Gti 16v central locking problems. HELP!!!

JaysCupra16v

Hi guys.

I have recently bought my 1st Seat Ibiza Gti 16v the other month there which i am currently prepping for a respray and a few things for its MOT.

The main problem i have is that the central locking doesn't lock the car at all.

When i put the key in the lock and turn it, all the locks go down then right back up again.

When i disconnect and reconnect the battery they go up and down about 4 times but still they don't stay locked

The key fob doesn't work as i think it needs resetting to the car but surely that's not the problem.

Any help would be great as i am totally lost :(

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Sounds like an air leak somewhere.

The locking system on the mk2 is pneumatic/air-driven so if a pipe has popped off somewhere or has a hole in it the car doesnt lock as there is a 'break' in the system so to speak.

Start from the pump and follow all the lines and see if one of the pipes has popped off by the locks/door handles.

JaysCupra16v

Thanks for that, ill strip the interior down and try to eliminate any faults.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Yeah, sounds like a leak. The pump unit is in the boot, driver's side between the inner and outer wing, near the suspension strut. There should be a piece of cord attached to it tied to the side of the boot. That's the emergency unlock (to release the vacuum) if the unit gets stuck.

JaysCupra16v

Thanks. Are the pumps usually faulty with it being pneumatic??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.