Handbrake button

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Parked my Leon 184 3dr as I went to get my hair cut. When I came back I noticed a big spring on my passenger seat. Couldn't workout where from. Then went to take handbrake off and it was already off and fully down, without the button. Found it on the passenger side floor. Completely popped out and handbrake fully released. Lucky I was parked on a flat road and I didn't come back to my car at the bottom of a hill after a few hundred meters of carnage!

Put the spring back in and pushed the button back. Clicked in, doesn't pull back out but does seem a little looser than usual.

Anyone ever had this problem?

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
You got the James Bond edition! Well done!

Seriously though I would get it checked out. Don't want it happening again! Leave it in gear always lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Haha just in time for the new one coming out!

I'll have to try and get it looked at next week then. I know I'll forget to keep it in gear though ha I'll upload any pictures of the mess I make when it goes again!

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
I had this last year, last summer. During a 5-week stay in the Swiss mountains, where a handbrake sometimes comes in handy....

Had the entire handbrake replaced under warranty by a local Seat dealer in Switzerland. Had to drive without a handbrake for a week (waiting for the part) but that's the way it is.

Btw, parking in first gear (or reverse) works fine, even on pretty steep slopes. As a matter of fact I rarely use the handbrake any more these days and 99% of time I just park in first or reverse - I only use the handbrake when parking on a ferry or a very steep hill.

grenade

Jun 22, 2014
North East
Thanks Daniel.
I rang seat today. They booked me in for Tuesday but then advised me to use the seat assistance to get it sorted quicker . The guy came round literally within the hour. Great service seat.

He'd never seen anything like it before but turns out the button had worn down and wasn't clipping in correctly, and without the button and spring the handbrake was releasing.
Did a temporary fix for now whilst still parking in gear then waiting on a new button to arrive and he'll fit it next week.

Really impressed with the service, I said I'd rather he did it then me having to take my car in and be without a car for a day etc.
All free of course as still under warranty.

Saves me a lot of faff and a day without a car or in a seat mii...not my style

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Take care guys, there are reports on here that people who left their cars in gear only have found that they were not where they left them. One recently reported that it rolled out of the drive and impaled a neighbours car

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members