Hand gestures and park assist - tech help

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Hi all. In the last week or so, i've managed to restart a song and a podcast in the car accidentally after moving my hand towards the infotainment system. I find the manual extremely frustrating in its guidance, and so I was wondering if anyone can very simply explain how the 'hand gestures' or 'gesture control' works, and what you can do with it?

I was also having a discussion at the weekend with a friend in his new RS6. He said the park assist is amazing, and I had to admit that I haven't figured mine out yet. You press the button, you drive forward and indicate left or right, and then what happens? I've got to this position 3/4 times, before the car decides to stop the system. What am I doing wrong?

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
Hi Mike

Regarding the park assist, I found it works best when you give the car plenty of time to scan its surroundings. So don't just pull up next to the spot and start pressing buttons then, as its too late.

My method is the following:

As you have seen the parking spot and have decided on it (You must be quick), slow down and press the parking assist button and signal at the same time. I do this about 7-10m away from the parking spot. This gives the car plenty of time to scan. It doesn't work if you are already positioned for parking. If you decide on a different spot or went too far ahead, or you missed it for whatever reason, the car will just fixate on the next one as you move forward. Continue to drive slowly until the car has seen the spot. Basically you will have passed the parking spot by a few meters by the time the car understands and then wants to reverse into it.

Simply said, it doesn't work if you already passed the spot or are next to or even too close to it, you have to activate the function and signal a few meters before, then drive past the spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Hi Mike

Regarding the park assist, I found it works best when you give the car plenty of time to scan its surroundings. So don't just pull up next to the spot and start pressing buttons then, as its too late.

My method is the following:

As you have seen the parking spot and have decided on it (You must be quick), slow down and press the parking assist button and signal at the same time. I do this about 7-10m away from the parking spot. This gives the car plenty of time to scan. It doesn't work if you are already positioned for parking. If you decide on a different spot or went too far ahead, or you missed it for whatever reason, the car will just fixate on the next one as you move forward. Continue to drive slowly until the car has seen the spot. Basically you will have passed the parking spot by a few meters by the time the car understands and then wants to reverse into it.

Simply said, it doesn't work if you already passed the spot or are next to or even too close to it, you have to activate the function and signal a few meters before, then drive past the spot.
Do you have to put the car into reverse or anything? Or does it just work itself from Drive?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.