order white to be under £40K tax bracket in UK. P11D price for VZ2 is £38,470.00 and then you have £1305 for 1st Year RFL and £55 registration fee. So you can order standard and premium metallic. Demo car had standard metallic and list price on documents was £39025. I checked DVLA website with salesman and there's no additional road tax for 5 years. You can check it for yourself, car reg is GY70YYD.

Another good news: there are some stock vehicles available in different colours and versions.

I can certainly recommend Cupra Euro Crawley. Salesman was very knowledgable.

Now, I have to think if the car is good enough to be my daily and if some missing options will be a problem or not. I can't think of any other brand new car that fits my long list of requirements, I like it, etc.

Edition in Metallic Grey Tech.
20201212_115403.jpg

Metallic Grey Tech. Looks nice, but I could see small scratches on it already.
20201212_115412.jpg

Last edited:

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
That is a awesome review :clap: , big question will you order ?? i am now looking at Ateca Cupra for me personally, had a test drive straight after Formentor and to me it felt a bit quicker, although most of the You Tube vids show the Formentor quicker
Well, I already ordered. The only thing I can do, is check with salesman if I can change colour without re-quoting finance, because now PCH price is £75 higher per month or £2K over 2 years. Or I can cancel, but I won't be rushing to do this, without thinking about it. I never ordered car without test driving it (except taking stock A8, but I already knew the model).

I saw these videos, drag race of Ateca and Formentor. Ateca is no option for me, it's a SUV and it doesn't have leather interior. I never had Cupra before, because all of them had cloth or Alcantara interiors. And I like to clean my leather seats frequently. I know previous - previous Leon Black Edition was "given" away on PCH a few years ago and last one was cheap too, but no leather.

Thanks Agnes. Nice review. Was there any other colored car apart from grey and black at the dealership.
I just spoken with salesman, I guess I misunderstood him, they don't have any more on site, just more coming in future.

Thanks for the write up. Glad you finally managed to get to spend time with one.

Let us know if you decide to get one. You don't seem 100% convinced though!
That's what I said to salesman. I'm not convinced. I have to think about it.

Nice C63 came up on Autotrader today, but 6 years old AMG is not good candidate for daily. I have at least 30 searches on Autotrader and trawl thorugh it every day, looking for miracle, something I really want and have to have now. But there's limited amount of cars, when you search for below 5s to 62mph.

All new car models lost noisy exhaust due to GPF filters, Audi practically killed acceleration in their models, etc. It's difficult to find something decent and not costing fortune.

Reactions: jcbmally and Syphon