Grooved discs direction

charlietruman

Dec 29, 2004
currently hull, then brighton!
Right, i have just ordered a full set of Tarox G88 discs and strada pads and although they will arrive in boxes with labels on the side telling me which side of the car to fit them on i have this Observation to make:

i have been looking about as you do at the scooby's, porsche's, sports hatches etc and have seen that some have discs with the grooves pointing away from the forward turn of the wheel and some pointing into the forward turn, this must have a big diffference on the cheesegrater effect of grooved discs and have an effect on braking performace and on expelling brake dust efficiently.

i would have thought that a forward facing groove would increase braking performance but eat pads for breakfast?

any ideas? :shrug:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i think this is a horses for courses one,manufacturers differ.personally they go backwards,this surely expell crap outward as the go forward,otherwise chuck the gunk into the hub rather than out of the disc????

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Yeh horses for course's. It doesnt really matter that much but I think Tarox tell you to fit them with the grooves tapering in.

Which is how I fit mine.

charlietruman

Dec 29, 2004
currently hull, then brighton!
F2 Stu said:
Yeh horses for course's. It doesnt really matter that much but I think Tarox tell you to fit them with the grooves tapering in.

Which is how I fit mine.

i have read brembo bill's scare stories regarding tarox G88'S i do not know whether to be concerned or not? how have they been for you?

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I dont ever intend on using Tarox discs as the grooves penetrate the outer circumfrence of the disc - which isnt as strong as grooves that dont.

Many people use them without proplem, But Bill isnt like most people:D

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i'm sure bill won't argue this,he is exceptional to the rule when it comes to disc and pad life:his car,track use mainly,yours 99% road use.
though when buyong discs i'd never buy tarox,far too expensive

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I've got Galfer Tuning discs and they give you a choice of the way to mount them, normal (rear facing) or aggressive (forward facing). I'm running them aggressive and am really pleased with their performance. Brake dust problem is far less than previous oem and the 1055 pads seem to be wearing ok.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.