Green cotton or pipercross?

epts2008

rule the bends
Mar 19, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Well I have had many disputes with friends over which panel filter is best I say piper cross others say green cotton just wondered what are your views on which one is best?

jamiebennett81

green cotton, less oily unlike other filters and is a popular brand on here

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
i'm going green cotton when i can actually be arsed to order one for same reasons as above and for the fact i've already got the oil/cleaner kit,bargain,fiver in halfrauds:D nothing like cart before horse eh? ;)

rosssifr

I'm selling my Pipercross Panel Filter for £25 posted recorded delivery if you're interested.I had it on an 08 plate ibiza FR Tdi. It was only on the car for just over 3 weeks and covered 700'ish miles.
I've posted info in the for sale section but it'll need to be cleared by the admins before its in the for sale section.
PM me if you're interested. Looking for payment through paypal.
Cheers Ross

epts2008

rule the bends
Mar 19, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Does green cotton give you better bhp figures then as I know pipercross give 3-5hp what the green cotton one like as ive noticed they are rather more expensive?

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
Jetex outflows Green.

And that matters because?

It really narks me when people roll out the old 'oiled filters' mess up the MAF arguement. This is a myth generated by dodgy sales marketing and a couple of unfortunate incidents by careless people heavily over-oiling after cleaning. (And i mean HEAVILY) MAFs are actually damaged by poorly plumbed PCV systems in modified induction systems.

What none of the manufacturers will tell you is the rate of air-flow degredation vs weight of accumliated particle contamination. I mean, when clean a standard paper filter will flow virtually as well as either a foam or cotton gauze filter. The relative advantages are more associated with the engine environment than flow. Both cotton and foam filters can absorb quite a lot of crud, but foam filters are easier to clean. Cotton filters can flow more air at high contamination levels.

As for one filter flowing 'better' than another, that's totally irrelevant. Your engine requires a set ammount of air so your filter is either restrictive or it isn't. If you need 300cfm there's no point having a filter rated a 600cfm. In fact you should find that it's exceptionally rare for a decent panel filter in the standad airbox to be restrictive, even with a bit of mild tuning.

For example, a K&N flows at approx 6cfm per sq inch when carrying 10000 miles worth of contamination. You spec the filter area accordingly and job done. It's not rocket science.

The slightly more complex matter is making sure the flow to the filter, and from the filter via the MAF to the inlet / turbo is un-restricted. Pipe-flow mechanics comes in there, but as a rule of thumb, if you keep the air velocity between mach 0.05 and 0.07 you're OK. (Mach 1 = speed of sound = 342m/s at room temp) This is where standard airboxes fall down...

In summary, fit whatever does an adequate job, is cheap and you are able to maintain. Anything over and above is a waste of money (unless of course you're going for aesthetics!) which inludes some CAI kits i have seen...

Last edited:

J0N

Defected!
I have the logs to prove that a Jetex cone outflows a Green Cotton panel filter in a smoothed/drilled airbox when fitted to a stage 1 remapped car, this would not happen if I were already getting optimum airflow from my previous setup. I agree that there is no point in having an air filter that is rediculously over sized but with cars turbo charged cars that are mapped to run a higher boost some setups are definately better than others. This was certainly the case with me.

Last edited:

james.g

Nov 28, 2009
York
I have the logs to prove that a Jetex cone outflows a Green Cotton panel filter in a smoothed/drilled airbox when fitted to a stage 1 remapped car, this would not happen if I were already getting optimum airflow from my previous setup. I agree that there is no point in having an air filter that is rediculously over sized but with cars turbo charged cars that are mapped to run a higher boost some setups are definately better than others. This was certainly the case with me.

You've demonstrated (but not proved) that one system flows better than another, however you've missed the point. The discussion was related to one filter type vs another. Was it the filter or the airbox that restriced your flow previously?

Do you actually know what your peak airflow is?

How do you know your current system still isn't restrictive? (But less so than previously)

Also, is your cone part of a CAI system or does it sit in the engine bay?

J0N

Defected!
You've demonstrated (but not proved) that one system flows better than another, however you've missed the point. The discussion was related to one filter type vs another. Was it the filter or the airbox that restriced your flow previously?

Do you actually know what your peak airflow is?

How do you know your current system still isn't restrictive? (But less so than previously)

Also, is your cone part of a CAI system or does it sit in the engine bay?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. If the discussion was one filter type vs another then you have to admit that post no. 17 went on a bit of a tangent, although it does point out that, "In fact you should find that it's exceptionally rare for a decent panel filter in the standad airbox to be restrictive, even with a bit of mild tuning".

2. Expected MAF is between 200-210g/s. This information is from Mike at JBS/Custom-Code.

3. Because my current maximum MAF reading is 209.14g/s, before it was 194.17g/s

4. It sits in the engine bay and does not currently have it's own CAI.