GTi vs FR handling

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I read on the Top Gear site, amongst other places that the FR's handling isn't quite up to the GTi's. I am in the market for one or the other, after an inconclusive test drive in both. I wondered if anyone else has more experience of both cars. Thanks.

Robbo73

Seat Leon Cupra K1
Aug 9, 2009
Hi. I test drove the FR then Cupra K1 then finally the Golf GTI mkV before settling for the FR. I loved the quirkiness of the FR over the golf which in fairness would have been the safe bet. For me there just wasn't 4 grand more enjoyment from the golf and you do see rather a lot more than the Seats on the road. I love my FR. The TFSI engine and DSG gearbox as good as the VW and I didn't think the handling was too light. If you want something different, I'd go for the Seat myself but that's my opinion.

Cheers!
Iain

I've driven the Mk6 GTi and the Leon FR but have the Cupra, I never got chance to drive the MK6 really hard as the salemans would probably have told me to slow down :) I was looking for the GTi Mk5 before settling on the Cupra but I would say that the GTi is the better steer, its steering is a little sharper although the Cupra differs from the FR by havin alluminium in its suspension, I would say both the FR and CUpra could be made as good as the GTI. If you prefer 3 door then the GTi is your only option however if you are happy with 5 doors then the FR well Cupra will win everytime, for the price its a complete bargin.

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I read on the Top Gear site, amongst other places that the FR's handling isn't quite up to the GTi's. I am in the market for one or the other, after an inconclusive test drive in both. I wondered if anyone else has more experience of both cars. Thanks.

I cant comment on the Petrol FR, but can confirm that a Diesel FR doesent handle as well as a MKV Gti - not saying the FR is bad, as its relatively capable, but it sometimes just feels "oversprung" at high speed.

Chris

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I tried the MK5 GTI and Cupra prior to settling for my petrol FR. IMO you get more feel from the GTI steering, but performance to the FR i found no different. Money no object i would probably have gone for the GTI, but as has been said the FR is a bit different and i have no complaints, GTI are 2 a penny round here as well, rarely see an FR.

I actually have a Mk6 Golf as a company car for a few days, only a tiddly 1.4 but handles very well so i expect the MK6 GTI is superb, but you'll pay a large premium for it plus extra for the standard FR Toys like MFSW, Folding Mirrors, CC and even the new XDS system is standard on the FR but extra on the GTI.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
before I bought petrol FR I test drove mk5 GTI and FR diesel and I might be wrong but FR diesel seemed much smoother then petrol... in fact I'm surprised how hard suspension is on petrol FR...

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
If you don't mind modifying the suspension, then I'd suggest that you take the car you like most and put Koni FSD's and H&R springs on them. The ride will be much more refined AND controlled over stock suspension of either car, plus it will look better lowered[B)]

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Everybody knocks the FR due to it's hard ride...but the golf's is the same, but feels much more supplue due to its extra weight.

Petrol FR will murder the Mk5 Gti... ;)

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Everybody knocks the FR due to it's hard ride...but the golf's is the same, but feels much more supplue due to its extra weight.

Petrol FR will murder the Mk5 Gti... ;)

The Mk5 Gti is MUCH more stable at high speed than the FR... and I dont think its down to the weight...

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I've driven the Mk6 GTi and the Leon FR but have the Cupra, I never got chance to drive the MK6 really hard as the salemans would probably have told me to slow down :) I was looking for the GTi Mk5 before settling on the Cupra but I would say that the GTi is the better steer, its steering is a little sharper although the Cupra differs from the FR by havin alluminium in its suspension, I would say both the FR and CUpra could be made as good as the GTI. If you prefer 3 door then the GTi is your only option however if you are happy with 5 doors then the FR well Cupra will win everytime, for the price its a complete bargin.

if you want 3 doors then surely the Sirocco is a much better option....

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
I also think the Golf is a German Focus...too common, everybody has one ! :confused:

I drove Gti / Gti DSG / FR and Cupra back to back...

Golf felt slow, heavy and dull. :sleepy:

FR way better, much more like a proper sportscar...& Cupra totally rules !!! :)

Leonidas

I seen a review on youtube between a Leon(cant remember if it was FR or Cupra) and a Gti a while back. I remember one of the tests was to throw the cars into a tight corner at high speed. The Gti came bouncin around the corner like a van, and the Leon -- straight and true ;)
Ill hav a look later to see if I can find it....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise