Groaning sound when turning at low speed

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
Hi all,

I own a 2018 facelift SEAT Leon FR 1.8tsi, from the first 12.000km I started to hear a groaning sound while steering at parking lot. Sound seems progressive, the more I steer the more pronounced the sound is. Either steering left or right.
The sound is noticable when car is cold started and seems to fade out during some driving and after some time dissapears, only to appear the next cold start. Car runs on summer sport tyres on 18" wheels. Cannot reproduce the sound at neutral but only with gear engaged.
Anyone such symptoms??

Also posting a link below from a video found with same problem. He says that problem stops with winter wheels. That gets me into thinking of hard sporty tyres and steering geometry.

Stoob

Apr 21, 2018
My insignia does the same thing, but only when on hard lock, in my case it's the power steering pump making the noise.

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
My insignia does the same thing, but only when on hard lock, in my case it's the power steering pump making the noise.

yes, but usually when the power steering pump is shot, it makes noise either stationary or moving car, either is cold or warmed up.

in my case, noise stops after car is driven for about 20-30 minutes

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
Hi LouG,
what do you mean by spring pads? The absorber bump stoppers???
Did you have yours fixed? and how?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The springs sit on insulating rubber mouldings at the bottom to reduce NVA, they can make noises when they are dry and dirty. You could spray WD40 or silicone at the bottom of the spring to see if it stops.
I haven't bothered about it, it only does it in the morning and at full lock.

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
I'm pretty afraid of being something related to transmission,
in the parking lot, while testing, I have noticed that when constantly moving into circle,
maintaining this way that the suspension keeps a specific geometry,
the sound is too loud and only stops as I press the clutch pedal.
With clutch pedal pressed and keeping the same circular movement, no sound at all !!
If I release the clutch pedal, the sound starts again.

I'm not having this issue only on full lock. That seems progressive to me,
a little steering a little sound, a little more steering a little more sound,
full lock full groan.

Was too busy these days and didn't bring it in for inspection

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
**update

had a little time and tried jacking up the car and pouring some water on the lower spring isolator pads. Drove after few minutes and noise seems to be significally reduced.

I must refer that even my car is few months old, excessive amount of dust, mud etc was sitting in the spring pads.

I will try to moisturise the pads with some silicon based lubricant and report back for those interrested.

Thanks LouG!!

Maybe in the Arona is a bit better, but in the Leon FR with that suspension and low profile tyres, there is not any margin to absorb the anomaly.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G935F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: LouG

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
**update #2
Greetings to all,
finally I got the issue resolved !!!

After excessive checking and searching, I found that during the heavy raining this summer, I got some water in the gearbox compartment.

Water can enter through the breather on top of the manual gearbox.

So, I went to the dealership service, and had flushed and refilled the gearbox oil couple of times.

At the beginning I saw no good at all, kept groaning, strange shifting feeling,
but after around 400-500km of usage.... voila, no noise anymore, and shifts like day 1.

So in conclusion, degraded gearbox oil (low level or corrupted in any way) can cause the gearbox to groan, specially when steering at low speeds.

Nice

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
The only thing I can think of is that the diff is making the noise, the gearbox doesn't know you're turning. Very weird.
yes but as far as I know, gearbox oil lubricates diff also. they belong to the same block. talking about manual transmission...

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G935F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Miltiadis K

Oct 9, 2018
***update #3
One week with a perfect stick!!!

It has been 7 days with no groaning problem, the car is maneuvering softly and silent, and shifting is like day 1 also.

I consider this issue resolved successfully ... !!!

Reactions: LouG

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
Sorry to resurrect an old post. But did this serve to be a permanent fix? I'm having the exact issues with a moaning groaning noise when pulling away or reversing with steering on medium lock. Hope it doesn't mean gearbox failure!

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
OK so just if anyone else comes across this post in the future with a similar query; I had exactly the same symptoms as above. Turning steering any more than a quarter turn at slow speed made that weird moan / groan that could be slightly felt through steering wheel and pedals. As above, changed the gearbox oil for seat recommended stuff. (12 quid a litre stuff) after a ten mile drive, the car is perfect and has remained absolutely silent couple hundred miles later. Completely fixed! (fingers crossed it stays that way!)

Reactions: SuperV8
Aug 2, 2021
Hey there! I have a Audi A3 and it does the exact same noise as in the video. I had the oil changed 100-150km ago more or less, it improved, but it is still there. It drives me crazy. How is for you guys that solved the problem going? I need hope over here.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise