Gutted...crashed

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
Alright guys i need your opinion

Just crashed my 02 seat ibiza cupra mk3. Was drivin along at about 40mph. started to brake as i came to a junction and suddenly all the dash lights i.e tcs abs etc came on. the car did not brake and it went up a kerb, over a street sign and into a bush eventually landing against a building.

It was like the brakes just would not work. Just had car pulled out of the bush and the brakes feel different. its like you have to press really hard. Not like usual when braking was easy

a chap at seat thinks its maybe the brake servo

why would this happen? i could not do a thing about it?

what would do this?

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
Yeah I had it done not long ago, is there any way this pipe could have affected the servo?

You're all talking about this pipe, is this a common fault? Has anyone had any problems with Seat after having the pipe recall actioned?

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
sadly brakes do fail from time to time.

but you check to see if the road was icey? is that a possibility?

sounds like the brake may have failed, but at the same time they may have been damaged / effected due to the crashing through a hedge.
all pipes checked ok?

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
Road was slightly wet but not icy. when braking as approaching the junction there was nothing in the way of brakes. it just kept going. Sort of a brake fade type feeling but multiplied. The brake is really stiff now

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
yeah there are but only to certain extent and you have to really push them down. which is unexpected. how can i tell if there servo has gone

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
I think you have to pump the brakes with the engine off. This uses up any vacuum in the system. Then hold the pedal down and start the engine. If the pedal sinks a bit then the servo is working.

I once lost the servo on a merc sprinter when a pipe came off. Scary isn't the word. Both feet and lifting off the seat I was pushing so hard.

Last edited:

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
tried that. it does sink abit. but the brakes def aint as usual. When you brake hard usually you get the light on the dash flash? NOT ANYMORE. what could it be

it does not really matter as i am liable. i can take that. but i wanna know why. if it was my bad driving i would say so but i was let down by my brakes and just wanna know why

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
i know what its like to loose the brakes too. I borrowed a vna from where i a work, was heading doen the a12 towards essex, saw a queue of traffic in front, and i braked but ofund i had no servo assistance.

SCARY!! like posted above i was out the seat standing on the brakes to stop.

Paul

scrob

M3 Driver
moonman374 said:
Yeah I had it done not long ago, is there any way this pipe could have affected the servo?

You're all talking about this pipe, is this a common fault? Has anyone had any problems with Seat after having the pipe recall actioned?

I had my pipe recalled in May, come October it has split again, so had it replaced again.

:banned:

moonman374

Feb 14, 2005
nope unfortunatly not. need to get it checked over big time. brakes still feel weird. plus there is what seems to be a fair bit of mech damage

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Redcupra20vt said:
i know what its like to loose the brakes too. I borrowed a vna from where i a work, was heading doen the a12 towards essex, saw a queue of traffic in front, and i braked but ofund i had no servo assistance.

SCARY!! like posted above i was out the seat standing on the brakes to stop.

Paul
i had an experiance too.pick a van up that had had the alternator replaced,some chimp hadn't tightened it up enough,belt went slack and that also ran the servo on the old ford transit,first time i used them was to slow me down a country hill,ended up (luckily) in the lay by at the bottom sideways after using the hand brake and gear box to slow me down from approx 50 odd mph,the smell in the van wasn't friction material i can tell you :redface:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.