GPS Speed Camera Detectors

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
This probably isn't the right place to post question but here goes:

Looking to buy a GPS Speed Camera detector to go in my new TFSI and looking for advice on whether to get the Road Angel 2 or road angel navigation 6000 thing or a TomTom One and load the speed camera database on it.

I think the tomtom and RA2 are in a similar price bracket. I'm quite good at reading a map etc so havin SATNAV isn't esential but I'm after a good GPS device for detecting speed cameras etc, what do you guys recommend?

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
I use a Navman iCN530 with fixed and mobile camera point of interest addon and it works very well, plus it is an excellent navigation tool (all European maps too).

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
How much was the navman? Does it warn about cameras even if there isn't a route programmed and does it tell you what the speed limit is?

I've been doing some research and have found TDS TR30 Lite, seems to cover everything I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience of these?

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
How much was the navman? Does it warn about cameras even if there isn't a route programmed and does it tell you what the speed limit is?

I've been doing some research and have found TDS TR30 Lite, seems to cover everything I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience of these?

It was just under £200 with UK and Ireland preloaded. All of Europe on CD. I bought an extra 1/2 GB of memory and loaded France and most Germany on too. As far I know it does warn you even if your route is not planned. No speed limit warning though although I think you can preset a designated speed limit warning in the Navman settings (have not tried it though).

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I found a good deal on the TR30 Lite, it does everything I want, GPS camera detection, black spots, what the speed should be etc. Will post thread once I've had a chance to use it!

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
whats the battery life like, i had a Mio269 and it was to big and batt didn't last long, had to flog it on ebay, looking to get one of these though, what they like ??

Battery is good for about 4 hours, you can set up power save mode which switches off the LCD if you're stationary for a defined amount of time. The other thing I like about the Navman is that it's not too large. It measures about 120 x 75 x 20 mm so is compact enough to slip into a pocket. Some other Satnavs I had looked at have been too large for that.
The other neat thing is that the traffic module is a once only purchase so no subscription, I'll probably get one next month.
If you're interested PM me and I can email you the high res user manual that comes on the install CD (about 3 meg in size), better quality than the one you can download from the Navman web site.

Last edited:

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
cheapest i have seen the navman icn530 is costco @ £140. only until thr 29th oct

ordered my Navman, costco ran out but will get more in @ same price £140. shame as i was going to use it to get to grimsby this week to pick up[ my new FR.

Greytop

Leon FR-TDI 170
Sep 19, 2006
Reading, Berkshire
Can you upload some shots of how you've got it installed?? (It's all about the style boys)

and how have you connected in the power?

No fixed install for me, I prefer the removable "it wasn't there approach" ;) as it's my vehicle a prefer to leave the dash untouched.

If I need to charge it it sits smack bang in the centre of the screen. If the battery charge is high I normally mount it just to the right of the instruments next to the 'A' pillar.

Last edited:

PWB

The TR30 is total crap as I have heard, first of all it does not detect speed cameras, it looks like a toy. and it has a map in it (no speed detection). And they charge you 50Pounds annual fee for it.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I've had the TR30 Lite for a few days and think its good. It is a GPS device and therefore is like road angel etc and doesn't detect cameras it just knows the coordinates of all the camera sites and knows your position and alerts you when you get close.

Road angel also have annual subscriptions etc...

PWB

Hello Wurzel, nice to hear you like it.

I have a friend who has but he is not to happy with it, since he bought the thing he allready got 2 tickets for speeding. Ashame it cannot detect mobile police setups.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
I'll see how I get on with it, have always been sceptical about these things but so far it has been really good.

Has your friend kept it up to date on the internet? I don't think it matters which device you go for the police can get you with a laser gun upto a mile away, but it gives warning to most of the traps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members