Had an accident!!

westlondonsun

On Tues 9th I had someone sideswipe my Seat Leon and send my car sliding towards the kerb, where sure enough my lovely alloys were destroyed :doh: (See pic attached)
http://www.photo-host.org/v/music/47775909102007003_2.jpg

The person who hit me has agreed to pay for a replacement alloy wheel of the same make as my other 3 are fine.

The problem here is that I need a:

Momo x-43 17x7 alloy wheel with an:
ET(Offset): 35
PCD: 5/100

Momo-uk have informed me they have none in stock as it is a discontinued make.

Q1) Probarly a long shot but does anyone have one they want to sell ?

Q2) Does anyone think from looking at the pic of the alloy that it can be repaired by taking to someone to melt some allumninum into its place :headhurt:(The guy who hit me is basically thinking this might be cheaper than buying a new set)
Pic of alloy: http://www.photo-host.org/v/music/47775909102007003_2.jpg

If the top two arent possible which i think not my other question is (thanks to those who have read this far)

Q3) I need to decide which alloy wheels to go for my car- pic also attached. http://www.photo-host.org/v/romance/142827car.jpg

The guy who is going to purchase my alloy is agreeing to buy me a set instead as he really doesnt want to go through the insurance (in which case they wont replace my alloys anyway)

So i probarly have approx 400 pounds to spend on a new set as he doesnt really want to spend the world and i can understand that even though i am fuming, can anyone help me as I dont have the first clue on which alloy wheels will fit my car.

I dont know what PCD or ET my car can take - does it have to be 5/100 and and offset of 35??

Thanks
Westlondonsun:cry:

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
i dont get it? has he not damaged the rest of your car at all? e.g. the side? if the wheels hit the kerb with such force you also want to bill him for tracking and make sure your axels aint bent? can you elaborate more on the accident? looks to me like he's just trying to get out of something that could well be his fault, you could claim wiplash, and side damage to your veichle etc.. if you take the alloys as payment you prob wont stand much ground against him if further damage is found. go and get your car checked out. then tell him whats wrong and give him a quote for damage. then ask him (or her by the way) how much they are willing to put towards wheels.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I agree with the above - I'd say there was a strong likelihood that you've got suspension damage from the force of the impact - it needs to be looked at

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
You might want to take it in somewhere to get the car checked out - just because you can't see or feel it now - you might find there's something only slightly damaged just now, but will show itself in a month or something.

You don't want to get to (an alleged) 100 for something to let go....

Insurance can suck, but if the repair's not done properly, you'll have some comeback - if you go through this way - you won't.

It might cost you more in the long run.

mattbeef

Apr 10, 2007
Sheffield
Go through the insurance mate!
Seriously its not worth it. Like its already been said you dont want to get upto motorway speeds and then a shocker let go do you.

Or atleast get someone to give it a once over underneath

james_tiger_woo

VW Passat B6 2.0 TDi SE
Jun 19, 2007
Lincolnshire
I had a major "off" into a field (backwards) in my VW Bora a couple of years ago and there was no apparent damage (apart from a wrecked wheel) so I left it alone.

Bad idea - the front N/S shock slowly let itself go to the point that where the car was dangerous at speeds over 50mph.

Took it to the dealer and the shock was actually destroyed (and some other bits too) - Fortunately it was fixed under warranty as I neglected to mention the "off" :whistle:

Lesson learned there....

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
***K that! Go through insurance. Tell the geeza the wheel is not replaceable and you will need a set of 4 wheels and tyres. If he can fit the bill fot this then great, if not tell him your going to his insurers. GET YOURSELF SOME NEW RIMS!!

andycupra

status subject to change
so he didnt actually side swipe you then? what is the details of the accident? round about? dual carriageway?

alloy, is not repairable, (safely) if someone says they can ignore them and besides, it will end up costing a good few hundred anyway.

up to you whether you go through insurance or not, bear in mind he may not be insured and a claim will be on your record whether your fault or not.
you may not even win, as if you have not hit each other then whats to say he wont turn around and say it was nothing to do with him. If there are no witnesses id say you will lose :( so will end up costing your excess and increase in premium.

i think as hes being 'so nice' about it he may not be insured.
and i agree regarding tracking and other damage, so id say get it checked over and add to the bill!

Last edited:

Havok316

Boost Junky
Jun 6, 2006
Weston-super-Mare
Id take it to seat get a full report and then pass a copy of that report to the guy who crashed into you and see if hes willing to pay if not go through the insurance company oh yea and make him pay for the inspection too.

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
please tell me that was a joke!

ok so maybe i was getting a little excited lol :whistle:

But.... what happened? i dont get it.. you post makes it sound like some1 drove into the side of your car and the force of the impact pused your car into the kerb?? if thats the case. u wanna igone your wheel and go round to the other side of your car * be prepared to be shocked *

andycupra

status subject to change
Your alloy is repairable!
I've had one damaged way beyond that and it was fixed!
As for your suspension, insurance and stuff, thats another story.

maybe so, but given that the alloys are disscontinued so any issues later will be hard to rectify, the fact somsone else is paying, and seemingly prefering to get new alloys, i see no reason to get it repaired.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.