got it lowered at last!

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
did the front suspension yesterday. bit of a mission cos I couldn't take the wheels off due to me being a spoon and driving off with the locking wheel nut adapter still attatched to a wheel bolt!
measured the drop as the springs were listed for mk2/mk3 ibiza 96-02 1.4/1.6/1.8 -20mm
the spring rate is a bit firmer, but not too harsh and it's dropped 33mm on the rear and 39mm on the front but it hasn't settled yet. despite the camber issue it seems to handle really well! it's literally like a new car cos all the dampers were brand new KYB's and the springs are brand new H&R proggressive wound.

here she is!

before;
22112008286.jpg

after;
21122008506.jpg

need to get the camber adjusted! i just had to take a guess when tightening the bolts up!
21122008507.jpg

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
the odd thing is, it seems to have almost endless front end grip! absoloutely flies round corners! i might leave it as it is! mind you, i bet it'll spin it's wheels easily in the wet and that might be a bit of a problem.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
not to mention crazy tyre wear! i might get a garage to set it up properly at a lesser camber but still negative, perhaps 1 or 2 deg and see how it goes. if it doesn't work then i'll just get it set to how it should be.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
yeah they seem good so far! quite a smooth ride (considering it's been lowered) and yet next to no body roll, just enough to grip. got them second hand, but unused from the gaybay for 30 quid! they're summat daft like 110 quid new! and I think I was wise to get good quality oem spec KYB dampers rather than 180 quid all in shock/coil spring like I was going to

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
As said you might get good grip when cornering with camber like that, but breaking and straight lines might be a problem.
Goodbye tyres too. Looks a nice drop though matey

Ollie

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.